Author Topic: Anyone using the new Sharx Security SCNC3924 with EvoCam?  (Read 4390 times)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Anyone using the new Sharx Security SCNC3924 with EvoCam?
« on: September 22, 2017, 03:31:47 AM »
I just got two of the new SCNC3924 cameras, one to replace a dead 3905. The camera works fine, and is much sharper than the old camera. But EvoCam 3.7.6 doesn't recognize it. I wondered if anyone else has one of the new cameras, and happens to be using it with a newer version of EvoCam.

I bought EvoCam 3.X and 4.X, but stuck with 3.7.6 because 4 was so horrible. Now the developer has closed shop and the domain has expired, so there's no way to get a license for EvoCam 5, even if it does work with the newer cameras. SecuritySpy might work, but it is $206!!!

Trying to find what my options are here...

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Anyone using the new Sharx Security SCNC3924 with EvoCam?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 06:56:44 AM »
Sorry Steve. I was just in the process of pulling the trigger on Evocam when it folded so I never got it installed. Have you asked the guys at Sharx if the have a recommended alternative for Evocam?
Blick

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 10:42:15 AM »
I'm still using older versions of Sharx cameras, Steve, so I don't know if EvoCam will work with these new ones.

To refresh, here's a couple older threads with replacement suggestions from Blick. I bookmarked them on the earlier discussions knowing that I'd be facing this problem at some point too.

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2240.0

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2340.msg22845#msg22845

And check your PMs.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 03:11:53 PM »
John,
No I haven't. EvoCam 3.7.5 works so well, I've been hoping to stick with it.

Felix,
Thank you for the reply. I too have the previous discussions for EvoCam bookmarked. I'm hoping not to have to switch, though, as I've been very pleased with EvoCam over the years. And, I've been hoping that Stu adds a multi-camera option to WeatherCat at some point.

Thanks guys,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 04:34:35 PM »
Just to come back to this for closure; I am now using Ben Software's SecuritySpy for my IP and USB cameras. (http://www.bensoftware.com/securityspy/)

Yes, it is expensive, and there are some things that EvoCam did that SecuritySpy can't easily. But I've found workarounds for everything I need for my web site and for my personal use.

One of the nice features, is that it has its own DDNS server, so me not having a fixed IP address in't a problem for remote viewing. There is a nice iOS app available, so we can check out the house while on the road, an Apple TV app, which is handy for checking the front door from the couch :) , and a screensaver app that I use on my wife and daughter's laptops without having to run another copy of SecuritySpy.

Hint: If you try out SecuritySpy and decide that you want to buy it, set up several cameras using the demo mode. I had five running when the demo ran out and I purchased the four camera license, and all five still work! I wish now that I'd added the other two unmounted cameras before purchasing.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 05:05:47 PM »
Thanks for the update Steve. Glad SecuritySpy is working for you, although at a hefty price. But hefty is relative. I ended up going with a proprietary custom system that is tied to my security camera DVR and a central monitoring system so my solution cost quite a bit more than yours.
Blick

Felix

• Gale
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 02:40:21 PM »
Thanks for the legwork, Steve.

I'm getting closer to adding one of the new Sharx HTNC cameras to my setup. And since you've already determined that EvoCam doesn't play with the new Sharx series, I'll have to change controlling software as well.

Sharx had already recommended SecuritySpy so I've been looking at it but it's always good to hear from someone actually using the software in a multi-cam setup of current and legacy hardware.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 03:07:50 AM »
I believe Evocam is an orphaned app, no longer being developed nor supported.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Felix

• Gale
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 11:36:31 AM »
Right you are X-Air.

That's why I'll be needing new controlling software when I upgrade to the Sharx camera HTNC series and run a combination of older and newer cameras concurrently. But as of right now, v5.0 is still working fine and I'll be sorry to let it go. It has served me well and I'm disappointed the developer just dropped it unexpectedly and snuck out of town in the 'dead of night.'

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 04:43:00 PM »
I?m not sure what hour of the day it was when he folded up the ?shop?.  :o But he may just have run out of extra hours in the day to keep all the balls in the air. I once created a grade book program (we didn?t call them apps back then!) that used AppleSoft Basic(!) and, naturally, ran on an Apple][(with 16K ram, max). My wife quit teaching and then the Macintosh spoiled me. Only a few people actually bought the program but some went to a few county schools. I suspect most of the teachers moved on to spreadsheet programs on the PC?s that replaced the Apples. Fortunately, ?programming? was just a hobby.

Most apps always include a User Agreement says they are supplied ?as is? with no mention  of future development or even existence. I would assume the Evocam dev is keeping busy at whatever his real job is. Even Apple stops supporting some of their useful apps; the old versions of iWorks (some would include Apple Works), HyperCard. Aperture, etc. ?Progress? is often painful or at least inconvenient! These slippery bits make it even easier to lose what?s created with them!! [banghead] Maybe another reason to be thankful for having WC continually improved with nary an update fee!! :jawdrop:  ThU5:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system