Author Topic: More weird rain data  (Read 1802 times)

bdyke1000

• Calm
    • Southwest Iconics
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, Mac Mini, WeatherCat 1.2.3
More weird rain data
« on: October 31, 2013, 07:55:47 PM »
Overnight my rain measurements went from reasonable to (inches):

Time       Daily Rain Raw Rain
2:46PM   1397.00    54.76
2:47PM   1403.10    55.00
2:48PM   1412.24    55.60
Etc.

It is not raining! Any thoughts about what I should do?

Davis Vantage Pro2
Mac Mini
OS X 10.8.5

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: More weird rain data
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:40:16 PM »
Your rain data there doesn't make any sense - the rain out of the console (raw rain) seems to be incrementing, but thedaily value isn't incrementing by the same amounts.

First quit WeatherCat and the check to make sure the rain on the console isn't incrementing, if it is, you'll need to check the hardware. Assuming that's fine, reboot the machine then run WeatherCat - if the problem's gone away, restore your data from yesterday's backup (Tools->Backups). If the problem still exists, take a look at the Live Data View (Tools->Live Data View) to see what your rain data is doing there and post back with info about what it's doing there, on the gauges and graphs.

bdyke1000

• Calm
    • Southwest Iconics
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, Mac Mini, WeatherCat 1.2.3
Re: More weird rain data
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 02:03:47 PM »
Thanks, WCDev. Unfortunately, I don't have a console. However, I experimented a bit:

I disconnected the Envoy and Data Logger and replaced the batteries; and removed and replaced the battery in  the ISS to no immediate effect -- numbers continued to increment when I restarted WeatherCat. However, this morning the anomalous readings have disappeared and the numbers now appear reasonable and stable (all zeros on this gorgeous S. Texas day). I then flipped the bucket on the rain gauge and got a .01 reading that so far has remained unchanged.

My guess is that for some mysterious reason the ISS was sending out a random stream of data, or that the data logger was creating data until the day changed at midnight (a clock sync problem?). I'll wait and see how it goes and contact Davis if it recurs.

Be interested to know if anyone else has had similar problems.