Author Topic: FYI: I'm getting one assertive billy-goat station wagon!!  (Read 129447 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Lots of engine leaks. (Re: Assertive billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2013, 07:25:22 PM »
Dear WeatherCat automotive enthusiasts,

Well the the billy-goat wagon soap opera sadly drags on.

It was sure looking like I would be bringing the car home by now.  Alas, as the test drives have been longer and the engine been allowed to warm-up to operating temperature, leaks have started to show up.  Both cylinder head gaskets are leaking.  The oil pan is leaking.  Now the rear crankshaft bearing seal is leaking.

The engine builder had hoped the problem was simply a matter of some loose bolts and offered to fly from Minneapolis, Minnesota to the San Francisco Bay area to try to repair the problem himself.  However a this point, it looks like the problems are more serious than a quick fix like that could cope with.

So I find myself trapped between a shop in California an engine builder thousands of miles away.  I have no idea how I am going to get myself out of this mess.  Definitely looks like this soap opera is going to drag on a few more installments.

Oh well,

Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: FYI: I'm getting one assertive billy-goat station wagon!!
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2013, 07:30:11 PM »
So sorry to hear that, after all the effort. Hang in there.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Perhaps a simple solution after all (Re: Assertive billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2013, 09:24:13 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat automotive enthusiasts,

Well, the engine builder seems to have come up with a reasonable explanation for all the leaks.  This engine is equipped with a crankcase breather to prevent the engine from becoming over-pressurized.  When the engine was tested on the dynamometer, a different breather was installed because it was handy.  The one that is presently on the engine has a baffle that is apparently over-pressurizing the engine.  That pressure has got go somewhere and the hypothesis is that is pushing oil and coolant out the seals.

The folks at Orinda Motors are running some tests right now to see if that is the problem.  Perhaps at least this episode of the soap opera won't be a protracted and miserable as it appeared.

Stay tuned . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2013, 05:13:35 PM »
This engine is equipped with a crankcase breather to prevent the engine from becoming over-pressurized.

Crankcase breathers were first required in cars beginning in 1961. Given that yours is a 1965 model, it seems to me that your engine builder is working on a good theory. Let's hope so!
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Jury still out. (Re: Assertive billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2013, 09:10:55 PM »

Crankcase breathers were first required in cars beginning in 1961. Given that yours is a 1965 model, it seems to me that your engine builder is working on a good theory. Let's hope so!

Yes the theory is good.  Alas, the latest pressure testing sure doesn't seem consistent with an over-pressurized crankcase  . . . . .  so . . . . 

Email has been sent to the engine builder with the results.  Just have to wait to hear what he says.

Cheers, Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Da' Patient is finally home. (Re: Assertive billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2013, 09:58:27 PM »
Dear WeatherCat Automotive enthusiasts,

Well it has taken over 3 years to reach this moment and it ain't over yet.  However, last Friday I brought my trusty wagon home for the first time 9 months.  I'm trying to drive the car as much as practical to get the engine broken in while the weather is still nice.  Yesterday I was able wash and wax the car - I haven't been able to wash my own car since 2009!!  This morning I took her out for a photo shoot with the autumn foliage in the area:

Here is more of a side view:

Finally a view of the station wagon end of things:

There are still problems.  The windshield wiper motor is out for warranty repairs, so the car cannot get caught in any rain.  The oil leaks continue, but they are clearly small as the oil level is holding steady.  I'm going to bring the car back to Orinda Motors for a review after all the miles I've put on the car, but I'm hoping I can take the engine through the break-in process before having Orinda Motors tackle the leaks.

Otherwise, it is a really amazing experience.  The high-performance exhaust is - well - rather loud!! . . .  but I'll get used to it.  The new air conditioner, stereo, instruments, everything seems to working just fine.  It isn't entirely a new car, but . . . . . something has definitely changed!

So hopefully this long ordeal is drawing to a close for me - I hope!!

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2013, 05:08:51 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS!

Thanks for sharing the update. Nice photos. Enjoy.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks - it will take a while. (Re: Assertive billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2013, 11:11:42 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS!

Thanks, it's been a long hard road to get this far!!

Thanks for sharing the update. Nice photos. Enjoy.

Well, "enjoy" might be premature.  This morning the air conditioner refused to work.  The electronic fuel injection clearly isn't self-tuning as it should.  The engine seems to be struggling when it shouldn't have any difficulty.  I think there are going to be a bunch of little things that will need to be straightened out one item at a time.  It is just too drastic a set of changes.  So I'm in for a prolonged shakedown period.  I think it is typical for this sort of restoration-modification.  So, . . . . . still got to give my wagon plenty of . . . luv!

The good news is that the engine builder has decided to fly out and replace the head gaskets, so that problem should get solved in a proper way.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Final injury of a really lousy year. (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2013, 10:55:43 PM »
Dear WeatherCat automobile enthusiasts,

It hasn't been a very good year for my trusty wagon and it ended with just one more dig.

I made another run to further calibrate the self-tuning fuel-injection system and stopped by a drug-store to grab a few items.  When I came out of the store look at what I found:

Yup, some inconsiderable person had slammed door against my car and chipped the paint quite severely.  >:(

The damage looks too serious for the old paintbrush and touch-up paint trick.  So the car will have to head back to the body shop to have that damage repaired.

I had parked away from the store and had an empty space on either side of the car when I arrived.  The miscreant didn't stick around for me to call them on the carpet.  So much for common courtesy.

Man, oh, man am I glad this year is finally coming to an end!!  I've had enough of the 13-jinx blues!!

Cheers, Edouard

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2014, 03:28:23 AM »
Hi Edouard
 Sorry to here about the mishap on the wagon
 But I wish you a Happy New Year

cheers

[cheers1]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2014, 04:35:52 PM »
Ouch! Hopefully it's not too costly to put right Edouard.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Definitely bad for my morale (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2014, 09:31:49 PM »
Hi Randall, Stu, and WeatherCat automotive enthusiasts,

I would hope it won't be to expensive or time consuming to have the body shop touch up these small areas.  Where it hurts is in my morale.  This paint job is essentially brand new since the car hasn't been driven much with the engine problems.  If I cannot make even quick errands with this car, it really becomes a white elephant.  I may be able to fix the car, but there ain't a thing I can do to make people more courteous and polite.  What's an honest classic car lover supposed to do?

Oh well,
Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Wagon starting to earn her keep! (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2014, 08:31:21 PM »
Dear WeatherCat automobile enthusiasts,

So why you ask would go to so much effort and expensive to keep alive an old station wagon?

Does, THIS answer your question?  [biggrin]

P.S. It is only 70 pounds of birdseed, but after all she is just starting to get back to duty!  ;D

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2014, 04:15:55 PM »
I like your all-weather cargo mat. Also, the old school lack of headrests is nicely visible from this angle. Drive on!
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
That reminds me! (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2014, 07:12:08 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat Automotive enthusiasts,

I like your all-weather cargo mat.

Actually that is one of those "you-cut-em yourself" kits that I picked up at a discount auto parts place.  I really should remove that mat and take a look underneath.  There is nice carpeting in the cargo area - I hope!  I haven't seen that carpeting since 2012!!