Author Topic: New Silicon Labs USB Driver  (Read 10022 times)

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Re: New Silicon Labs USB Driver
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 09:00:57 PM »
According to my calculator app, 20% of nothing is still zippo. Still, the service was excellent, methinks.

Well then, it's settled! 20% from me, and  15% from Xair!

Do we have any more volunteers?

[beer]
Herb

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 10:28:05 PM »
OK, I finally installed everything. New version OS X. New version WeatherCat. New version of Silicon Labs driver.

Note that I did not restart the computer after the USB driver install, but just checked System information as described below. It showed up as version 4.1.1. I still don't know for certain that a restart isn't necessary to use the new driver. I didn't quit WeatherCat during installation, and the software continued to communicate with nary a bump.

However, I look at it this way? It was working OK. It's still working OK. Before long, I'll be restarting for some other reason. I'm leaving it for now.

[cheers1]

Herb

how did you run the uninstaller? And where can you see the version number for the driver?

Reinhard,

The uninstall script is built in the app (.pkg) as far as I know. There were no runtime messages to tell if it was successful.

To find your version number, head to "Software" and "Extensions" then scroll down to SILabsUSBDriver (see attached).

Good luck,
Alan
Herb

awilltx

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 11:54:54 AM »
Herb,

I didn't quit WeatherCat during installation, and the software continued to communicate with nary a bump.

Interesting. I would think you would have had at least one little blip of a comm error, but maybe you hit it just right!

And yes, eventually you will have to restart everything at some point, but it is good to know.

Alan

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 09:06:59 PM »
OK, I finally installed everything. New version OS X. New version WeatherCat. New version of Silicon Labs driver.
un the uninstaller? And where can you see the version number for the driver?

Herb, what OS X are you running?
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 03:20:38 AM »
OS X 10.10.3 now. Why do you ask, Blick?

[cat]
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 02:08:18 PM »
I just want someone other than me to be the first upgrade to 10.10.3.  :)
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 02:24:44 PM »
I just want someone other than me to be the first upgrade to 10.10.3.
WIMP! :P Don't you want to be on "the bleeding edge"?!  Me neither... although I have been running the Yosemite ?etas... on the mini running WC. There have been a couple of reports from up-graders at Techsurvivor.net. I've simply been too busy to bother yet, although I did download the Combo and Delta installers, so, maybe next week. Only bleeding I do is at a regional blood collection agency, have an appointment in 30 minutes, smatter a fact!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Still waiting . . (Re: New Silicon Labs USB Driver)
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 10:43:05 PM »
Dear Herb, Blick, xairbusdriver, and WeatherCat "victims" of recent OS upgrades.

I just want someone other than me to be the first upgrade to 10.10.3.  :)

I'm still waitin' . . . .

Although the scuttlebutt from MacInTouch has been so far reporting no unexpected booby traps.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2015, 11:27:33 PM »
no unexpected booby traps
That reminds me of the occasional "Your machine has just crashed due to an unexpected occurrence". So, you're saying some crashes are because of known booby traps?! [banghead] [lol] [wink]

Seriously, I usually wait a week or two for updates, and usually at least a month for upgrades, always after as many back ups as I can stand! It's also good to remember that 90% of all reports will be about problems. Everybody likes to complain, not many of us talk about things working properly. I see it on most "news" programs; blood/murder/pain/loss sells! ::)

I feel sure it's OK for you to make the update right now! [tup] Please let us know if you have any problems... :o
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Xipper

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW1914
    • KORPORTL202
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 09:04:47 PM »
Thanks for the headsup on this, and for everyone's piece of mind I just installed it on 10.10.4 (beta) without a reboot and no comm errors from the upgrade.  WeatherCat didn't even notice, and that is the magic of OS X and kernel modules (kextunload/kextload) vs the way Windows does driver management (reboot, twice)...

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2015, 09:51:26 PM »
I just installed it on 10.10.4 (beta) without a reboot and no comm errors from the upgrade.  WeatherCat didn't even notice, and that is the magic of OS X and kernel modules (kextunload/kextload) vs the way Windows does driver management (reboot, twice)...

Nice to know; thanks for the post.
Blick

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2015, 06:19:09 PM »
Geez, I can barely keep up with WC betas, let along Mac OS X betas. Appreciate knowing that the next update in OS X should go smoothly.

glenwood

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW7759
    • KWAGLENW2
    • Glenwood Washington Weather
  • Station Details: macOS Monterey 12.6.8 Davis Vantage Pro2: WeatherCat
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2015, 03:03:35 AM »
Thanks xairbusdriver for referring me to this page and download.  Hope this solves my problems.