Author Topic: Data import  (Read 3807 times)

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
Data import
« on: September 24, 2012, 01:43:26 PM »
Err, I'm probably missing something fundamental here, but I can't find any way to import data into WeatherCat, is there a way to import from Weather Underground for instance ?

JC

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Data import
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 04:57:41 PM »
Not as far as I'm aware - the most popular request for import is from WeatherLink. Having said that the WeatherCat data format is documented in the manual, so it should be possible to come up with a script that imports from whatever format you want.

Cheers,
Stu.

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 07:28:58 PM »
Hi Stu,

Yes, importing .WLK would be great (and allow me to import 10 years worth of data). Is this still on your to-do/feature list or does the above mean it is not, and you are looking for volunteers to pick this up? I would if I could... but guess I picked the wrong subject in school.  [goofy]

Thanks,

Jos

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 08:33:57 PM »
Hi Jos,
Yes, it's on the todo list but is dependent on some other stuff I need to do first.

LWC could import WeatherLink files - if you have a copy, you can import the data into that, then move the data files and year folders to WeatherCat's data folder and change the file extensions to match what WeatherCat wants - WeatherCat will deal with generating the right data when it boots.

Hope this helps,
Stu.

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 10:41:56 PM »
Hi Stu,

Awesome! All done. [woohoo]

For those interested:
1 - I tried this before but the problem was I couldn't get LWC to work. Always came up with (you may remember this one): "Your Vantage is reporting the rain collector is set to 0.1mm. This is an invalid configuration. Please change it to either 0.01 inches or 0.2mm's".
Only option after that is to Quit LWC.  :-\
Not everyone is facing this so skip if you're among the lucky ones.

2 - However... it takes a few seconds before the error pops up and I managed to quickly switch to the LWC_Importer, just before LWC quits because of the error.

3 - Then imported the .WLK files using the LWC_Importer --> LWC2 creates a directory for each year and puts X_LWC_Data.lw2 files in there (where X is the month number, e.g. 1 for Jan, 2 for Feb, etc.)

4 - Quit LWC_Importer and rename each file to X_WeatherCatData.cat and copy the folders (one for each year) over to ../user/library/WeatherCatData/

5 - Start WC and voila, it will start creating statistical data.

Thanks Stu!

Jos