Author Topic: Meteotemplate  (Read 137662 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Meteotemplate
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2016, 03:11:58 PM »
Looks like you've eliminated the error reports. 49 requested items, 49 uploaded conversions. even when my hardware doesn't have any of the extra sensors. Good work! [tup]

BTW, the file is in the "mail". Sorry for the delay, I got distracted. [banghead]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2016, 03:30:18 PM »
Quote from: idunn
Do I need to upload Meteotemplate
No sir. But you will have to have FTP access to your web space. You'll have to contact your hosting provider, if you don't have that info. That info usually comes in the email they sent you when you signed up with them. Although unusual, you may not have an account that includes FTP access.

Report back if you have FTP access and I think we can get you set up to help Jachym, if he needs more testing.

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
  • Station Details: WH1080
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2016, 03:43:08 PM »
I cannot imagine how you can have a website without FTP access and you will need FTP access to install not just the template, but any block, plugin etc. Without FTP access to the server it is not possible to use the template (or any other template).

Ad the file: good news :-) But can you please then post here or email me the resulting txt file where the tags have been replaced? I need to see what it looks like exactly to make sure I know what Im working with.

Sorry, I know this is PIA, but I really have no way of testing this other than asking you, the users, I had to do the same with Cumulus and WD. Cumulus MX only supports 64bit computers so I cannot run it even via Wine and Weather Display is too demanding for my old laptop. But hopefully I will make this work for WC just as I did for the others.

I myself use Meteobridge, I cannot have my pc on 24/7

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2016, 04:10:37 PM »
No problem for me. I'm letting WC do all the work! [cheer]

It sounds to me that you are attempting to build a template that brings much of Weather Cat's power to some Windows apps! Good luck! The data is only part of its power, the user-friendliness and stability is the really hard part.

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2016, 04:14:19 PM »
Hi,
Im still not sure people understand how this works. This is not a computer program! This template will run FULLY IN A BROWSER, it is a WEB APPLICATION, nothing that you will "install" on your PC. Think of it as just a set of scripts that you upload to your server and that show the data in a browser.

As I mentioned previously, I have a very old laptop, which can only run Lubuntu Linux, a lightweight linux version. I tried XP, but it was so slow I had to remove it, 1GB of RAM is not enough. But the point is - this template is a web application and it is absolutely irrelevant which OS you use, what software you use etc. It runs in all major browsers (tested in Chrome, FF, Opera and Safari, IE should work, but is sometimes problematic).

I do not use Windows myself and it is not a Windows app.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2016, 04:29:23 PM »
Hello,

this is what WeatherCat processes with your template.txt and what WeatherCat ftp's to my webspace. Once on my webspace, your PlugIn weatherCat.php should be able to use if the path has been set correct.
Reinhard

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2016, 04:34:03 PM »
Hi, thanks, yes, that is exactly what I needed.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2016, 04:41:45 PM »
it is a WEB APPLICATION
As far as I know (which is not saying much!), all the "templates", at least in this Forum, all "run on a computer". It's just not the user's computer. The users literally see the output of the dozens, even hundreds of php/javascript/html/etc. files/apps of the "template" in a browser.

However, the unfortunately (in my opinion) named "template.txt" file must be installed on a computer, preferably one running WeatherCat. WeatherCat is a program, of course, but it can take that text file (actually, almost any file) which contains the WC "tags" the "template" collection needs, and upload a file with the actual values that the host computer running the "template" applications can use.

I'm not sure that we "need to understand" how any of your scripts/plugins/containers/files/templates/etc. work of where they are actually running! Nor are there any here who care what hardware or OS you are using. I wish you had more up-to-date stuff, even a second or third machine with tins of memory and storage space, but with the talent you have demonstrated, I think that will come! [tup]

Hope you've received my output file by now. I didn't want to waste forum space for such temporary files.

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2016, 04:46:13 PM »
Hi,
the name "template.txt" was just temporary, it is not how it will be named in the plugin, I just randomly named it like that while I was testing it.

Yes, technically you are right of course, the template is "installed" on a computer - on the computer which runs the server. However, most people will not have their own server and rather use some external webhosting provider such as GoDaddy or 1and1 and so the template files (scripts) are then saved on the computer in the hosting provider data center and yes you are technically correct, it is saved/installed on a computer, but the user does not see it that way, and it would be confusing to say it is "installed on a computer".

So lets just say that in order to use Meteotemplate, you upload the template files to your server - be it some server at GoDaddy, or any other provider, or your own PC if you are running your own server.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2016, 04:55:46 PM »
The text template (however you will call it in the final version) has to be installed on the very same computer that is running WeatherCat - otherwise it wouldn't be processed and filled with actual data. And it wouldn't be uploaded to the WWW. By the way, mine is set to upload every 30 seconds, so every 30 seconds Meteotemplate maybe feeded with weather data that is *up to date*.

Just my 2 cents.
Reinhard

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2016, 05:00:29 PM »
Yes, I think the only confusion was that I called the file "template". "The file" that will correspond to the text file with the tags will be saved on the user?s PC. The CRON job that will read that file is most commonly and recommended to be set to one minute. So every minute it will read the data and save it to temporary cache. The MySQL is then updated every 5 minutes using the data from the 5minute temporary cache, i.e. in the db you will have one dataset for every 5 minutes.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2016, 05:04:08 PM »
Perhaps I miss-spoke if I said or implied "it is 'installed on a computer'." The absolutely only 'thing' that must be "installed" on the user's computer is the text file you supply, the one we have been testing. Again, as far as I know, that's the same way all "templates" work.

BTW, thanks for seeing the confusion with naming the file "template" as it is nothing but a plain text file, certainly not a "template" as the term is used in this forum nor an application. Please also remember that there are users here with a very wide range of computer "experience" and "understanding". Some know not much more than where the power switch is, others build their own hardware from scratch, still others actually write code for a living. ;)

wurzelmac has re-enfoced my concern that you include the frequency that the user has set up for WC to process their data. Your scripts or your SQL database needs to know how often to check for new data. Or you could have a different, longer time-frame and save some space on the user's allowance for database sizes.EDIT: You were answering my concerns before I could even post them! A bit scary! :o That's another function of the type of hosting package each of us might have. Most of us have not been concerned about that as WC does all that storage on our own computers. Your method is basically duplicating much of that database work, but your user's will need to be aware that their package must include some SQL database space.

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2016, 05:08:18 PM »
Hi,
please do not take this wrong, but I think it would be the best if you read the wiki to understand how this works. There is detailed info about how exactly the scripts work, how often is the database updated, how this is setup etc etc.
The database will not be updated at the interval at which you upload the text file with the conditions.
In summary there are two intervals for the template:
1. the CRON job - this periodically executes the script in the template, which is responsible for the db update. This script loads the text file with the conditions currently saved on the server. It checks the time. If the time since the last record in the db and the current time is less than 5 minutes it will save the content of the text file to cache. And that repeats until the interval of 5 minutes elapses, and when that happens, it updates the db and clears the cache.
So you just set the interval for the CRON job, but if that is 1 minute or 2 minutes or 3 minutes... is irrelevant, the db will always be updated every 5 minutes, just that you would have more data points in the cache, which are then averaged out.

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2016, 05:10:17 PM »
Perhaps I miss-spoke if I said or implied "it is 'installed on a computer'." The absolutely only 'thing' that must be "installed" on the user's computer is the text file you supply, the one we have been testing. Again, as far as I know, that's the same way all "templates" work.

BTW, thanks for seeing the confusion with naming the file "template" as it is nothing but a plain text file, certainly not a "template" as the term is used in this forum nor an application. Please also remember that there are users here with a very wide range of computer "experience" and "understanding". Some know not much more than where the power switch is, others build their own hardware from scratch, still others actually write code for a living. ;)

wurzelmac has re-enfoced my concern that you include the frequency that the user has set up for WC to process their data. Your scripts or your SQL database needs to know how often to check for new data. Or you could have a different, longer time-frame and save some space on the user's allowance for database sizes.EDIT: You were answering my concerns before I could even post them! A bit scary! :o That's another function of the type of hosting package each of us might have. Most of us have not been concerned about that as WC does all that storage on our own computers. Your method is basically duplicating much of that database work, but your user's will need to be aware that their package must include some SQL database space.

Yes and they will be aware if they read the wiki... first page - prerequisits.... i think that all the questions you are asking are answered in the wiki, there really is no point in me explaning it all here :) The best thing to do, in fact something you must do if you want to use Meteotemplate, is go through the wiki step by step. I have spent quite some time preparing it and it is even for the less experienced one, guiding you step by step about what you have to do and what you need.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2016, 05:15:28 PM »
We're always talking about a SQL database, aren't we? So, just to bring it in mind, WeatherCat has a built-in SQL driver that puts all thinkable data into my MySQL database. As said, just to bring this in mind - maybe in a future version of Meteotemplate someone is able to use this database instead of a new created alldata database.

Only a suggestion for future development, for I do not know if this would be possible at all.

:)
Reinhard