Author Topic: Davis Vantage Vue - ISS Power  (Read 3219 times)

acw342

• Gentle Breeze
    • ICODOWNB3
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue Weather Cat v1.2.4, intel i7 iMac, 2TB SSD/HDD, 48Gb RAM. Reporting to UK Met Office WoW program.
Davis Vantage Vue - ISS Power
« on: January 03, 2018, 01:09:48 PM »
It's that time again. Data passing to the console in daylight hours and drying up not much after evening twilight. This time the CR 123 has lasted about 18 months and I'll be calling my friendly neighbourhood aerial erector to replace the battery and clean the unit down (clear the rain collector and wipe externals with a damp cloth). This costs me ?20.00 and a cup of instant coffee.

To avoid this almost biennial meeting, does anyone know of a way to connect a 3V DC supply to the unit without frying the internals?

The ISS is mounted on a 20' (ish) mast on my gable end wall and is about 50' above ground level. There is a mains power socket for a charger, 5' from the window you can just see on the attached photo. Any help would be appreciated. I'm long past climbing tall ladders and I suspect my friendly erector may be looking at cashing in his pension plan sometime soon.

Regards, A342   

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Davis Vantage Vue - ISS Power
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 06:42:44 PM »
Great question. I suggest you email Davis Tech Support and ask them. Here is their address ==> support@davisnet.com
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Certainly possible for VP-2 (Re: Davis Vantage Vue - ISS Power)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 11:30:43 PM »
Dear ACW342, Blick, and WeatherCat station caregivers,

To avoid this almost biennial meeting, does anyone know of a way to connect a 3V DC supply to the unit without frying the internals?

Indeed Davis technical support will know the definite answer, but odds are that you can.  I've been powering my Davis Vantage Pro-2 from home AC for years now.    Here is a photo of the ISS circuit board with the required connections:

Here is a photo of the exterior arrangement:

This allows me to keep the temperature and humidity probe under a large deck that all but eliminates problems of solar radiation perturbing the air temperature values.

I can't be sure the Vantage Vue is the same because they must have done some cost-cutting measures.  However, if the ISS circuit board is the same, then certainly you will be able to power your station with AC power.

Cheers, Edouard