Author Topic: Moving to a new Mac  (Read 2322 times)

WeatherguyNH

• Strong Breeze
    • RichLefko.com
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2. IN Peterborough NH
Moving to a new Mac
« on: August 15, 2019, 11:58:47 AM »
Hi Weathercat fans:

I am hoping someone else has faced this......

I need to retire my 10 year old Mac Pro....just bought a new iMac, still in the box. Running Mojave.
I DO NOT want to use migration assistant to bring all of my applications over, since there is a lot of crap in the old Mac accumulated over 10 years of use.
I'd like to start fresh.
I realize that I can just download and install Weathercat on the new Mac, but how do I bring over all of the data the application has collected over the past?
Is all of that in a single folder somewhere?
Also, I remember there was a driver I needed to install to get the Mac to read data from my Davis Weather Logger. Is that still required?

I appreciate any help and advice...

Thanks

Rich

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Moving to a new Mac
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 03:17:53 PM »
This should help: wiki.trixology.com title=Moving_a_WeatherCat_installation_from_one_computer_to_another
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

WeatherguyNH

• Strong Breeze
    • RichLefko.com
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 02:26:28 AM »
My gosh!

That is perfect...

Thank you!!!

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 03:42:06 PM »
WeatherguyNH:

Let us know how your experience went following the Wiki article. Does anything there need to be clarified or changed? It was perfect the last time I had to use it but something may have changed.

Congrats on your new kit. Nothing like the thrill of a new iMac after all those years.
Blick

WeatherguyNH

• Strong Breeze
    • RichLefko.com
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 02:37:01 AM »
Will do.
It sits in a box on the floor of my office.
I will be cracking the seal this weekend with a SLOW beginning, since I won't be using migration assistant. I don't want to bring 10 years of crap over....starting fresh...we'll see how that goes.

Thank you again for the help.

Rich

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 03:44:47 PM »
Just a short note to say the Wiki page was of great help when moving my setup (temporarily) to another computer.

I did however copy two additional folders that were not mentioned on the Wiki, i.e.;

~/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatUpdate
~/Documents/WeatherCatNOAAReports

Jos

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 01:09:21 AM »
Thanks for letting us know about the missing folders. They are are now included in the wiki.

Are you impacted by the flooding in the Netherlands?
Blick

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 02:58:54 AM »
You could do one final backup, then transfer over the data file and restore from the backup you just did.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 11:14:32 AM »
Thanks for letting us know about the missing folders. They are are now included in the wiki.

Are you impacted by the flooding in the Netherlands?

Thanks Blick, for updating the Wiki.

No, I wasn't impacted by the flooding; 'only' 44mm of rain in 24hrs, versus >200mm (close to 8 inch) in the hills about 100km south of where I live. In Germany more than a 100 people lost their lives.  :'(