Author Topic: Hello from Thurrock Weather!  (Read 8008 times)

PhilC

• Calm
  • Station Details: Oregon WMR 88 with UV on Mac running on Mojave
Hello from Thurrock Weather!
« on: June 16, 2019, 11:56:40 AM »
Hi all! Thanks for having me here! I?ve been running a weather station for my local community since 2011 and until recently I was using a windows pc to do that until it gave up the ghost.  I?m now using an iMac along with WeatherCat.  I use an Oregon WMR88
A quick question,  I use Twitter to broadcast to my followers and I was originally using Cumulous but cannot get the Mac version, hence why I?m using WeatherCat. Is there a way to include a forecast to my tweet? I?ve seen some of the coding but it?s new to me so unsure of what to do.
Thanks in advance!
Phil

Dave13

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7890
    • KTNPARSO2
    • ParsonsWeather.com
  • Station Details: Davis VP2
Re: Hello from Thurrock Weather!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 10:59:41 PM »
Hi Phil!

Welcome to the forum and WeatherCat, you'll find it is very stable and easy to use software for your weather station.

The only forecast function WeatherCat currently has is the ability to email or tweet forecast data that is generated by supported weather station hardware. It does not download it from an outside source, such as the National Weather Service.

The WeatherCat manual is available here: http://data.trixology.com/downloads/WeatherCatUserManual.pdf
Page 125 describes the email forecasts capability, unfortunately it doesn't show your station is compatible.

Hope this helps.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome! (Re: Hello from Thurrock Weather!)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 11:57:58 PM »
Dear Phil, Dave, and WeatherCat welcome wagon, . . . . .

Hi all! Thanks for having me here!

By all means let me welcome you Phil to the WeatherCat forum!

I?ve been running a weather station for my local community since 2011 and until recently I was using a windows pc to do that until it gave up the ghost.  I?m now using an iMac along with WeatherCat.  I use an Oregon WMR88
A quick question,  I use Twitter to broadcast to my followers and I was originally using Cumulous but cannot get the Mac version, hence why I?m using WeatherCat. Is there a way to include a forecast to my tweet? I?ve seen some of the coding but it?s new to me so unsure of what to do.

Dave has given you some of the information that you need.  As Dave asks, does WeatherCat appear to be downloading the WMR88 forecasts?  If it does there is potentially one other way to get access to this information which is the AppleScripts I wrote some years ago:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1039.0

Unfortunately, I have been unable thus far to make them work with the security upgrades in macOS Mojave.  So at the moment that isn't an option.

If you can get access to another forecast (such as the National Weather Service) you might be able to automate a process that would send that on your twitter account.  That might be easier to do.

Once more welcome and do let us know if we can be of more help.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

PhilC

• Calm
  • Station Details: Oregon WMR 88 with UV on Mac running on Mojave
Re: Hello from Thurrock Weather!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 08:04:32 AM »
Many thanks for the warm welcome and the assistance! The weather software is picking up the forecast off the station.  I?ll take a look into the NWS and see if I can use that.
Thanks again
Phil