Author Topic: Moved my anemometer  (Read 4612 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Moved my anemometer
« on: July 16, 2014, 07:56:22 AM »
I spent the entire day relocating my anemometer. For seven years I have just had it mounted on my ISS unit. Wind readings have never been accurate because the unit is blocked by my cabin. Wind direction data has been particularly annoying as the cabin causes the wind to swirl and the result was that the direction was almost always exactly opposite of what was actually happening. I finally came to the realisation that there is no point in measuring inaccurately.

Today I mounted the anemometer on the end of 3-meter pole which I bolted into the end of a glu-lam beam that runs along the top of my cabin. This gets the wind cups about 2 meters above the highest point on my roof, which is about 12 meters above the ground. I ran 30 meters of exterior-grade, waterproof Cat5 cable up to my rooftop and spliced it into the anemometer. Then I spliced the other end into the telephone connector inside the ISS unit. When I plugged it in, the anemomter immediately started detecting wind speed and direction. I love it when a plan comes together.

Whilst I was up there, I got really brave and decided to install the heater in my ISS unit that I had never taken out of the box since I purchased it seven years ago. The Davis-supplied power cable was 50 feet long. Naturally, that was 10 feet too short. Two hours later, after a trip down the mountain to the electrical supplier, I ran 60 feet of 18 AWG four-conductor wire to the ISS and wired up the heater.

When I do something around the cabin, there is always a requirement that I include something stupid so that it takes all day. Today was no exception. Whilst I was drilling a small hole through the exterior cabin wall for the heater power cable, I managed to pick the only spot that would guarantee I would drill right through the Cat5 cable powering one of my security cameras. That only set me back about 90 minutes before I could get the camera back online.

Eventually, the heater was wired up and working. This winter I will be able to melt snow in the collector cup and get an accurate precipitation reading.

At day's end, I am thrilled with the improvements. My wife thinks I'm crazy.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Re: Moved my anemometer
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 08:35:32 AM »
 [lol2]

I love it when a plan comes together! Even if you have to zig zag around your shortcuts! Lol!

Good job, Blick! Sounds like you had a wonderfully productive day.

[cheers1]
Herb

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 11:14:38 AM »
Hi Blick
 Looks great hopefully now you get the reading you want

cheers

[cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Good job! (Re: Moved my anemometer)
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 09:25:35 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat hardware caregivers, . . .

I spent the entire day relocating my anemometer.

. . . .

Congratulations!  [tup]  Sounds like something you've wanted to do for a while and that you will indeed be very pleased with the improved data collection.

At day's end, I am thrilled with the improvements. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

Don't worry, she'll get over it!  ;D

If she doesn't, . . .  next time she bugs you - try this reply: 

Would you prefer that I get into muscle cars!?!?!?? . . . [lol2]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Good job! (Re: Moved my anemometer)
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 12:52:33 AM »
If she doesn't, . . .  next time she bugs you - try this reply: 

Would you prefer that I get into muscle cars!?!?!??

Ha ha, you would know about that!
Blick

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 12:17:26 AM »
I moved my anemometer a while back as well. Put it on a 40' utility pole set on a knoll. Made such a difference. My wind readings are now fairly consistent with the nearby NWS reports, thought I don't quite get the wind speeds as the airport does. Hope it works out well for you.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 06:18:00 AM »
Thanks! Since the move, my daily Wind Run has doubled and the dominant direction has changed. Both are much more accurate than before.
Blick

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 06:14:49 PM »
Speaking of anemometers... Davis Instruments has redesigned the Vantage Pro 2 anemometer. I think it is entirely solid state now, or something like that - definitely a tempting upgrade. Alas, Davis hasn't redesigned the rain gauge, however, or the Console for that matter (as far as I know). Gotta wait until the VP2 is substantially redesigned to warrant spending the money on a new system. Meanwhile, the now nearly 7 or 8 year old VP2 continues capturing data with with few issues.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 06:22:34 PM »
I don't think the console has changed in years. I got 7 or 8 years out of my VP2 before the barometric sensor went south.
Blick