Author Topic: Serial to USB adapter and driver For Davis Vantage Pro 2  (Read 5539 times)

rexross

• Gentle Breeze
    • Galveston BeachFront Weather Station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 with UV and IR sensors. Station is mounted on beachfront in Galveston Texa.
Serial to USB adapter and driver For Davis Vantage Pro 2
« on: January 18, 2017, 07:24:48 PM »
I have a MacBook Pro running Sierra (OS X 10.12.2) and a Davis Vantage Pro 2 with a data logger.

My old Keyspan USA-28GX serial to USB adapter used to interface from the Davis to the Mac no longer works.

I am looking for a suggestion to either:

1.  Provide an updated driver for the Keyspan

or preferably

2.  Suggest a modern serial to USB adapter plus driver.

Surely others must have faced this and I would appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks.

Rex Ross

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
One on Amazon. (Re: Serial to USB adapter and driver)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 10:34:51 PM »
Dear Rex and WeatherCat trying to keep up with new technology types,

I am looking for . . . . .

2.  Suggest a modern serial to USB adapter plus driver.

Most of us have stations with built-in USB so this need is getting a bit rare.  However a little searching on Amazon brought up this model:

https://www.amazon.com/CNCT-Serial-RS232-Adapter-Light/dp/B01N5J84PO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484778576&sr=8-2&keywords=serial+to+usb+mac+sierra

According to the description there are drivers for the latest version of OS X macOS available on the manufacturer's website.  At under $10, it doesn't look like too risky a purchase.

Let us know what you discover so we can help the next person with this problem!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

rexross

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 with UV and IR sensors. Station is mounted on beachfront in Galveston Texa.
Re: Serial to USB adapter and driver For Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 03:41:07 PM »
I'm very surprised to hear that most people have built in USB with their weather stations.  I have a couple of Davis Vantage Pro 2 systems which are a couple of years old.  They do not. The Davis data logger is a peculiar device and needs a serial to USB converter.

Perhaps Davis has upgraded that recently.  While I don't think so, I'll check.

The serial interface you recommended does, unfortunately, not have the proper ports.

Anyway, I continue to use my old Keyspan USA-28XG and I have found a Sierra compatible driver for it.  That is:

USA-19HSdrvr_10.9_10.10_10.11_v4

While it shows OS X 10.11 as the latest, it works fine with 10.12

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 06:41:34 PM »
Bought mine back in March of 2015. It has a USB port, but I think the cable is just to get the data into the computer via its USB port, since Mac's never had serial ports. There is still a need for a USB driver that makes the data available to whatever software you might be using. I am operating from memory since I can't find the specifics at Davis' site although I think I found it on their old one. [computer] [banghead] It may be part #8434. [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 03:53:04 PM »
I'm very surprised to hear that most people have built in USB with their weather stations.  I have a couple of Davis Vantage Pro 2 systems which are a couple of years old.  They do not. The Davis data logger is a peculiar device and needs a serial to USB converter.

Perhaps Davis has upgraded that recently.  While I don't think so, I'll check.

Davie sells data loggers with either USB (#6520) or Ethernet (#6555) connections.
Blick

rexross

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 04:08:36 PM »
Thanks.  Good to know Davis may be upping their game a bit.

If I lose serial connection  in the future will look into the new data ports from Davis.

Fortunately, all is running well now on both my stations.