Author Topic: Client Problems  (Read 2356 times)

embayweather

• Strong Breeze
    • DW3656
    • lENGLAND128
    • Lancastrian Imaging
  • Station Details: Oregon WM928, Intel Mac 2.5Ghz, I5 Quad core, Met Office spec manual instruments, Cat, WD, 1-wire, Labjack, Lightning Radar
Client Problems
« on: May 22, 2012, 08:19:35 AM »
I cannot get my client to work over the internet. I use a dyndns address which the client tells me it can find. it then goes away to 'find the details', and cannot find anything to do with the Cat. I have opened the relevant ports on my router, what else am I missing? I am having similar problems with the iOS client too. I hate this getting old, you can't work things out as easily as you could.

Best wishes

Mike

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Client Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
Hi Mike,
Here's a couple of things to try off the top of my head.

First, check your current Internet IP address and try that in the client instead of the dyndns domain name - if that works then the problem is dyndns do not have your current IP address. you can find your current IP address at: http://www.whatsmyip.org/

Secondly, check the ports you have forwarded are forwarded to the right machine on your network (i.e. the machine running WeatherCat). You can do this by going to that machine, then System Preferences->Network - the machine's IP address will be displayed there. Also check that forwarding is actually enabled - there may be something in routers configuration that is preventing forwarding.

Finally, check if you have the firewall enabled on the machine running WeatherCat (System Preferences->Security & Privacy and select the Firewall tab. Check the settings there (I think by default this is off and allows all connections).

Also check if you have any third party firewall/security software running - you may need to inform that about the port you wish to open.

Hope this helps.

embayweather

• Strong Breeze
    • DW3656
    • lENGLAND128
    • Lancastrian Imaging
  • Station Details: Oregon WM928, Intel Mac 2.5Ghz, I5 Quad core, Met Office spec manual instruments, Cat, WD, 1-wire, Labjack, Lightning Radar
Re: Client Problems
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:59:19 AM »
Thanks so much for that. i thought I had checked everything, but your email reminded me that I had rebooted the router, and thus my computer IP address had changed. Changed that in the router and all is well, as it is with my iphone version.

Thanks once again

Best wishes

Mike