Author Topic: New screen capture tool: Voila - Skitch on steroids?  (Read 5932 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
New screen capture tool: Voila - Skitch on steroids?
« on: December 06, 2013, 08:01:28 PM »
Dear WeatherCat fans,

This morning I got bombarded by two ads for a new screen capture tool: Voila:

http://www.globaldelight.com/voila/

The regular price is $29.99 but it is at a special introductory rate of $19.99.  It has all the functionality of the old skitch and a whole lot more.

You can upload to your own FTP server so that makes it ideal for posting screenshots of WeatherCat without worrying that they might disappear someday:

But you can also do movies, you have a wider range of tools including some basic image processing.  I'm impressed with it given the 1/2 hour or so that I've played with it.  I've found only two short comings so far.  It would be nice if you could upload a scaled version of an image.  May be possible to do that, but I haven't figured out how.  The other thing is that it doesn't check to see if a file already exists, you can inadvertently overwrite an older image.  Skitch would append a random set of characters to the filename to avoid clobbering a pre-existing flies.

It looks like it might be a worthy replacement for the version 1.x version of Skitch that some of us have been using even if it is no longer supported.

It runs on everything from Snow Leopard to Mavericks, so that covers I think just about all of us.

If you go to the website above, you can download a 7 day trial to that you can see for yourself it is a tool worth $20 to you.  Certainly worth spending an hour or so to find out.

So . . . . . . .  For Your Information . . . . . 

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
Re: New screen capture tool: Voila - Skitch on steroids?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 09:40:36 AM »
Hello Edouard,

Thanks for the tip. The FTP upload feature in particular looks interesting. However, if you don't need that I suggest you take a look at the FREE 'Share Bucket' app before pulling the $20 out of your wallet.  ;)
Agree it is a bit of an odd name, but don't let that fool you: it's a really nice and fast app for capturing, annotating and sharing or storing screen captures.

Cheers,

Jos

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 10:15:53 AM »
I am running SnapxProX since I don't know when and am very familiar with it. So no need to change, but thanks for the tip!  [tup]

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 02:45:55 PM »
I gave it a try. The video is interesting, but I don't see a need for that. The capture and share via FTP takes more steps than the free Skitch 1.0.12 (which is still available and not tied to Evernote) and needs to run in the Dock.

Skitch 1.0.12 still works great for me in Mavericks, and the FTP sharing is easier, so I'll stick with it.

Thanks for keeping us up to date on new options, though!
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks gang - evaluating it! (Re: Skitch on steroids?)
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 09:37:09 PM »
Dear Jos, Reinhard, Steve, and WeatherCat software gadget fans,

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!  I decided to give myself the full 7 day trial and see if it is indeed worth the $20.  I agree that it would need something special to be worth the extra money.  However, the idea of being able to take video movies could be very helpful in creating tutorials.  If that works well, I might go for it.  Otherwise indeed why bother when Skitch does everything I need and I'm marooned at Snow Leopard for probably at least 6 more months.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Handles movies nicely. (Re: Voila - Skitch on steroids?)
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 10:15:03 PM »
Dear WeatherCat tinkerers,

A quick update on Voila.  I decided to try making some screen capture movies and Voila handles this very nicely indeed.  Here is an example I've posted elsewhere:

http://youtu.be/vMz_7BdIHpM

Voila has a built-in uploader to put movies on your You Tube account and it has a nice iTunes styled layout to allow you categorize and store your screen captures.

Okay, it is still $20, but it is tempting . . . . . . 

The evaluation continues . . . . .

Mtn.Marty

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4707
    • KNCASHEV25
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 01:33:14 PM »
Just looked and ShareBucket is now $1.99 on the App Store.

Mtn.Marty

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4707
    • KNCASHEV25
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 03:45:34 PM »
Share Bucket is now on Christmas sale for $.99

idunn

• Strong Breeze
  • name: idunn
    • icantono2
    • Magpie Hill
  • Station Details: WS1080, iMac 10.9.5, Canon Powershot A510 zoomed with gphoto2, located at 950m in Gross Switzerland, Webcam view SE to Alps on magpie-hill.com on WeatherCloud (MagpieHill) and Wunderground (ID icantono2)
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 07:20:57 AM »
Hi Edouard and others,
I tried to order Voila but found it has been replaced by the newer Capto, which runs only on newer osx than my 10.9.5. I wrote them and they said sorry. I wrote again and the reply was I could buy Capto and they would send me the Voila license. So I did. I like the youtube possibility. Really $20 or so it not much for our hobbies. Where I live a BigMac is 6.50 and a movie costs 14.
Regards,  Irving

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 02:39:05 PM »
I 'played' with Voila and Capto, but I mainly use Monosnap (free) and occasionally Skitch (when I need to capture a Menu) also free (my favorite price!).

BTW, never take steroids without medical consultations. [lol]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Continue to use Capto (Re: New screen capture tool: Voila)
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 11:00:44 PM »
Dear Irving, X-Air, and WeatherCat screenshot collectors,

Voila and Capto are specialty tools and you need to do enough screen captures to justify the purchase price.  Since I do a lot of beta-testing for WeatherCat, it is worth it for me.  That way I can easily capture something that needs Stu's attention.  Also, I do like to capture the Growl notifications put out by my AppleScripts.  It is a way to capture how a storm unfolded around here.

Cheers, Edouard