Author Topic: iPhoto is dead . . . what you'all doin' . . .  (Read 18825 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: iPhoto is dead . . . what you'all doin' . . .
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2015, 06:11:10 AM »
Beauty Full! Amazing what that little camera can in the hand of a poet! I do have a couple of questions, however...

I thought you guys were having a drought, so how many people had to drain their pools all together to fill that crick?!
Second question is how long did it it take you to place all them rocks?!!!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2015, 06:25:37 AM »
Edouard's the one with the drought. We've had almost 32" of rain here since the first of the year. Ground's so wet, puddles come up in your footprints! At one time it was raining so hard, some raindrops couldn't get out of the way fast enough, so it was raining sideways before it hit the ground! Why it was raining so hard, a farmer lost half his turkeys when a thunder clap caused 'em to look up. Issa-fact?

[cheers1]
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2015, 07:03:58 PM »
Why it was raining so hard, a farmer lost half his turkeys when a thunder clap caused 'em to look up.
Now I know how you got your screen name... [lol]

Was that stream anywhere near the Buffalo or Spring River? Maybe just a tributary?

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2015, 07:37:53 PM »
That was the Buffalo National River at Maumee. Maumee is downriver from the Hwy 65 bridge, about 2/3 of the way to the Hwy 14 bridge. That little shrub was growing on an island. There was much more water flow behind it.

Not so hot today as it is humid. Need to mow before it rains again.

[rainyluck]
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Interesting photos! (Re: iPhoto is dead . . .)
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2015, 11:00:11 PM »
Dear Herb and WeatherCat shutterbugs, . . .

Well, I agree with what you're saying about learning to compose a shot before taking it, however there is always room for kismet as well.

. .  .

Also, given that we all shoot digital, the cost of experimentation is almost nothing.

Point well taken.  Also, we can learn from the experiments of others.  I don't know when I discovered the value of trying to bring the camera as low as possible to take a shot, but it is an angle I often consider - to the mount getting down on my belly in the dirt.  Not the best thing for the camera either!!

Below are two experiments taken over the weekend that I thought turned out well. My idea was to position the camera (in this case, my iPhone) in the rocks to get the shot. I had already taken a picture of the rocks, and it made a good desktop image.

Thanks for the photos and the cute poem.  I do like the effects you can get along a river or stream. 

Just one thing . . . . I'm envious . . . . all that water!!  [sweat2]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2015, 11:42:20 PM »
If I could share it with you, you'd be more than welcome to take all you want.

[rockon]
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Damned if I Lightroom or Photos (Re: iPhoto is dead)
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2017, 11:23:49 PM »
Dear WeatherCat Shutterbugs,

Believe it or not, I finally got around to trying to migrate from iPhoto to Lightroom yesterday.  Sadly what I discovered was deeply disappointing.  The Lightroom import feature did successfully bring in all the photos but two.  Alas, it failed to preserve a key bit of text data: the title of the photos from iPhoto.  Since I've always been careful to provide useful titles, that's a lot of text that could be searched to locate a photo.  There is no reason why Lightroom could not have imported this text.  There is a comment field and the title could have been added there.  Clearly the programmers who wrote the import scheme weren't as detailed-oriented as they should have been.

Lightroom has another irritating feature that rubs me the wrong way.  You cannot sort collections of photos (which is how the events were imported) in any way but alphabetically.  Of course events make much more sense chronologically, but Lightroom has no data-structure to actually capture events in time.  This problem can be solved by prepending to the event names the date in a year-month-day format.  That will "trick" the alphanumeric sort to instead sort chronologically.  Alas, while that will preserve the order, it does require me to rename every collection and there are many such events over the decades.

Of course I could go back and look at Apple's Photos as an alternative.  However, at some point in upgrading my iPhoto library a good number of photo titles got deleted and I didn't notice it.  Without the event names, there are literally years of photos that would have absolutely no text identification.  So given the choice of losing the photo titles or the event names, I'm better off to stick with Lightroom.

For me it is another bitter lesson about how end-users are really at the mercy of developers who are just another one of those business types putting profit ahead of their relationship with me.  I trusted Apple to take care of my decades of photos - I shouldn't have.  It is very much a lesson that everyone should consider in the rush to the cloud.  No matter how carefully you try to protect your digital assets, unless you actually control the software you are using, you are still vulnerable.

I don't think the software industry truly understands how their business decisions effect the lives of their users.  While an auto maker discontinues a car model, you don't lose all the memories you had with that car.  Apple has made it much harder for me to access my memories.  In a fair world, they should be punished for that.

Edouard 

P.S. There is still one more injury to report.  Lightroom is supposed to be able to import photos from iOS devices.  However, since iOS 10 the security features have made it impossible to import photos into the now discontinued iPhoto.  I have the latest version of Lightroom, but it has not been updated either to access an iOS device running these updated security systems.  It reports there are no photos on my iPhone when there were some.  You can work around this as well by uploading your photos to Dropbox and then importing the images into Lightroom, but obviously that is a significantly greater hassle.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2017, 12:21:59 AM »
Sorry for your troubles. You can use iPhoto for as long as you like, but you cannot add anything new to it.

I switched to Photos and I like it for what I need. It's got better photo editing options the iPhoto did, but is a step down from Aperture.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2017, 05:35:35 PM »
I made the switch to Photos sometime last year.  Then over the winter, I bought Fat Cat Software's Power Photos. I used this to import my Aperture library into Photos. http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/powerphotos

I also bought MacPhun's Luminar, which is every bit as good as Aperture. Luminar has a powerful Photos plugin. https://macphun.com/luminar
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2017, 09:50:25 PM »
Sorry your transfer did not go as you wished.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Looks like Lightroom import didn't work right (Re: iPhoto is dead)
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2017, 11:06:36 PM »
Dear Blick, Steve, X-Air, and WeatherCat Shutterbugs,

I spent some more time researching this and something is rather odd here.  The Lightroom Import is supposed to import photo titles correctly for Aperture, but Adobe doesn't make the same claim for iPhoto.  In my haste I missed the title field in Lightroom, its right there in the metadata.  Also, the import successfully moved all the text in descriptions.  It really seems hard to believe that Adobe would screw up on something so fundamental, so it seems more likely that my import failed for some mysterious reason.  I'll do some more research and if I don't turn something up, I'll post a question on the Adobe Lightroom support forum.

Just what I needed - another forum to deal with!

Thanks for your support guys! ThU5:-)

Cheers, Edouard    [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2017, 07:55:33 PM »
Had some free time and did a bit of 'testing' in Photos. I'll send you a bill later this month.

First, despite the info that says iPhoto runs in Sierra, I ended up using Photos instead. While iPhoto opens and displays my images, I could not get the standard Nav dialog to accept my (Cancel/Create/Save/etc.) button selections where I tried to create a folder for the images I had selected to Export. Not sure why. I even had to use "Force Quit" to get out of iPhoto! Simply opening Photos will automatically import your iPhoto library/images without affecting their state.

It appears that you might be able to maintain your 'event' system, at least with the 'date' structure in Photos. It will not be an "all-in-one-process" however.

The process is to simply Export a selection of images from Photos/iPhoto into a specifically name directory. In other words, select an 'event' in Photos/iPhoto and Export it. I'd suggest using the event's name for the new directory. Obviously, since you have thousands of images, this could take quite a while.

The default location that LR uses for Importing is the Pictures directory (a normally created directory in every users directory).

Note: You should probably look in the Pictures directory for a directory called "Lightroom". That should have been created when you did your previous importing. Inside, you should find a "Catalog.lrcat" file. That is the database that contains links to all your images and any meta data that may have been imported from iPhoto. I'd suggest simply archiving everything in that "Lightroom" directory so the new imports will be in the new directory rather than ending up with duplicate entries in that old database.

If you are looking for a "LR forum" I'd recommend Lightroom Forums. I've not been there long, but they seem very helpful and friendly, even to noobies! Once you sign up, you can also download a LR Quickstart Guide. Here's an excerpt of a section on organizing images:
Importing photos into Lightroom doesn?t force you to rearrange them. If you already have a well thought outling system, you can keep your existing folder structure. As far as Lightroom?s concerned, your choice of folder structure doesn?t make a lot of difference. Folders are just a place to store the photos, and you can use metadata/keywords to organize them.
That said, you do need some level of organization to make it easy to back up your photos, and it?s best to avoid duplicating photos in multiple locations (other than as backups, of course). Many people choose a date-based folder structure, with folders for days (or shoots) within folders for months, which in turn are in folders for years.
And a warning about 'messing' with your images outside LR:
You can rename the files at any time, as long as you do it within Lightroom, but doing it at the time of import means that any backups you make while importing will have the same names as the working files.
(emphasis added)

Importing from Photos can be done, even if you have 14,000+ images! Thread: Importing from iPhot[sic] and Photo

Good luck, young Will Robinson! ThU32:-)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
The perils of taking a lot of photos! (Re: iPhoto is dead)
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2017, 12:38:50 AM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat "mature" shutterbugs,

First, despite the info that says iPhoto runs in Sierra, I ended up using Photos instead. While iPhoto opens and displays my images, I could not get the standard Nav dialog to accept my (Cancel/Create/Save/etc.) button selections where I tried to create a folder for the images I had selected to Export. Not sure why. I even had to use "Force Quit" to get out of iPhoto!

Not sure what to say about that.  I did find reports that iPhoto works just fine on Sierra.  I would prefer to migrate to Lightroom before upgrading to Sierra, but to do that I need to understand why Lightroom wasn't able to successfully read the iPhoto photo data.  Steve pointed us to the outfit that makes iPhoto Library Manager:

https://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

One of the things it can do is repair a corrupted iPhoto library.  Now that I think about it, this could explain some problems I'm having including why Lightroom wasn't able to import two photos that were otherwise perfect.  That might be the root cause of my problems.

It appears that you might be able to maintain your 'event' system, at least with the 'date' structure in Photos. It will not be an "all-in-one-process" however.

Unfortunately, that doesn't sound particularly practical.  I have almost 8862 photos in 1467 events!  Some are as old as 1968 as I digitized photos from when we first moved back to California after an overseas assignment.

Note: You should probably look in the Pictures directory for a directory called "Lightroom". That should have been created when you did your previous importing. Inside, you should find a "Catalog.lrcat" file. That is the database that contains links to all your images and any meta data that may have been imported from iPhoto. I'd suggest simply archiving everything in that "Lightroom" directory so the new imports will be in the new directory rather than ending up with duplicate entries in that old database.

If I have reason to believe the previous import was potentially corrupted, I think my best recourse is to wipe the Lightroom data completely clean and effectively start over as if nothing had been imported into Lightroom.  I don't know how to do that, but I hope this isn't too difficult to do.

If you are looking for a "LR forum" I'd recommend Lightroom Forums. I've not been there long, but they seem very helpful and friendly, even to noobies!

Okay, thanks for the tip! ThU32:-)  Just one small problem with it - do I really have to deal with another forum? . . .  [banghead]

Once you sign up, you can also download a LR Quickstart Guide. Here's an excerpt of a section on organizing images:
Importing photos into Lightroom doesn?t force you to rearrange them. If you already have a well thought outling system, you can keep your existing folder structure.

Unfortunately, Lightroom doesn't have the freedom to really organize my photos the way I would like them to be - exactly as they are now in iPhoto.  The key problem is that Lightroom converts iPhoto events into collections.  Lightroom has exactly one way to sort collections - alphabetically.  This was confirmed on a Lightroom forum (I don't remember which one.)  However, there is a way to trick Lightroom into sorting collections chronologically.  I'll live with that.

Unfortunately, it was a busy day and I never made it back to this project.  Perhaps tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions!  :)

Cheers, Edouard    [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2017, 03:57:49 PM »
I'm not a big user of LR. One probably needs good, if not great, images to begin with! [banghead] [blush] When I finally tracked down the fact that there was an update for the Perpetual licensed version, I soon discovered that I had also done the big "nono" of rearranging images outside of LR! With your posts and my lack of expertise, I'm biting the bullet and getting things organized while setting up the links in LR. It's also giving me an incentive to pare down some useless, meaningless images.

I discovered one thing about file names that I should have known. For some time the OS has allowed using "/" in file names and I have done that to my detriment. The problem comes when listing those names in apps or places that enforce the restriction on characters that are used in other systems ("\", "/", ":", etc.). Files/folders where I had used "/" appeared in LR lists with a ":" instead. Had me confused for awhile seeing a file like "12:08" instead of "12/08". [banghead] [rolleyes2] Laziness always gets me into trouble...

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2017, 11:51:59 PM »
I also bought MacPhun's Luminar, which is every bit as good as Aperture. Luminar has a powerful Photos plugin. https://macphun.com/luminar

Thanks for the tip Steve. I just bought Luminar.
Blick