Author Topic: Anyone using 10.13 AND WC created Custom Gauges?  (Read 2793 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Anyone using 10.13 AND WC created Custom Gauges?
« on: March 14, 2018, 11:16:05 PM »
The Dev reported that problems with WC created Custom Gauges was due to a bug in the OS (10.12, I believe) Gauges on Website Not Working

Does anyone have this problem in 10.13?

Apparently, there are only two of us using the great work Stu built into the app! [blush] [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Stu might know (Re: Anyone using 10.13 AND WC created Custom Gauges?)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 11:44:30 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat "feature-o-holics,"

The Dev reported that problems with WC created Custom Gauges was due to a bug in the OS (10.12, I believe) Gauges on Website Not Working

Does anyone have this problem in 10.13?

Stu did raise a bug on the Apple bug-tracker for this item.  So perhaps Stu could check to see if Apple claims to have fixed it.  It didn't effect most Macs, so I assume there are some number of WeatherCat users who are using custom gauges on their website and don't know they are supposed to be broken.  Also, the custom gauges don't update in real-time.  Most "power users" are probably using some version of the steel gauges that do update rapidly.

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Anyone using 10.13 AND WC created Custom Gauges?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 12:34:01 AM »
Unless I don't understand the operation of WC (not a rare event, of course) I think mine are updating every two minutes, just like several other pages do. Mine are on a separate page, but it seems to have the same pressure value as the direct read out in a text output page. I'm not at the Mac mini right now but I'm pretty sure that page is in the directory that is set to update every two minutes. [tup]

Checked the mini and the Custom Gauges are updating at 2 minute intervals, exactly as requested in the main prefs. However, the page that displays them only updates itself in the browser at a 30 minute rate. Since the gauges are quite a bit harder to view at the unit level, I save some data transfer rate on the viewers end by updating only 48 times a day. The detail info, down to a hundredth of a degree/1 mph/etc. can be more easily viewed as text on the main page.

Ar any rate, I know there is one other WCer who would like to use the Custom Gauges in Sierra, at least. The mini is still using El Capitan for exactly that reason. The Steel Gauges are nice, but I have my gauges like I want them without having to enable javascript. And the WC interface is extremely nice! Thank you very much! ThU5:-)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
I understand . . (Re: Anyone using 10.13 AND WC created Custom Gauges?)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 10:36:31 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat "different stokes for different folks" types,

Unless I don't understand the operation of WC (not a rare event, of course) I think mine are updating every two minutes, just like several other pages do.

That is the best way to upload the Custom Gauges if you want them not to be too much out of date.  However, it is a lot of FTP data and some people have run into problems with that sort of through-put.  It depends on how fussy your web hosting provider is about the amount of data you are uploading.

Ar any rate, I know there is one other WCer who would like to use the Custom Gauges in Sierra, at least. The mini is still using El Capitan for exactly that reason. The Steel Gauges are nice, but I have my gauges like I want them without having to enable javascript. And the WC interface is extremely nice! Thank you very much! ThU5:-)

Yes, you are absolutely correct.  It would be helpful if another WeatherCatter could confirm that custom gauges are working on macOS 10.13.  Alas, since not all Macs demonstrate the problem, that wouldn't be a 100% guarantee.  The only way to be sure the problem has been solved is if Apple could confirm they have fixed the OS bug.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 04:44:57 PM »
I guess I will soon discover if WC3 and Apple can work with each other using Custom Gauges. My mini has 'lost' contact with the visual world. Replacing the soldered on graphics chip might cause more problems that the price difference for a new box! Of course, the new mini will have macOS 10.13.x High Sierra installed... Hopefully, my iMac will last long enough for the make the switch. [rolleyes2]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 08:34:49 PM »
New kit is always exciting. Let us know how this turns out.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Best of luck X-Air! (Re: Anyone using 10.13 . . . . )
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 10:52:24 PM »
X-Air, Blick, and WeatherCat sys-admins,

I guess I will soon discover if WC3 and Apple can work with each other using Custom Gauges. My mini has 'lost' contact with the visual world. Replacing the soldered on graphics chip might cause more problems that the price difference for a new box! Of course, the new mini will have macOS 10.13.x High Sierra installed... Hopefully, my iMac will last long enough for the make the switch. [rolleyes2]

I'm glad you are getting a new and shiny Mac Mini!  :)  Alas, you'll have to brave the perils of macOS 10.13.x  Apple has promised to return to their quality standards of the past, but until that happens we have to cope as best we can.

Best of luck making the migration!  [tup]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 10:57:11 PM »
Blick, Edouard and those who like to what others struggles!

So far it's really exciting! It's a basic new install of WC. I'm hoping I had the one I didn't really use on the iMac has the correct settings for what's needed on the mini. I might be able to drag things off the CCC drive and see if WC3 can find them, but it may be better and certainly faster to just let WC create things.

I think I have all the html/php files and folder paths matched up. OTOH, those are easy to get into the WC prefs, anyway. I just dragged and dropped the current files off the web via Fetch, so I know they are up-to-date.

Only snag, so far, is that the TM drive isn't showing up. I may have to buy some cables... and it may need replacing, anyway!  [rolleyes2]