Author Topic: New Version of Catalina  (Read 4562 times)

Chet

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW1987
    • IBADENWU20
  • Station Details: Davis Vue, iMac OS X, Catalina
New Version of Catalina
« on: May 29, 2020, 08:48:48 PM »
Downloaded the newest version of Catalina today. Weathercat will not load. Any solutions?

Just solved. The update corrupted the permissions file.
Chet
Castle Rock Colorado

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Does it create a crash report? (Re: New Version of Catalina)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 11:02:25 PM »
Dear Chet and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Downloaded the newest version of Catalina today. Weathercat will not load. Any solutions?

Unfortunately, I haven't upgraded to Catalina so I can't help you.  Has anyone else run into this problem with the latest version of macOS?

Chet, does WeatherCat generate any crash reports when you attempt to launch it?  If so, retrieving that file would help Stu troubleshoot the problem.  The instructions on how to get the crash report can be found on this thread:

https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1785.0

If you could attach the crash report to this thread or send it directly to Tixology technical report that would be the best way to get some help with this problem.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: New Version of Catalina
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 01:39:09 AM »
There is also a bug in the file system that affects the usability of CCC to initiate new backups. That app has already supplied a fix so the app can now create a new backup. But the problem was reported to apple while the latest update was still in beta and Apple seems to not feel it is important. I hate to tell them, and I know they will find my comments shocking, but CCC is more important, to me, than Catalina macOS 10.15.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 02:35:16 PM »
I'm running MacOS 10.15.5 and WeatherCat 3.0.5 build 27 here without any problems.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Corrupted preference file? (Re: New Version of Catalina)
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 10:27:01 PM »
Dear Chet, X-Air, Steve, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I'm running MacOS 10.15.5 and WeatherCat 3.0.5 build 27 here without any problems.

Thanks Steve for confirming that WeatherCat is working fine at least with the English text. I suppose there could be a problem with the German.  I hope Reinhard is watching and comment on that.

There is one other possibility.  The WeatherCat preference file could have been corrupted during the update and that's why WeatherCat is unable to launch.  We have a Wiki article on how to make a backup and restore a preference file:

https://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=How_to_create_and_use_a_backup_of_your_WeatherCat_preferences_file

Obviously, if you have a backup of the preference file, you can follow the procedure to restore it and see if that solves your problem.  If you didn't make a specific backup of the WeatherCat preference file, you might have it backed up in some other way.  For example, Time Machine will automatically backup all files including the WeatherCat preference file.

If you can restore the WeatherCat preferences file some other way, the caveat is that you need to reboot your computer before attempting to launch WeatherCat.  Details on this are included in the Wiki article. 

Let us know if this get your installation of WeatherCat working once more.

Cheers, Edouard

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: Corrupted preference file? (Re: New Version of Catalina)
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 07:47:09 AM »
I hope Reinhard is watching and comment on that.
Hello folks, my system is still 10.13 High Sierra, because my beloved Mac mini (luckily) isn't capeable to run a newer macOS. But even my other two Macs are still only on 10.14 Mojave allthough they are able to run Catalina - to be honest, I don't trust Catalina.
Sorry to be no help in this thread. Cheers,
Reinhard

Chet

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW1987
    • IBADENWU20
  • Station Details: Davis Vue, iMac OS X, Catalina
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 11:12:28 AM »
I fixed the problem. The preference file was corrupted. Thanks for the suggestions. :)
Chet
Castle Rock Colorado

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Glad all is well. (Re: New Version of Catalina)
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 11:16:51 PM »
Dear Reinhard, Chet, and WeatherCat faithful,

Hello folks, my system is still 10.13 High Sierra, because my beloved Mac mini (luckily) isn't capeable to run a newer macOS. But even my other two Macs are still only on 10.14 Mojave allthough they are able to run Catalina - to be honest, I don't trust Catalina.
Sorry to be no help in this thread. Cheers,

No worries and thanks for chiming in!  I'm also stuck on Mojave in part for the same reasons as you.  However, I have a lot of 32-bit software that I depend upon and have been abandoned by their developers.  Even if I were to upgrade to Catalina, I would be spending a lot of time in a Mojave virtual machine - just doesn't seem worth it.

I fixed the problem. The preference file was corrupted. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Thanks Chet for sharing the good news!  Glad it wasn't too much of a problem!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 11:03:20 PM »
I'm still on Mojave here as well - no burning desire to upgrade yet. What's more, I don't think Apple trusts Catalina either. I bought a new computer and it came with Mojave installed so I just left it that way.
Blick