Author Topic: Extreme and/or rare weather - observations  (Read 2672 times)

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
Extreme and/or rare weather - observations
« on: September 29, 2012, 09:24:06 AM »
Hi WC fans,

I thought it may be useful to have a separate topic on Extreme weather. Could be for your location although I am personally interested in any weather related news from all over the globe.

I'll post observations here in the future but not much to report today. Bit of a dull (is the weather ever dull?) day in the Netherlands today. Not in Spain yesterday, where Alpandeire (Southern Spain, near Malaga) reported 226.6 mm in 24hrs.

Extreme weather I remember vividly (for my location) dates back to 10 May when a strong rain shower made the rain intensity go up to 198.6 mm/h. Luckily it did not last long.  ;D
Jos

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
Re: Extreme and/or rare weather - observations
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 02:20:30 PM »
There certainly has been some terrible weather in Spain Jos, I found this link in another forum, with pictures of tornado and flood related damage.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2012/09/28/album/1348828356_481928.html#1348828356_481928_1348928430

JC

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Eye opener pre-dawn ET value (Re: Extreme weather)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
Howdy WeatherCat fans,

Here is a kind of extreme weather of an usual sort that I thought folks might find interesting.

We are having one of those autumn hot weather events which are analogous to Southern California's Santa Ana winds.  In this case, the mechanism is slightly different and is apparently disturbing the weather forecasters.  There is a ridge of high-pressure sitting off of the coast not too far from San Francisco and it is compressing the air on top of us.  However, the normal wind pattern under such conditions (in particular an off-shore flow,) isn't happening.

In the hot weather I never sleep as well, so I was up a bit early - well before dawn.  When checking the Vantage Pro-2 console, I saw something very surprising: the daily evapotranspiration value was already 0.01":

That meant that the ambient heat and very low humidity had already removed 0.01" (0.25 mm) of moisture from grass (according to The Penman-Monteith equation.)

Somehow, I thought that at the very least plants would get some relief during the pre-dawn hours, but here is a concrete example of how demanding an arid environment can be on plants.

Does any WeatherCat user in a desert environment have an even more extreme example?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]