Author Topic: Saratoga Template-Problems w/ ajax-gizmo update (Date/Time Display & Rain Rate)  (Read 4857 times)

monymony

• Strong Breeze
  • CoCoRaHS - MD-CC-16
    • EW3643
    • KMDELKTO10
    • Cecil County Maryland Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Hello All,

Running into a small issue which I think is coming from the ajax-gizmo.php page from the Saratoga templates.  Here is what is happening...
  • When I first load my page (i.e. index.php) everything is correct with both the last updated date (Sep-24-2013 1:59p) and the rain rate/hr (0.00in) formats
  • After 10 seconds, the gizmo does an update and the updated time changes to a 24-hour clock (09/24/13 13:59).  Also my Rain Rate/Hr goes from 0.00in to 0.000in
I been over all of the settings and cannot explain either issue.  From my settings.php file my time/date settings are:
  • $SITE['timeFormat'] = 'D, M-d-Y g:ia T';  // Day, 31-Mar-2006 6:35pm Tz  (USA Style)
  • $SITE['timeOnlyFormat'] = 'g:ia';          // USA format h:mm[am|pm\
  • $SITE['dateOnlyFormat'] = 'M-d-Y';        // for Mar-31-2008 or 'j/n/Y' for Euro format
My site for the moment is only running internally so I cannot provide a link for anyone to take a look at.  I want to get all of these issues resolved before release this to the internet.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I've attached a screenshot to show what I am seeing. 

Thanks!

Jay

saratogaWX

• Strong Breeze
  • Weather website programming enthusiast
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
  • Station Details: Davis VP1 +, iMAC 21, OSX 10.6.8
Re: Saratoga Template - Problems with ajax-gizmo update
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 08:04:41 PM »
When your page first loads, it is PHP (and the settings inside of Settings.php) that determines how the date/time is put in the HTML of the page returned to the browser.  After the page is loaded, the ajaxWCTwx.js JavaScript begins execution in the browser, reads the WCT_realtime.txt, and rewrites parts of the HTML page by replacing contents of the <span class="ajax" id="..."></span> pairs.

The ajaxWCTwx.js has only limited formatting capabilities for date.. mainly whether to display the date as dd/mm/yyyy or mm/dd/yyyy format - the dd-MON-yyyy format is not available in the JavaScript.

I suggest you settle on dd/mm/yyyy or mm/dd/yyyy format for your date format both in PHP and the Javascript.. then the change when the JavaScript begins execution will just be a 'green flash' of the characters.

The time format is flexible in PHP, but again, the JavaScript simply presents the contents of the second field in WCT_realtime.txt, so those contents are determined by WeatherCat template for WCT_realtime.txt .. no additional formatting is available in the JavaScript.

Currently, the WeatherCat tags used in the WCT_realtime.txt template are:

de$|t24s$|

for the first two fields.

Hope this helps...

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis Vantage Pro Plus - FARS, Boltek-PCI/NexStorm, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteohub, WeatherSnoop, WeatherCat
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

monymony

• Strong Breeze
  • CoCoRaHS - MD-CC-16
    • EW3643
    • KMDELKTO10
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 11:39:38 PM »
Thank you Ken!

That was extremely helpful.  Working for a European-based company I have gotten into the habit of avoiding using numbers for the month since there is always confusion between mm/dd/yyyy and dd/mm/yyyy. 

Now that I knew where to look, I set an array to change the month (tdate[1]) to the appropriate three letter abbreviation.  I also used similar logic to get rid of the leading "0" on the time as it was driving me crazy.   While I am certainly not a Java programmer, I knew enough about coding in other languages to figure this out.  In case anyone is interested this is what I did (approximately line 900 of the ajaxWCTws.js file):

// current date and time of observation in realtime.txt
      //JMM (9/24/13) - Added code to put in three letter month abbreviation (i.e. Jan, Feb, etc) since
      //Java ignores settings from settings.php

//var ajaxtimeformat = realtime[1]; //JMM
      var ajaxdateraw = realtime[0]; // comes in dd/mm/yy, dd-mm-yy or dd.mm.yy format
      var tdate = ajaxdateraw.split("/");
      if(typeof(tdate[2])=='undefined') {tdate = ajaxdateraw.split("-"); }
      if(typeof(tdate[2])=='undefined') {tdate = ajaxdateraw.split("."); }

//JMM - These lines were all changed to add Month and remove leading "0" from time.  Also
      //updated the WCT_Realtime.txt file to change the t24s$ to t12s$.
      var arr = new Array("Jan","Feb","Mar","Apr","May","Jun","Jul","Aug","Sep","Oct","Nov","Dec");
      var m = parseInt(tdate[1])-1; //JMM
      var ajaxdateformat = arr[m]+"-"+tdate[0]+"-20"+tdate[2];

var ajaxtimeformatraw = realtime[1];       
      var ttime = ajaxtimeformatraw.split(":");
      var ajaxtimeformat = parseInt(ttime[0])+":"+ttime[1]+":"+ttime[2];

//Updates sometimes do not work machines not set to mm/dd/yyyy.  If error then will revert to previous code.
      if(typeof(arr[m])=='undefined' || parseInt(ttime[0])=="0")  {
         var ajaxdateformat = tdate[1]+"-"+tdate[0]+"-"+tdate[2];
         var ajaxtimeformat = realtime[1];

}         

//JMM - End Edits

I also did change my WCT_Realtime.txt file to change the t24s$ to t12s$. 

For the other issue where the rain rate was changing to 0.000 in/hr I did find the problem and I believe there is a small bug with the code.  In the code:

var rainratehr = convertRain(realtime[8]); // make per hour rate.
set_ajax_obs("ajaxrainratehr",rainratehr.toFixed(dpRain+1) + uomRain);

The 'dpRain+1' seems to be the problem.  I am not sure why this is in the code and changing this line to:

set_ajax_obs("ajaxrainratehr",rainratehr.toFixed(dpRain) + uomRain)

does resolve the issue.  Best guess is this 'dpRain+1' is for millimeters but honestly I really do not know.

Again thank you for your helpful pointers as I slowing getting things tweaked just as I like and better yet I am learning a lot along the way!  Now time will tell if my changes managed to break anything.  :D

Jay

monymony

• Strong Breeze
  • CoCoRaHS - MD-CC-16
    • EW3643
    • KMDELKTO10
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 12:31:57 PM »
FYI... I have tweaked my code list above to better handle errors that appear to happen on machines not set to the US mm/dd/yyyy date format.  If something strange is detected then code just reverts to the original settings.