Author Topic: New Member Introductions  (Read 51528 times)

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
    • N9CXI Eastwood Indianapolis Indiana WX station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
Re: New Member Introductions
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 04:42:03 AM »
Well that's two for WC the Mobile Edition!

Doc
Take care and have fun!  Slainte Mah!

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 09:56:24 PM »
Lol - I wonder if we'll ever see GPS built-in?

Stu.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Telescopes come with built-in GPS (Re: New Member)
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 02:04:42 AM »
Howdy Stu and WeatherCat mobile wantabees!!

Well, there are a number of "premium" telescopes with a built in GPS so that the scope could align itself to the North without any human intervention.  So if the price of GPS circuitry continues to go down . . . . why not weather stations with built-in GPS?  [bounce]

Stu, start schemin' . . . .  [biggrin]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 02:46:23 AM »

Stu.

There are already mobile weather stations with GPS built in.
http://www.airmartechnology.com/2009/products/marine-product.asp?prodid=11150
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 08:23:55 AM »
Cool stuff. What would be even better would be to have built into the Mac :)

Cheers,
Stu.

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 11:44:36 PM »
I just wanted to welcome LesCimes aboard,
 Him and I came over from the other mac weather program about the same time when LWC first came out
 [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome LesCimes!! (Re: New Member)
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 12:52:48 AM »
Howdy Randall, LesCimes, and WeatherCat fans,

Here, here, I'll second this motion!!  [tup]

I just wanted to welcome LesCimes aboard,
 Him and I came over from the other mac weather program about the same time when LWC first came out

Indeed LesCimes, where have been all this time?  ??? Out in the cold  [freeze] without a cat?  [cat]

Welcome!!

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 11:22:51 PM »
Gentlemen, thanks for the welcome back! Guess I have had my "head in the sand!" Didn't discover WeatherCat until a short while ago when, in a moment of nostalgia, I looked up Stu's WU site in Scotland where it lists WeatherCat for the software. Geeze, I had no idea. Started checking around and, voila, back in the forums. Sure is good to be reading the news, catching up with Doc's reports, and everyone else, not to mention WeatherCat.
You may recall that I take a long hike every summer. This summer's trip is about to begin. So I'll be back on the forums regularly toward the end of July and will make the switch to WeatherCat then. Meanwhile, LWC2 has been running virtually untouched for months on my Snow Leopard MacMini.

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
    • N9CXI Eastwood Indianapolis Indiana WX station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 01:39:58 AM »
Welcome back LesCimes!

Take care and have fun!  Slainte Mah!

jimtcrowe

• Calm
    • EW2602
    • KALFORTP9
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2-WeatherlinkIP
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 01:56:45 AM »
Hi,
My name is Jim and I am knew to this board.  I am totally lost, I think I am in over my head.  I have successfully installed by Weathercat, and am trying to upload to weather bug, but when I try to follow the scripts I get growler issues or something, and I just go from one problem to another.  I need someone who can walk me through the process at a 10th grade leve.  How to find the items and then run the necessary scripts etc.  I am so lost......but I recently got my Davis station up and really love this stuff, but am discouraged, because most to this is over my head.
Thanks so much,
Jim

and I don't even know how to check and see if I get a reply to this email.  This is the first board I have ever used.....help....

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 09:07:46 AM »
Hi Jim and welcome to Weather Cat  [tup]

I'm afraid I do not upload to weather bug, so I'm not familiar with the scripts to send data to them, I assume your using one Edouard' s applescripts ? I think weatherbug where having big problems a week or two back perhaps they haven't sorted them all out yet if your starting a new account.

Have you tried uploading to CWOPs and or Weatherunderground ?  Stu the developer has added very useful scripts in the Weathercat/preferences/online/  section of the program which even lead you through setting up an account with both services, they seem to be the most popular services to upload your data to when going on-line.

It all seems very daunting at first, but before you know it, things will seem so much simpler and make a lot of sense. Lot of good people in this forum, who are willing to help, keep asking questions, don't think it's a stupid question, don't forget everybody had to go through a learning process to understand how programs work, how to upload to external sites. write and go online with your own web site etc.

Regards

Jace (JC)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Start with Weather Underground first. (Re: New Member Introductions)
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 08:13:50 PM »
Hi Jim and welcome to the WeatherCat forum,

My name is Jim and I am knew to this board.  I am totally lost, I think I am in over my head.  I have successfully installed by Weathercat, and am trying to upload to weather bug, but when I try to follow the scripts I get growler issues or something, and I just go from one problem to another.

I second JC's suggestion.  If at all possible keep things simple.  It is much easier to get yourself uploading data to Weather Underground than to use my AppleScripts.  See if you can follow the instructions on the WeatherCat manual starting on page-69.  It is best to work your way to uploading data to WeatherBug if that is truly your desire.  Unfortunately, the AppleScript I wrote simply weren't the proper way to solve this problem and I have since become entangled in an extremely complex classic car restoration and don't have any time to rewrite this stuff.

If you feel "over your head" there is good reason for it.  WeatherCat is a very complex program that can do - many, many things!!  Most of us have taken years to become proficient with it.  Give yourself some time to start "walking."  Trying to upload to WeatherBug is like trying to run a marathon.  It just isn't going to happen.

jimtcrowe

• Calm
    • EW2602
    • KALFORTP9
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2013, 08:58:10 PM »
Thank you.  Yes I purchased weathercat specifically because I wanted to upload to weatherbug.  I found the script and edited them.....but they don't seem to be uploading, then I awoke this morning to literally hundreds of message about my uploads not going though.  Weatherbug, CWOP and Wunderground.    I uninstalled and reinstalled and now i have a continuous error message on my screen where its looking for historical data....probably a folder I deleted???

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
No easy way out. (Re: New Member)
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 09:25:31 PM »
Dear Jim,

I'm sorry that you have gotten yourself into this predicament.

Thank you.  Yes I purchased weathercat specifically because I wanted to upload to weatherbug. 

I hate to say it, but this isn't the simplest way to upload to WeatherBug.

If that is really very high on your priority list, perhaps you should consider another Macintosh Weather Program instead.  WeatherSnoop:

http://www.weathersnoop.com/features/share.php

It includes support for uploading to WeatherBug directly.  Honestly, I wrote my AppleScripts because at the time there was no other way for WeatherCat to upload to WeatherBug and there was enough interest that folks were willing to put up with the hardships associated with my AppleScripts.

If you don't have any need for many of the other features associated with WeatherCat, I believe you could ask for a refund from the developer of WeatherCat (Stuart Ball) and you are likely to receive it.

I found the script and edited them.....but they don't seem to be uploading, then I awoke this morning to literally hundreds of message about my uploads not going though.  Weatherbug, CWOP and Wunderground.    I uninstalled and reinstalled and now i have a continuous error message on my screen where its looking for historical data....probably a folder I deleted???

Unfortunately, at this point I fear that your WeatherCat installation is probably corrupted.  If you would like to try to get WeatherCat working, I think the first thing you should do completely remove and reinstall WeatherCat.  The instructions for removing the all WeatherCat files are on page-178 of the WeatherCat manual.

If you would like to continue trying to use WeatherCat to do accomplish this goal, I recommend that you start by trying to install some of my simpler AppleScripts first so that you get the hang of how the work.  The simplest of the AppleScripts are the WC Temperature Rising and WC Temperature Falling scripts to generate Growl notifications from custom temperature alerts.  The next simplest script is the WC Zambretti Forecaster.  Under no circumstances should you automatically launch all the AppleScripts using Start WeatherCat Scripts and Stop WeatherCat Scripts.  Until you have gotten an AppleScript to work reliably it should be started and stopped independently of WeatherCat to avoid compounding problems from AppleScripts that have not been configured.

I'm afraid that's the best advice I can offer you.

jimtcrowe

• Calm
    • EW2602
    • KALFORTP9
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 01:38:39 AM »
Thank you very much for the information.