Author Topic: Steel Gauges  (Read 222217 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Steel Gauges
« Reply #525 on: March 21, 2018, 09:32:03 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply and the suggestions. You are probably right about whether or not its useful. I have always wanted to try it just to see what it looks like. I will give it a go and report back.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #526 on: March 22, 2018, 04:30:58 PM »
Mark:

Can you please tell me how to try this background image on the Wind Rose Gauge? As you know, it is created differently, and has this code starting at line 2089.

Code: [Select]
                    // Optional - add a background image
                    /*
                    if (g_imgSmall !== null) {
                        var drawSize = g_size * 0.831775;
                        var x = (g_size - drawSize) / 2;
                        buffers.ctxBackground.drawImage(g_imgSmall, x, x, cache.gaugeSize, cache.gaugeSize);
                    }
                    */

I tried just uncommenting these lines, but that caused the gauge to disappear. Is there a way to edit these lines to allow the background image to display?

Thanks.
Blick

mcrossley

• Gale
  • Sorry, I'm not a WeatherCat user!
    • ICHESHIR25
    • Wilmslow Astro Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 + home brew
« Reply #527 on: March 22, 2018, 08:27:54 PM »
That bit of code looks like it is well past its sell by date!  It will take a little time and digging to get it functional again, which I don't have at the mo, maybe this w/end...
Mark

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #528 on: March 23, 2018, 03:45:53 PM »
Thank you so much! I just appreciate the help whenever you can get to it. Like Tesco, every little helps.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #529 on: April 15, 2018, 09:33:19 PM »
I've just looked at all the links to Steel Series Gauges in the Wiki (a couple of the links are 'dead', BTW) and am a little surprised at how similar they seem to be. :) I assume it is because they are using the default settings?

Other than that, I noticed that all the gauges are the same size. I hope that doesn't mean they have to be that way. ???
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #530 on: April 16, 2018, 06:30:54 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on the broken link. The user moved his gauges to a different address and the link is now updated. The other two are not broken, just down at the moment. As far as similarity, yes, it appears that most users opt for the default gauges. Nothing wrong with that; they look great. Those users who have customised the "look and feel" have even better looking gauges. As to gauge size, the links in the sample section show that all three sizes (small, standard, and large) are in use on the various sites. If, on the other hand, you meant that all the gauges on a single site are the same size, that is because the user elected to keep all of his or her gauges the same size. However, if you have bad design taste, it is possible to have different size gauges on the same site.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #531 on: April 16, 2018, 07:05:20 PM »
Thanks, Blick!

Not sure how having different size gauges on the same site defines "bad design taste". A less important gauge need not take up the same space as a more important one. The key word there is "important" which I will consider to be "in the eyes of the beholder". ;)

I'll see if I can find the sample page that shows all the sizes. Hopefully, I can find some with much smaller bezels.

Since we quit flying "steam gauge" aircraft decades ago, I may go to the more digital format anyway.

Found another Wiki site (http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/SteelSeries_Gauges) and it had some good info:
You can easily have different sized gauges on the same page, in the gauges-ss.css I have created two additional classes ".gaugeSizeSml" and ".gaugeSizeLrg", (again you can edit the width/height values of these classes to whatever you want), to assign one of these alternative sizes to a gauge, edit the HTML and change (for example)...
Great to have CSS involved, it really helps when media queries can be used.

BTW, there is a "demo" site mentioned in the WC Wiki that may be 'dead': http://www.wilmslowastro.com/steelseries/demoRadial.html I can't get even the base domain url (www.wilmslowastro.com/) to work (tried 4 browsers), much less the link in the Wiki.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #532 on: April 17, 2018, 12:19:54 AM »
Almost everything you find on the Sandysoft wiki for the gauges applies to WeatherCat as well. There is no sample of which I am aware that shows the three sizes on the same page, but the first two sample sites in the WeatherCat Wiki demonstrate small and standard. My website uses Large. You can look at those three sites and see the difference.

I define bad taste as anyone's taste that does not align with mine. Hahahaha.

Mark Crossley's entire site is down at the minute, which is why you can't see the demo site. He'll be back up, so just be patient.

One last thing, you are using Wim's template. He already has his own version of these gauges baked into the Leuven template so if you want to use them, you'll have to use his instructions and files for implementation. His files are not interchangeable with Mark's.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #533 on: April 17, 2018, 01:37:13 AM »
I'm only using his standalone Forecast pieces. And at the rate of progress that NOAA seems to not have, I may 'upgrade' to my own parsing of their text only output. [banghead] That worked very well for the METAR parts of my site. It's probably even less interesting to the average viewer than the day-long video! [rolleyes2]

Your definition of bad design sounds remarkably similar to mine! cmu:-) I'm just trying to avoid yet another language for when I want to add my outstanding design skills to my site! I have a good grasp of the simple stuff like html and CSS3, I can usually get PHP to work as I want. I really have no desire to start on javascript. I am tackling Swift, but I doubt that will translate to creating fancy graphics for gauges. Oh well, I'm just happy I don't havce to earn a living at this stuff!! [lol]

mcrossley

• Gale
    • ICHESHIR25
    • Wilmslow Astro Weather
« Reply #534 on: April 17, 2018, 09:23:31 AM »
As others have pointed out the sizes are one of three 'options' out of the box, but they are just set by CSS so you can change them to whatever you want.
There is a 'tweak' in the gauges.js file to scale the size if it detects it is being loaded on a mobile device - either smaller or larger, its just a multiplier.

As far as the bezel size, sorry that is fixed in the base SteelSeries library. I have looked at altering that (more than once!) but it is a BIG job which I cannot ever find the time for. A rewrite of the gauges would be required rather than fudging it as that would rapidly become very messy :( Shame as I would like them a bit slimmer - or even "bezel-less". I added the ability to switch off the display of the bezel, but it still occupies the space :(
Mark

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #535 on: April 17, 2018, 02:38:09 PM »
Thanks! I use media queries in CSS to change the sizes of images on my sites, already. It's also great for changing the number of columns to prevent too narrow or too wide lines of text.

With an option to turn the bezels off, it might be possible to use negative padding/margins to allow less 'white space'. And positioning the gauge over a CSS 'circle' might well serve as a narrower 'bezel'.

As an encouragement for your future gauge development/'tweaking', here are some 'modern', highly accurate and easy to scan/read examples:Naturally, everything connected to aircraft is at least double the price of the same thing in automotive use, so you could charge extra for these gauges!! [lol]
"Sure, I can code that! Programming is really just typing... " [computer] [rolleyes2]

mcrossley

• Gale
    • ICHESHIR25
    • Wilmslow Astro Weather
« Reply #536 on: July 23, 2018, 05:22:48 PM »
Quick question, I'm adding indoor temperature min/max (and times) at the request of  Weather Display user to make it consistent with the indoor humidity. To add the extra data to the WC data file are these data values available, and would the correct fields be...
"intemp":"STAT$INTTEMPERATURE:CURRENT$",
"intempTL":"STAT$INTTEMPERATURE:MIN:TODAY$",
"TintempTL":"STAT$INTTEMPERATURE:MIN:TODAY:TIME$",
"intempTH":"STAT$INTTEMPERATURE:MAX:TODAY$",
"TintempTH":"STAT$INTTEMPERATURE:MAX:TODAY:TIME$",

I'm doing this not primarily because lots of people are interested in the indoor min/max, but because it provides an easy way for people to display data from an additional temp/hum sensor if they so wish. Just edit the data file template and change the gauge name text.
Mark

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
I believe correct - somebody double-check? (Re: Steel Gauges)
« Reply #537 on: July 23, 2018, 11:49:16 PM »
Dear Mark and WeatherCat STAT tag experts,

Quick question, I'm adding indoor temperature min/max (and times) at the request of  Weather Display user to make it consistent with the indoor humidity. To add the extra data to the WC data file are these data values available, and would the correct fields be...
"intemp":"STAT$INTTEMPERATURE:CURRENT$",
"intempTL":"STAT$INTTEMPERATURE:MIN:TODAY$",
"TintempTL":"STAT$INTTEMPERATURE:MIN:TODAY:TIME$",
"intempTH":"STAT$INTTEMPERATURE:MAX:TODAY$",
"TintempTH":"STAT$INTTEMPERATURE:MAX:TODAY:TIME$",

That looks correct to me, but I'm no expert on the STAT tag.  Can somebody double-check this?

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #538 on: July 24, 2018, 05:27:32 PM »
These also look correct to me, Mark. I think this is a nice addition to the gauges. Thank you.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #539 on: July 26, 2018, 04:47:08 AM »
I have upgraded my SteelSeries Gauges to version 2.7.0, which is now available on Github. I can confirm that the new daily min and max for Internal Temperature are working properly on the popup graph. A big THANK YOU to Mark Crossley for your continuing improvements to these stunning gauges. Maybe one of these days, you will share your code for the altimeter look on the Cloud Base gauge so that Reinhard and I will stop feeling sorry for ourselves.  ;D

The WeatherCat Wiki instructions for SteelSeries Gauges are found at http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Steel_Series_Gauges
Blick