Author Topic: Mojave?? Remember!! You are askin' for it!  (Read 7796 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Mojave?? Remember!! You are askin' for it!
« on: September 18, 2018, 10:49:13 PM »
Dear WeatherCat followers of da' cult of Apple,

It is official, macOS Mojave is going to "hit the Internet" this coming Monday.  This should raise two somewhat independent issues for the WeatherCat community:

• When to upgrade to Mojave on any Mac you own?
  • When to upgrade to Mojave on the Mac that runs your WeatherCat installation?

As a general rule, upgrading operating systems is easier on newer hardware and on systems with fewer and newer applications.  Potential problems increase for older Macs and for Macs with many applications - especially older ones.  So that's one way to look over the problem.

In the past, Stu has recommended against installing a new version of macOS until at least the first round of bug fixes.  Stu is extremely busy these days so should WeatherCat have issues with Mojave, he might not be able to fix it as fast as in the past.

In the end it is your decision and your decision alone.  However, when it comes to upgrading your Mac that runs WeatherCat basically you need to decide if reliability is more important than being up-to-date.  Many of us take great pride in uploading data to various sources and keeping our websites on line.  You need to decide how much you want to risk that by upgrading to Mojave.

As is true for any operating system upgrade make sure you have confirmed that your system is healthy.  Make sure your backups are valid, and at the very least, run Disk First Aid on all your disk drives before upgrading.

Every time Apple updates macOS we have a few people come to the forum with various sad stories about how their WeatherCat installation no longer works.    :(

;) . . . This time beware!  You have been forewarned! . . .

Cheers, Edouard    [cheers1]

P.S. Believe it or not, I just went through the operating system grind and finally am running High Sierra.  My thinking was that this was the last easy opportunity to do this and I didn't want to fall more than one version behind the current version of macOS.  So far my system is mostly weathering the change except that my WC AppleScript Tags Processor is reporting a very mysterious missing file error.  Adding to the mystery is that file is exactly where is it supposed to be.  These are the sorts of surprises to expect on any OS upgrade.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Mojave?? Remember!! You are askin' for it!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 01:11:11 AM »
I?m always surprised at people who think it?s kewl to be the first ont the block to install ?updates?! [rolleyes2] Seems like the digital equivalence of Russian Roulette! I?m so paranoid, I still compress most of my important apps before updating them! Unzipping is still faster than Time Machine! [tup] cmu:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 05:11:32 AM »
I plan to install it on my wife's iMac first and see what blows up. She will love me for it.
Blick

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
  • It is far better to wear out than to rust away.
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
  • Station Details: Weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2. Software: WeatherCat. Computer: Mac Mini, High Sierra OS
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 02:33:37 PM »
A word of warning that upgrading applications can also bring problems.

Yesterday I updated Safari to the latest version and now I cannot view my HikVision cameras on my Mac. The new version of Safari is not compatible with the HikVision plug-in.

Beware.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 03:31:20 PM »
Mojave (through Safari) will no support extensions that are not Apple-verified. Apple says this is a security measure. Unverified third-party extensions can be dangerous by way of hosting malware or even data extraction tools ? which could give malicious entities access to your passwords and other sensitive information. Therefore, when you update to the latest version of Safari, which is the one that you will need to run in Mojave, you will lose the use of any of your installed extensions that did not come from the Extension Gallery or that were not previously verified by Apple. For example, I was using an extension that blocked auto-playing videos on websites, but it no longer works in the new version of Safari (12.0). Eventually, at some as of yet unspecified future date, Apple likely ditch their whole Extension Gallery and allow only app-related extensions that come from the App Store. Whilst I am not happy about the loss of legitimate extensions, I appreciate Apple taking my data security and privacy seriously.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 05:27:25 PM »
I plan to install it on my wife's iMac first
I know that you are NOT a fool, so you must be a very brave man!! cmu:-)

In another 'support' forum, a couple of members have reported that Safari 12 disables extensions without any notification. Since that is one of my most used apps, I'm waiting for further news and a possible update. OTOH, this may simply be Apple's way of tightening security on apps that face the interweb. There should be better communications about what updates will do, however.

You will also see a "request" to you to read the new Media Services Terms & Conditions should you want to update the newer versions of Pages, Numbers and Keynote. It is particularly interesting to note that the only paragraph displayed in ALL CAPS is the one on warranty. It basically absolves Apple of any and all responsibility from any lack of suitability or even damage caused by their software. It is sold "AS IS", 'YOU AT YOUR OWN RISK', period. That's not really different than any other software company, but it is a good reminder that software is a different kind of "product" than just about anything else we "purchase". And we tend to forget that we don't actually "purchase" most software, anyway?we simply license it. :)

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 07:54:47 PM »
Know Thy Self.. and I know myself.   I will wait until it shows up in the app store to upgrade.   Since I use Weathercat for data and do not use it to directly go to a website,  I am going to gamble  and say that if it is a 64 bit app it will work.   I will be back eventually giving you my sob story.

I know it is best to wait until the dust settles and 5 million people have written in to Apple saying this and that doesn't work.    Speaking of that I updated my 8Plus to IOS 12 and dont notice much difference.  I think I am not going out and buy the latest phone and watch  because we all know that in April, they will be revised or terminated.

I guess the best answer is,  to wait until idiots like me   have Mojave and report it works or  is a dismal disaster.  then wait two weeks more. [lol2]
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 08:09:14 PM »
wait until idiots like me have Mojave and report it works or is a dismal disaster.
But... BUT!!! What if it's so bad that they can't get on the interweb to report???!!!! We should all exchange phone numbers!!! Preferably land line numbers!!! :o 8) [goofy]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 08:24:24 PM »
I think you are right about the 64-bit apps. Mojave is the last operating system from Apple that will allow 32-bit apps to run, but they will launch with a warning that they will slow down your system, or generate nuclear fallout, or increase the inflation rate, or cause small children to be repelled by your computer, etc.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 08:40:33 PM »
 [lol]
cause small children to be repelled by your computer
Are you saying that is a problem?! Sounds better than a strong password to keep those tiny fingers away from the keyboard!!!

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 02:33:57 PM »
I don't think Stu's suggestion has anything to do with WC. It's a widely held opinion by many developers and users. The problem is usually not with an app, it is with the difficulty of testing an massive collection of code called an Operating System with the almost infinite possible combinations of hardware and software on users system. There are reasons why even Apple states that users of their software do so "at their own risk" and that the software is licensed "AS IS" (the all CAPS is the way the text is displayed in their Terms of Service, btw, not just the way I typed it). Believe it or not, all of Apple's operating systems still have 'bugs' in them. Secondly, many developers have to create work arounds in their apps to overcome some of those bugs. [computer] Fortunately, good developers like Stu are very good at that task and we sometimes don't even know they've protected us from Apple's bugs. I think we should also remember that WC is not actually how Stu "keeps food on the table." [lol]

I'm sure WC has been tested on most, if not all, the Mojave ?etas. I have no concerns about running WC on Mojave. But I will not be installing the new OS for at least a few weeks. I might not be using High Sierra now if the hardware had not died last Spring! [rolleyes2] I have not even put Sierra on my wife's MBP! [blush]

"Maybe I'm paranoid, but that doesn't mean someone is not out to get me!" "I may be wrong, but I don't think so. It's a jungle out there!" cmu:-)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 05:11:25 PM »
In other news, Apple has seeded developers with the first build of iOS12.1. Can you remember when 12.0 was released? [rolleyes2] As Mr. Lincoln once said:"Every program has at least one bug.

Every program can be reduced in size by at least one line.

Therefore, every program can be reduced to a single line - which is a bug."

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
A sage Murphyism (Re: Mojave?? Remember!! You are askin' for it!)
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 09:44:27 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat collectors of programming wisdom,

In other news, Apple has seeded developers with the first build of iOS12.1. Can you remember when 12.0 was released? [rolleyes2]

As can be found on one of the volumes collecting that various Murphy's laws and their kinfolk: 

;) . . . If debugging is the way you remove bugs from a program, then programming must be the way to add new bugs to a program!   cmu:-)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 03:48:57 PM »
I've always been brave to upgrade when a new system approaches, but this time... my Mac mini Mid 2011 is simply not capable the desert of Mojave.
Reinhard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 04:06:05 PM »
my Mac mini Mid 2011 is simply not capable the desert of Mojave.
You should get a "new" one, they were built in 2014! [rolleyes2] [computer] My 2011 model died early this year and that's the only reason I upgraded to macOS 10.13 High Sierra on it... Apple did that for me... :P