Author Topic: Is anyone using a Mesh Network?  (Read 7177 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
What you really need is! . . . (Re: Is anyone using a Mesh Network? )
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 11:10:17 PM »
Dear Steve and WeatherCat network admins,

Thanks for the update.  Indeed this has become quite an undertaking!

26 Connected Devices

[wink] . . . . I see your problem right there!  What you need is still MORE devices!! . . . .  [biggrin]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Is anyone using a Mesh Network?
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 03:24:27 PM »
Steve:

Thanks for sharing the details in your update. I have been offline for 14 days and am just getting around to reading what I missed. Except for no wireless network when there Internet connection is lost, it sounds to me like you have done really well. Having the ethernet cabled to the EERO units will be a huge improvement over the old Apple WiFi. One of our sons is installing Orbi at his home today. Keep us in the loop as you make new discoveries.
Blick

WeatherguyNH

• Strong Breeze
    • RichLefko.com
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2. IN Peterborough NH
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2019, 02:44:53 AM »
Here's a very Mac-like brand (except the hardware looks like something out of a si-fi movie).

Synology RT2600ac  (extremely capable router all by itself)
Synology MR2200ac (add-on mesh router) for increased coverage

Available at the superb B&H with free shipping and no tax (www.bhphotovideo.com)

https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/28/synology-rt2600ac-router-airport-extreme-replacement-top-15-features-video/

https://9to5mac.com/2018/10/12/synology-mr2200ac-mesh-router-launch/

Edit: A reader just pointed out I had a typo on the nomenclature of the add-on mesh router.

I have another post running as I move to a brand new iMac.
Like you, I think it is also time to move away from my APE from Apple.
I think the Synology router you mention is the way I will go.

Perhaps it is just me, but I won't use anything associated with google. I don't trust their devices and their biz model is all about collecting data.
They bought Eero so I won't be using that.

I also want a router with a USB  port, and the router mentioned has that.

Just my 2 cents...

Rich

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2019, 03:50:01 PM »

Perhaps it is just me, but I won't use anything associated with google. I don't trust their devices and their biz model is all about collecting data.

Yep, I'm in the same camp.

Are you going with the RT2600ac plus the MR2200ac mesh option or just multiples of the MR2200ac?

Start a thread on your Synology equipment and keep the members apprised of your progress. Personally, I think it's a great replacement for Apple's gear when the time comes. Plus, the Synology Router Manager software is some of the best in the industry, usable by a network neophyte in the basic mode or suitable for advanced tweaking...network management, parental controls, security and a ton of other stuff. But layering up a bunch of filtering reduces throughput speed.

Lastly, if you haven't run across it yet, spend some time on the Synology forum (https://forum.synology.com/enu/). Don't let the "problems" worry you, majority are from folks who know very little about networking and think it would be neat to try out all the advanced features available in the router software without really understanding what they are doing. As you'll note, most are resolved satisfactorily.

Felix

• Gale
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2019, 04:07:41 PM »
Oh, and I forgot to mention, as a result of the 2018 SCOTUS decision (South Dakota v. Wayfair) on out-of-state sales taxes, B&H is now phasing in sales taxes for out-of-state (NY) purchases. So you may no longer get that bit of help in NH.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2019, 08:48:16 PM »
B&H offers a way to purchase from their website (or store) and get your state sales tax instantly refunded. Basically it is a credit card that can only be used to purchase from B&H, using the same bank that Amazon uses for their store card (Synchrony). B&H charges you the sales tax and then they instantly credit it back on that card so at the end of the monthly cycle, you are only paying for your purchases net of sales tax. They remit sales tax to your state, as required by law, so the customers are the real winners here.

If you are a B&H customer and your state requires them to charge sales tax (not all states require this yet), this will benefit you.

Similarly, and off topic, Amazon also has a store card that can only be used on Amazon and refunds to you 5% of what you buy from them using their card. It's called Amazon Prime Store Card (and is not the same thing as Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature, which they also offer). If you buy regularly from Amazon (and who doesn't?), you should be using their Prime Store Card.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/credit-cards

https://www.amazon.com/Synchrony-Bank-Amazon-com-Store-Card/dp/B008A0GNA8/ref=lp_3561432011_1_2?s=financial&ie=UTF8&qid=1566589392&sr=1-2
Blick

WeatherguyNH

• Strong Breeze
    • RichLefko.com
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2. IN Peterborough NH
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2019, 07:53:21 PM »
 [thermo]

Right now I am trying to Migrate to a new iMac....Once that horror is completed I will go back to the synology purchase.
Not sure, mesh or not.....not sure I need it...but will work that later.

As for tax free NH....ANYONE who tries to charge me sales tax loses my sale.

Rich

Felix

• Gale
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2019, 11:06:41 PM »
AppleInsider on Synology:

?Right now, the Synology MR2200AC is our favorite for a mesh router system.?

https://apple.news/AWXKBSQznSzq6MZqPR_4Rbw

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2019, 03:16:59 PM »

Just a clarification: Amazon bought Eero, not Google. One of several related articles: https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/12/18261081/amazon-buys-eero-official-keeps-privacy-policy

There was hope that Apple would buy Eero, as Apple Stores used to carry the Eero product along side Airports.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2019, 03:23:08 PM »
Steve:

Thanks for sharing the details in your update. I have been offline for 14 days and am just getting around to reading what I missed. Except for no wireless network when there Internet connection is lost, it sounds to me like you have done really well. Having the ethernet cabled to the EERO units will be a huge improvement over the old Apple WiFi. One of our sons is installing Orbi at his home today. Keep us in the loop as you make new discoveries.

Apparently, that was old information I was relaying. According to a recent answer to that very question on Reddit by one of the owners, Internet interruption does not effect the LAN unless the hub Eero is reboot. Rebooting causes it to phone home, and if it can't, it doesn't create a network. Any other Eero on the LAN can be rebooted; just not the one connected to the modem.

I am currently in the process of setting up and hardwiring two new Sharx non-wifi IP cameras (HTNC2404TM and HTNC2404M) from their latest sale. Gonna need another spool of cat 6 cable!!
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2019, 02:15:45 AM »
You can't have too much CAT5 hanging around. Sooner or later, you will need some.

My son gave up on the Orbi install and had AT&T (his fiber optic provider) come and install a wired network extender at no cost. Solved his problem without having to buy anything.

I just entered the 21st century at our place. We are now the proud payers of a bill for fiber optic. Yes, indeed fellow WeatherCatters, my local phone company ran fiber right up the mountain to our front door. Hallelujah! We can now stream and use our iPhones over Wifi.

"They have the Internet on computers now." Homer Simpson
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2019, 09:39:55 PM »
Too bad, I was curious for a first hand report on the Orbi.

We have TimeWarner Cable Spectrumfor our cable/internet/landline provider. Fastest available at my address is 100Mb/s, although speed tests sometimes show faster. They offer 300 Mb/s as a premium, but it is not available for me.

You can't have too much CAT5 hanging around. Sooner or later, you will need some.

My son gave up on the Orbi install and had AT&T (his fiber optic provider) come and install a wired network extender at no cost. Solved his problem without having to buy anything.

I just entered the 21st century at our place. We are now the proud payers of a bill for fiber optic. Yes, indeed fellow WeatherCatters, my local phone company ran fiber right up the mountain to our front door. Hallelujah! We can now stream and use our iPhones over Wifi.

"They have the Internet on computers now." Homer Simpson
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Yeah but, . . . . . (Re: Is anyone using a Mesh Network? )
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2019, 11:12:15 PM »
Dear Blick, Steve, and WeatherCat types  "boldly going where no WeatherCatter has gone before!" . . . . .  [biggrin]

I just entered the 21st century at our place. We are now the proud payers of a bill for fiber optic.
. . . . .

[wink] . . . . . Yeah, but can you pay the bill for your fiber optic line - online?  If so, does paying it on an ultra-fast network make the price any easier to swallow?!?? . . .  lol(1)

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2019, 11:42:52 PM »
Hi all,
I just saw this - late to the party!
I have been using an Eero system for over two months now and it is wonderful. I got a new Internet provider and we get 300 mbps download, which in our rural area is super compared to the 3 to 5 mbps with my former provider! As a result I wanted to up my old Apple network, but found some things conflicted with my providers new equipment - an Eero system. I bought one Eero range extender and viola - well over 100 mbps even at the far end of a ranch house! I get 290 mbps in my Gallery next to the room with the router.
I also have my Davis Weatherlink (I have a second console which goes direct to the Internet through the Weatherlink in addition to the main console wired to my computer) reaching the Internet through my old Apple Express which acts as an Internet access point.
I love the new system and the fact I haven't touched it in two months is testament to the stability.
Cheers,
Bill

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks for sharing (Re: Is anyone using a Mesh Network? )
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2019, 11:57:07 PM »
Dear Bill and WeatherCat net admins,

Hi all,
I just saw this - late to the party!
I have been using an Eero system for over two months now and it is wonderful.
. . . . .

Thanks for sharing your experiences with Eero.  Every bit of experience enriches our community.