Author Topic: Davis Vp2 Relocation and setup  (Read 9431 times)

Tornado Tim

• Strong Breeze
    • Matangi Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 with Solar and WLIP Datalogger (via VVP)
Davis Vp2 Relocation and setup
« on: March 30, 2012, 10:32:44 PM »
Hi all,

I thought I may share with you the new setup I have for my VP2 after moving it.

After of thinking that my readings could be improved on and getting the wind readings fully standardized, I took the plunge and decided to move my station from my home to a very good friends place just down the road from me.

The new location where the weather station sits now is quite exposed so Wind and airflow are uninterrupted around the station.
My friend had some old telephone and power polls which used to carry the telephone line on but now has turned defunct as she had an underground installation done.

The power pole is about 7 meters high and that is where the anemometer will now live, so me and a friend installed the Vp2 anemometer up the pole and I dug a 68 meter trench to the ISS (yes the international space station, LOL) to lay down the anemometer cable.

The ISS wirelessly transmits to my friends home where the console and server live which has VVP on it.
I have also installed a long rage WIFI link between my home and my friends home so the server doesnt need to use my friends internet connection, also I can transmit raw VP2 loop packets back to my home (via WLIP via VVP) so I can keep the weather cat happy and purring along back at my place.

I still need to finish installing my Boltek and Blitzortung Lightning detectors and that will be done this Sunday (1st April).

If you want more information on the long range point to point WIFI link I used id be more than happy to give you more info about it.
The cost for two of the units I bought to get the long range WIFI link going cost less than a long range Davis repeater.

That means if you have a Davis WLIP or a server using VVP (virtual vantage pro) you can transmit the raw Davis packets across the WIFI link at much longer distance for a cheaper price.

For reference the long rage wifi repeater I got is capable of transmitting past 4 km (depending if you have line of sight of course).

Anyway here are some pictures of the setup :)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Nice upgrade!! (Re: Davis Vp2 Relocation and setup)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 03:16:17 AM »
Howdy Tim and WeatherCat fans,

That should be a real improvement . . . . although that anemometer support . . . . not exactly subtle and understated!!

Congratulations!!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. Wish I could get a similar improvement . . . . alas the only plausible strategy involves . . . not simply annoying the neighbors, but getting rid of them!!  :o

P.P.S. Not that I'm not tempted!!  >:(

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Davis Vp2 Relocation and setup
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 03:19:13 AM »
That looks like an ideal siting, Tim! You'r gonna have to mow under the ISS before too long, though! Watch for critters getting in there.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Tornado Tim

• Strong Breeze
    • Matangi Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 09:10:28 AM »
That looks like an ideal siting, Tim! You'r gonna have to mow under the ISS before too long, though! Watch for critters getting in there.

Steve
livestock (be it lambs or cows) will do that for me, (an electric fence will be around the ISS).

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 09:16:16 AM »
Great write-up - thanks for posting it Tim!

Cheers,
Stu.

Tornado Tim

• Strong Breeze
    • Matangi Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 02:34:18 AM »
Thanks guys for the comments :)

drfritzi

• Calm
    • friedrichphoto
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 w 24h FARS Solar, Mac Pro, 16GB, OS X 10.7.3
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 05:31:29 PM »
Looks great, Tim! If you get a chance, I would be very interested in hearing about your long range Wifi repeater set-up.

Tornado Tim

• Strong Breeze
    • Matangi Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 06:47:26 AM »
Looks great, Tim! If you get a chance, I would be very interested in hearing about your long range Wifi repeater set-up.
No Problem,

OK the devices that are used for the Point-Point long-range wifi link Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M5, if you want to a bit further than 1.5km in range go for the Nanostation m5 (not the loco) for anything less than 3km.

You need two of same products to setup the point to point link. In NZ the Nanostation Loco M5 is around $150 NZD each.
I have my Nanostation on the roof of each house (attached to the TV aerial via cable tie) faced towards each other.

I also got around 25meters of outdoor gel filled cat5e cable to connect one nanostation to a router and the other to the PC (this could connect to the WLIP directly).

I had to drill out a hole in the floor to pull the cable through to get to the router and PC respectively.

I also terminated the cable (straight through specification) once the cable had been pulled through the floor.

Let me know if you want more specific info :)

drfritzi

• Calm
    • friedrichphoto
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 w 24h FARS Solar, Mac Pro, 16GB, OS X 10.7.3
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 05:56:58 PM »
Thanks very kindly for the info, Tim. I'm considering an application for another weather (sub)station a couple of kilometres further down the lake and considerably higher in elevation, so products from these folks might fit in very nicely.

All the best and I appreciate you passing this along!
Brian

Tornado Tim

• Strong Breeze
    • Matangi Weather
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 08:56:55 PM »
With these units you do need Mains power to enable extra power to go through ethernet to power the device. (this may be something to consider)
They give you a Poe (power over ethernet) adaptor which you plug into the mains power source one ethernet to the router and the other to the ubiquiti device.