Author Topic: Davis - Firmware 3.15  (Read 7284 times)

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Davis - Firmware 3.15
« on: October 24, 2014, 06:47:16 PM »
Hello all,
just updated my two VP pro2 Consoles from 3.12 (EU) to 3.15 (EU) without problems. WeatherCat recognizes the "new" Console at once.
Step by step what I have done:
? Download the new Firmware to a Windows Laptop (in my case it was an old aged Acer with Win XP on it).
? Connect the Console via USB to the Laptop (I am using an USB [Mac!!!] Data Logger)
? Start the Firmware Update Software on the Laptop with connected Console
? Auto search COM ports, maybe manually for COM ports above 4 or 5 (up to 9)
? The Console restarts automatically after successful update.
No guarantee - for me it does work.  ;)
Cheers,
Reinhard

P.S.: Press and hold DONE then press the + key at the same time to display the console firmware version in the ticker at the bottom of the screen.
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Anything exciting in the update? (Re: Davis - Firmware 3.15)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 10:04:25 PM »
Hi Reinhard and WeatherCat Davis owners,

just updated my two VP pro2 Consoles from 3.12 (EU) to 3.15 (EU) without problems.

Unfortunately, not all of us have Windoze machines handy, so that makes updating the firmware considerably harder.  Was there any feature or bug-fix in that update that really made it worth the effort?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: Anything exciting in the update? (Re: Davis - Firmware 3.15)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 07:11:40 AM »
Was there any feature or bug-fix in that update that really made it worth the effort?
No features, no bug-fixes - just the latest firmware with minor improvements in firmware efficiency.  :)
Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Cyberhusky

• Calm
    • EW1663
    • IRAMBROU2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, WeatherCat on Mac mini
Re: Davis - Firmware 3.15
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 12:59:19 PM »
but firmware 3.x makes problems with old wireless data loggers

see this outstanding resolution to this problem (PDF file)

http://meteo.annoyingdesigns.com/DavisSPI.pdf

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 01:21:38 PM »
Of course, Cyberhusky - they tell it on their download website!

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 09:41:43 PM »
I've been running 3.15 (US) since last June. I can't tell that it is any different but my Internal Temp sensor reads 3? F too high. I don't attribute that to the firmware. I just found it interesting. I have a 3? F offset in the console to "calibrate" it tot he correct reading.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 05:37:31 AM »
Back when I was setting up my VantagePro2 for the first time, I discovered that the inside temperature seemed to be a little erratic. Hours later, after numerous tests using a Fluke multimeter and its thermocouple temperature sensor as a standard, I found that the display light in the console housing was the culprit. When it was on for very long, the inside temp would read about 3? F above ambient as measured by the thermocouple and Fluke.

But, I think Blick and I have had this conversation before.  [coffee]
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 07:15:17 AM »
But, I think Blick and I have had this conversation before.  [coffee]

Yes, we have, but I don't use the console light. Mine just reads high.
Blick

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 03:48:37 AM »
Decided to take the "plunge" and update my Consoles to the newer firmware. Checked the requirements. Found out that there is no way of knowing if the Console is qualifies for the new firmware or not without calling Davis support. I updated the first Consoles, after checking the model # per Davis specs, only to find out that it was no longer reading the internal sensors. Fortunately, it can be backdated easily by re-installing the 1.9 firmware, which I did.
On the other Console, a call to Davis confirmed that it could take the new firmware without problems. Restarted my MacMini in Boot Camp with Windows XP. Download 3.15 firmware installer and uploaded it to the Console. Back up and running in under 10 minutes. Fortunately I don't have a "Green Dot" Console or data logger as described in post above. Good to know that the Console is now (to quote Davis) "running more efficiently." Hmm, wonder if the weather is any better as a result.  ;)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 09:42:58 PM »
Now that I have some Davis hardware on the way, I'm concerned about how to update the software in the future. The dealer says his stuff is all "2015", so it should be (two most over-used words in the language!) up-to-date, software wise. Even though XP is no longer supported by MS, I think it's probably still around and Boot Camp is certainly available. Is there any reason to use one of the more recent versions of Windows?

Thanks, Les!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 07:33:13 PM »
I am still running XP for my firmware updates. Have XP in BootCamp on my weather server, a Mac Mini. Worked just fine.

skipfr

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage 2 with solar - located remotely in SW France. MacBook Pro Retina running Sierra for data downloads.
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 11:17:13 AM »
Hi everyone.
A very helpful thread - and on this advice I've just upgraded by Davis Pro 2 from its April 2006 firmware to 3.15 EU!

Used Windows XP running in Parallels - no problems  [bounce]

Thanks all

Skip
Skip