Author Topic: WMR300?  (Read 26517 times)

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
WMR300?
« on: November 18, 2015, 08:25:11 PM »

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
How hard is it to support? (Re: WMR300?)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 12:55:00 AM »
Howdy Stu and WeatherCat "wanting a station in our stockings for Christmas" types, . . .

Market research time :)

Any interest in support for the WMR300 in WeatherCat?

I've looked into this and it sure looks like a Davis clone if there ever was one.  As such it has all the promise and obstacles - mainly cost.

How hard does it look to support the WMR300 in WeatherCat?  If it isn't too difficult a job, it might be a plum for WeatherCat.  I'm not sure how long it will take for something to upgrade to this station or a newcomer to arrive with one - still, it has to be only a matter of time.

Cheers, Edouard

ParadisBlanc

Re: WMR300?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 09:02:55 AM »
 :o  I was considering buying this new one (300) but because WC only supported the (200) I choose to buy the older model.

NB: as I was saying (by email) to "WC-support" early last month (before I selected my station), the list of the supported station is getting quite old (exception made of the Davis devices):
  • WS23xx yes, WS28xx no
  • WMR200 yes, WMR300 no
  • WMR88 yes, WMR89 no
Do the com-protocols/memory-spaces really change so much from one device to its upgraded version?
Or is it just a question of having access to a station and beta-testing?

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 11:33:14 PM »
Am content with my VP 2. Wish Davis would upgrade the components, i.e. offer a new and improved model. Meanwhile, my older unit is doing very well - soon to have been online 8 years.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
What's the word on da' grapevine? (Re: WMR300?)
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 12:22:58 AM »
Dear Erik, Michael, and WeatherCat fans,

I was wondering if the WMR300 uses a similar sort of interface as the other Oregon Scientific line.  If so, it might not be too painful for Stu to add this station to the ones supported by WeatherCat.

Could somebody who is a regular visitor on some general interest weather forums like WXForum take a look at what weather enthusiasts think about this station?

I just went though the reviews on Amazon and the greatest complaint appears to be the lack of quality software and customer support.  So far not a lot of complaints about the hardware itself.  The big question is whether or not the station holds up like its rival Davis instruments.  So far, it doesn't have the flexibility of a Davis Vantage Pro-2, but for most people the WMR300 is more than flexible enough in its installation options.  Since it is a newer design, it should have some advantages of Davis.

Can anyone get "da' dirt" from those hardcore weatherphiles to be found on the Internet?

Cheers, Edouard

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 10:14:12 PM »
Whether a station is doable or not generally depends on 3 things:

1. It doesn't use a custom hardware interface - so generally either USB or serial.
2. Its protocol is either defined by the manufacturer or hackable (all USB devices tend to fall into the 'hackable' class).
3. There's demand for it.

I've had a few enquiries about the WMR300 but not enough to justify the development at the moment, hence the post here to see if there's any more interest :)

SRS

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0056
    • KWASPOKA56
  • Station Details: OS WMR968 / WeatherCat
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 04:32:33 PM »
Im Interested in the WMR300  ThU5:-)

bts

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac Mini
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 02:13:18 PM »
I have been using WC for some years now, with the Davis Vantage Pro2.
The VP2 finally gave up after 10 years [tup] and is now replaced by a WMR300.
WC-support for the WMR300 would be appreciated.