Author Topic: Iowans and Tornados  (Read 2163 times)

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
Iowans and Tornados
« on: March 28, 2017, 02:35:21 PM »
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Iowans and Tornados
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 05:13:32 PM »
Ha ha ha. Well done Iowa.

When we lived in Texas we experienced several hurricanes and a few tornados. A tornado was worse in terms of damage but only lasted 2 minutes. A hurricane lasts all day so we had a chance to be terrified for many hours. Texas weather is one of the reasons we no longer live in that otherwise great state. We just got tired of having no electric mains for 2 weeks at a time after every hurricane. Two weeks in Texas heat without air conditioning is inhumane.
Blick

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 05:23:47 PM »
I find it funny, those of us who get a lot of nasty weather get less press than those out East who get snow.   Snow is something you prepare for , especially in areas that have a lot of it every year.   Tornados and hurricanes are unplanned and the only thing you shovel away is your home or business.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 05:27:16 PM »
Absolutely true! I read the CoCORaHS blog yesterday about some of the snowfall totals from back East. Whilst some were indeed impressive, others were not. All the headlines about blizzards didn't amount to all that much snow in some places, and they knew it was coming for 10 days.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 07:27:42 PM »
"Back East" = More people = higher media ratings

If I happen to be watching any local TV station, I usually just turn it off if there is a storm anywhere near. They seem to always tilt their radar to the lowest they can which then makes even a gentle rain look its worst. Then they digitize it to remove all the ground clutter which only makes the edges 'cleaner'. Unfortunately, those clean edges often contain dangerous outflows even without a funnel! The last thing they do is constantly plot the path and include a time line. The more storms they can cram onto a screen the better, of course. I fear they are just "crying wolf" so much that people will simply disregard their warnings. I'd rather rely on the local NWS radar (we have two) to give me a better warning. It now passes through WU, however, and that is causing me to want a more reliable source.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Forgot the California point of view. (Re: Iowans and Tornados)
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 11:35:37 PM »
Dear Weatheraardvark, Blick, X-Air, and WeatherCat observers of the widely different opinions to be found in the USofA,

Definitely cute, but it overlooked one other type of Americans that can be found all along the Pacific seaboard but especially in California:

In a suitable "surfer dude" accent:

Tornados dude?  What in the name of Arnold Schwarzenegger is a tornado?   [biggrin]

That's not as true as it once was.  We are starting to get tornados in agricultural lands around places like Sacramento.  However, I don't think the surfer dudes have noticed yet.  After all their hair has been bleached by the sea (or bleach) and it does appear that the effect went beyond the scalp!  [rolleyes2]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. I almost forgot, most Californians probably don't know what a basement is either - most houses out here don't have them!