Author Topic: Different Pressure reading on WC  (Read 1478 times)

Terryap

• Gentle Breeze
    • IPENYRHE3
  • Station Details: Aercus WS3083
Different Pressure reading on WC
« on: March 06, 2017, 01:42:58 PM »
I have set my Weather Station to Relative Pressure using the MetOffice local data but I notice that WeatherCat reports a different pressure - about 1.8 hpa lower at the moment, but it seems to vary. 

All other reports match.  I am sure that someone will be able to give me an answer why this should be.

Best wishes

Terry

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Different Pressure reading on WC
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 03:10:07 PM »
WeatherCat reports a different pressure
Relative to what? A "local" station can often have a different pressure reading from your site. Distance, terrain, altitude, hardware quality are just four variables. What I'm really asking is: What does the actual weather sensing hardware indicate. Does the Aercus hardware provide any independent display? WC only reports (within digital limits) what it is told by that hardware.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Different Pressure reading on WC
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 05:58:36 PM »
Terry, according to your Aercus WS 3083 manual, make sure you have selected Relative Pressure before your enter the pressure that matches the local benchmark. If you are sure you are doing that correctly, then your easiest option to calibrate it is to repeat the process but this time add 1.8 hpa (or whatever number you want to use to try to make up the difference) to the local benchmark. You will need to play with it for a few days to see how closely it will track the MetOffice benchmark. It is normal to have some variance so don't worry about it once you get close. Unless your altitude is exactly the same as the benchmark, your pressure should be different anyway. Generally speaking, the higher your altitude is, the lower the pressure will be from the benchmark. Obviously if your altitude is lower than the benchmark, your relative pressure should be higher than the benchmark. 

There is one other option, that I personally don't recommend; it works, but it's not as clean as what I just described. In WeatherCat preferences | Misc2 there is an option to Set Calibration Data. You can go there and enter an offset for Pressure. The offset can be a positive or negative number. What this does is add the offset to whatever reading your weather station hardware is producing. I don't like this method because it requires a calculation to change the reading on your weather station. I think it's simpler to just change the reading on the station to approximate the local benchmark.

I suppose this actually means that I am suggesting you do your calibration on your weather station itself, but go check the preferences setting just to make sure you haven't accidentally entered an offset there that is modifying the station output. Your offset should be 0.000 in the settings.

One final note, do not keep the Set Calibration Data window open longer than you have to. Whilst it is open, weather sampling and weather related processes are halted until the window is closed.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Elevation correction? (Re: Different Pressure reading on WC)
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 10:37:38 PM »
Dear Terry, X-Air, Blick, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I have set my Weather Station to Relative Pressure using the MetOffice local data but I notice that WeatherCat reports a different pressure - about 1.8 hpa lower at the moment, but it seems to vary. 

Blick has given you some good advice.  The only other thing I can think of is perhaps WeatherCat is making a correction based on your elevation that your station isn't capable of.  There aren't many stations that factor in the effect of your elevation, but WeatherCat can make the computation.  This is explained on page 78 of the current WeatherCat manual.  How much above sea level is your location?  That might have something to do with it.

Cheers, Edouard