Author Topic: Wondering about transfer of WeatherCat...  (Read 6246 times)

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
Wondering about transfer of WeatherCat...
« on: February 18, 2017, 03:56:29 PM »
Hi all,
I bought a new iMac for my photography business, and so it is sitting in the study I use to do my printing and the vast majority of my work on computer.
The Mac Pro I had is what my WeatherCat is running on, connected to the Davis console by USB.
A question -
I'm only using the Mac Pro (note - big tower, NOT laptop) for networked storage as it has 4 big drives, and other than that it only runs one program - Weathercat. I was thinking of simply moving it to my Studio to a more out of the way location - and besides I can then use the ACD (30" display) in my Gallery on my laptop for lessons - which would be very useful to me.
I was thinking of changing my webpage a bit for my WeatherCat displayed info, and I like to play with it from time to time anyway.
I was wondering - what issues will I run in to if I transfer my Weathercat program to the iMac? I know I'd have to bring the whole directory over, but are there other pitfalls?
I'd also have to figure out an HTML editor (I've got a very old copy of Dreamweaver on the Pro, which I'd prefer not to have to try to re-install and the iMac doesn't even have a CD drive...)
Thanks for any thoughts,
Bill

www.billcurry.ca/weather

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Wondering about transfer of WeatherCat...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 04:39:53 PM »
Bill:

Wow, you have some super duper computing power running WeatherCat!

Moving WeatherCat to another computer is a common occurrence. There is a Wiki article about how to do it. I have moved my WeatherCat twice now, and I just follow the wiki article and it worked out fine.

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Moving_a_WeatherCat_installation_from_one_computer_to_another

Whilst there are many choices for html editors, many of us on the forum use TextWrangler. It it free, it maintains the UTF-8 format if that is your preference, it numbers the lines, it can compare two versions of a file and highlight the differences and it is still being maintained and improved by its developers.

http://www.barebones.com/products/TextWrangler/

Good luck.

Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 04:44:39 PM »
I should also have noted that the developers of TextWrangler state on their website that they are eventually going to retire TextWranger in favour of their paid product BBEdit, but for now, TextWrangler is still available. When you download it they give you one soft push to download the other product instead.
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »
Hi
Blick is correct on the move but my self I like the composer of SeaMonkey for building my web site it has alot of items to chose from and seems to so much easier to use.
Just my 2 cents worth
Good luck on everything

cheers

[cheers1]

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 06:41:38 PM »
Thanks all-
Problem 1-
The Davis serial to Datalogger (to connect the console to the iMac) is not recognized by my iMac.
I am running 10.12 on the new machine, and that may be the issue, but the driver provided by Davis does not work on the new iMac (in fact it won't even install...)
I'll check out their support and see...
Bill

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 07:45:38 PM »
You might have better luck with the Silabs USB driver (if that's what you are talking about, if not, just ignore me like everyone else! ;) ). Perhaps you actually have it installed on the Mac Pro? This post shows the current version and where to check on your Mac Pro to see if it's there.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 08:08:46 PM »
Hi there,
Yes, that's the driver -I have it on my Mac Pro, but it won't even install on the iMac. The issue is when I run the install program, the driver installer crashes and says it "failed". Is there a source for a new driver? Silabs???

Thanks,
Bill

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 08:31:23 PM »
Wait for some one to double-confirm this is the driver you need. It may be a completely different driver for some other purpose, it is version 4.x.13, 8/31/16. That's almost a year after the creation date on my System. Still, it's 'name' is "CP210xVCPDriver". I'll do another search on these forums, I don't remember anyone mentioning an update 'recently'! [banghead]

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 08:48:33 PM »
Thanks.
I looked for a driver and found one, but the Davis Weatherlink software that I still need to adjust it won't use that driver without a Java SE update, which I did and it still fails. I remember going through a lot of this 5 years ago setting up the link - Davis makes great hardware, their Mac software, not so much...
Enough frustration for today - it runs great on my Mac Pro, and it may be staying there! LOL

Bill

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 08:59:04 PM »
Hi Bill
 I know that myself, Blick and Steve are all running iMac's so it should work.

see the attached driver

cheers

[cheers1]

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 10:16:18 PM »
Thanks-
That's the driver I found.
So, do you also run Weatherlink, or can you get Weathercat to find the unit without installing Weatherlink once you have the driver?

Bill

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
So can you connect now? (Re: Transfer of WeatherCat...)
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 11:01:10 PM »
Dear Bill, Blick, X-Air, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

That's the driver I found.

So were you able to install that driver and connect to your station or are you still having problems?

So, do you also run Weatherlink, or can you get Weathercat to find the unit without installing Weatherlink once you have the driver?

You don't need WeatherLink if you have a working Silicon Labs driver.  About the only use for WeatherLink is making some adjustments to a Davis Weather Envoy if you have such a thing.  WeatherCat takes care of everything that WeatherLink does so long as you are wiling to use the console for basic configuration.   It doesn't hurt to keep a copy of WeatherLink around, but it is very unlikely that you'll actually need it.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 12:14:41 AM »
Hi there,
Still having issues.
The driver is installed, but when I run weather cat to set it up, it can't find the station.
The default when I choose Davis VV from the station list is a bluetooth connection port - I assume that's my issue and I need it to find the UART USB.
I'll keep trying, but if anyone has tips - fire away!
Bill

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 01:07:11 AM »
Update -
Got the driver to install and it is correct and I brought up Weathercat but it wants me to set up all over again!
I guess I'll have to hunt and make sure the old Library files are in the correct place...
Thanks for the assistance.
I'll get it going eventually!

Bill

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 01:20:52 AM »
Did you make a Restart after installing the next? Makes no difference now, of course. :headbash: :lol:

You did move the several WC .plist files, right? ;)