Author Topic: moving to a new computer  (Read 1815 times)

drewaz

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue, Mac OS Monterey
moving to a new computer
« on: April 08, 2019, 05:19:10 PM »
I have purchased a new iMac that I plan to set up 'clean' (ie, not using migration assistant) and am a little confused on how to transfer all of my WC data to the new machine.  I don't want to lose the archived data and custom graphs.  I plan to download WC but am not sure how to find the data to transfer from my old machine to the new one.  Any help?

The source computer is running Mojave and the WC app is the most recent version.  Davis Vantage Vue.

Thanks!
WU:  KAZPHOEN133

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Instructions on the Wiki. (Re: moving to a new computer)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 10:38:48 PM »
Dear drewaz and WeatherCat system migrators,

I have purchased a new iMac that I plan to set up 'clean' (ie, not using migration assistant) and am a little confused on how to transfer all of my WC data to the new machine.  I don't want to lose the archived data and custom graphs.  I plan to download WC but am not sure how to find the data to transfer from my old machine to the new one.  Any help?

It turns out this topic has come up before and we have an article on the WeatherCat Wiki on exactly which files and folders need to be moved:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Moving_a_WeatherCat_installation_from_one_computer_to_another

If you replicate the folder setup described in the Wiki article on your new computer, you will have exactly the same WeatherCat installation as was running on your old computer.

Please do let us know how the migration turns out.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

drewaz

• Gentle Breeze
Re: moving to a new computer
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 11:11:14 PM »
Thanks Edouard!  I didn't think to look at the wiki. my bad!  I'm a set it and forget it kinda guy.

one question though ...  it says I might need to update the driver.  can you point me in the correct direction to get it?  My Vantage Vue transmits wirelessly to my console and the console is connected to the computer by USB. 

Thanks again ...  people here are always really helpful!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Instructions are . . . .guess where! (Re: moving to a new computer)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 11:09:28 PM »
Dear drewaz and WeatherCat faithful,

one question though ...  it says I might need to update the driver.  can you point me in the correct direction to get it?  My Vantage Vue transmits wirelessly to my console and the console is connected to the computer by USB. 

Odds are that you have an up-to-date driver.  However, you can check just to be sure.  The instructions on how to do that are . . . . also on the WeatherCat Wiki!

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Obtaining_the_latest_drivers_for_use_with_Davis_data_loggers

Thanks again ...  people here are always really helpful!

You are certainly most welcome!  :)

drewaz

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 04:53:49 PM »
The migration is complete!  I followed the directions in the wiki regarding transfer of the data files and all went well except for transferring the WeatherCatBackups or WeatherCatData (can't remember lol) folder ...  I couldn't open the library on my cloned external HD so I couldn't drag it to the new iMac,  and found out that it would fill 2+ DVDs ...  so I'm moving on without it.  I'm assuming  I don't actually need it going forward but I may be wrong.  Also, I did need to install the driver but that was easy.  Anyway, all the data from 2011 when I got my Vue is there!

Thanks again for pointing me in the new direction.  FWIW, the new iMacs are sweet.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 11:00:01 PM »
Dear drewaz and WeatherCat migrators,

The migration is complete! 
. . . .

Good to hear!  :)

Thanks again for pointing me in the new direction.  FWIW, the new iMacs are sweet.

You are most welcome and thanks for the recommendation of the new iMacs.  WeatherCatters do need to upgrade the Macs from time to time.  Sometimes they have to do this in a terrible hurry!  [banghead]  So recommendations are always handy.