Author Topic: Weather Cat version 2.4.4 MacOS Higher Sierra 10.13.3 bug  (Read 24834 times)

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
  • Station Details: iMac, Davis Vonage Pro
Re: Weather Cat version 2.4.4 MacOS Higher Sierra 10.13.3 bug
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2018, 07:33:01 PM »
I will let you know in a week or so but my guess is WC was hanging in starting mode because the Pro 2 was loosing power at night. As I remember the problem occurred in early morning. Weather underground tells you how long you have been off line. Sun comes up and Pro 2 starts working but WC needs a restart to get out of starting mode. The time it worked for 3 days after installing the no sleep app was sunny weather. Not sure why restarting in the morning would keep it up but I am guessing it just happen because of more sunshine or other factors. 2 or 3 occurrences are not enough samples. Thanks

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Let us know how repairs work out. (Was: Weather Cat bug)
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2018, 10:59:15 PM »
Dear N4KHQ, X-Air, and WeatherCat station caregivers,

I went ahead and moved this topic into Weather Hardware so that we could continue the discussion without disturbing Stu monitoring of the Bugs topic.

I will let you know in a week or so but my guess is WC was hanging in starting mode because the Pro 2 was loosing power at night.

It does appear that you allowed your station to go too far without some TLC.  WeatherCat has a nice feature to remind you to check your station hardware.  It is on the Misc2 pane of the WeatherCat preferences.  It is described starting on page 165 of the WeatherCat 3 manual.

Do let us know how your transmitter replacement works out.  I ran into a similar problem a few years back, but my problem was definitely more complicated and ultimately required changing the location of my transmitter as well.  In your case, it should be a straightforward swap of new for old.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2018, 11:33:40 PM »
It worked great for 8 years. I have the console in a window that has line of sight to a short rohn 35 tower. Not sure what caused white looking plastic on the solar charger. I tried to clean it off but it does not appear to be glass under the plastic material.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2018, 03:06:50 AM »
I agree with Steve's suggestion that you get your entire unit refurbed by Davis. I did that a few years ago and it was well worth it. They replaced every sensor and upgraded the firmware in the console. I also have replaced my wireless transmitter unit, several times. The first couple of replacements were dead and did not work right out of the box. There is a thread somewhere on this forum about that saga.

Also, Davis says that the solar panel will work unless the panel becomes cloudy. They are not concerned about the plastic covering. They also told me that they have never seen a solar panel fail so they are very skeptical about the need to replace that panel.
Blick

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2018, 11:43:00 AM »
Thanks for the info, must be the age that turned mine cloudy.

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2018, 06:14:22 PM »
Ok, senile old men don't need weather stations. I did not want to wait for a Davis repair so I ordered a transmitter. My transmitter came today, it did not fit my pro 2 rain gauge mount. It was pole mounted and bigger and heaver. I cut the back off the old transmitter, mounted it to a piece of aluminum and bolted the aluminum to the new transmitter. The clip on worked well. I went through the setup. It saw the transmitter on the default 1. x was blinking. Settings was still in memory. I turn retransmit off because I thought did not need it for one station. Console is not receive anything but indoor readings. I have an R in the lower right corner where the blink x used to be. Any thoughts.

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2018, 06:23:32 PM »
It just took some time to start working. I will let you know how well it stays connected to Weather Underground after a few days of testing. Thanks for the help.

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2018, 06:45:50 PM »
I left the console running for 3 days waiting for the transmitter to arrive. It keep my settings alive but the trade of is WC has been upload bad historical data for 20 minutes. I turned WC of and apparently the usb interface from the pro2 console stored the bad data. Still uploading bad data.

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2018, 07:13:36 PM »
Duh!! after 45 minutes of uploading Historical junk data, I disabled Historical update. my Personal Weather Station is working again. Does anyone know how the Console stores historical data. Hopefully it is constantly overwriting the data an after a period of time will be good data again. I like the Historical upload for power outages. Thanks

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 08:57:21 PM »
You are making progress!

Since you did not change your Station ID when you replaced your transmitter, make sure the old transmitter does not have the battery in it because you can still be picking up the signal from the old unit.

It is your data logger that is storing historical data. You can clear the data logger by changing the interval in WeatherCat, as follows:

WeatherCat | Tools | Station Hardware Options | Set DataLogger Interval

When you change the interval, it will clear the data in the logger. You can wait a couple of minutes and change it back to the original interval if you like that. There is a wiki article on how much data you save based on the interval.

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Capacity_of_the_Davis_data-logger_to_store_weather_data_depending_on_the_chosen_sampling_interval
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Glad you are putting things back together (Was: Weather Cat version 2.4.4)
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2018, 09:21:39 PM »
Dear N4KHQ, Blick, and WeatherCat station caregivers, . . . .

Ok, senile old men don't need weather stations.

[wink] . . . . . True, but that doesn't mean some men really, really want them! . . . .  [biggrin]

I did not want to wait for a Davis repair so I ordered a transmitter.
. . . . .

Yup!  When it comes to weather data I really wait to lose any more than necessary.

It is your data logger that is storing historical data.  . . . .

Just for the sake of completeness, you can also clear it directly using the Davis WeatherLink software if you kept your copy.

Let us know how you are progressing.  Hopefully your station will be back to normal soon!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
Just for the sake of completeness, you can also clear it directly using the Davis WeatherLink software if you kept your copy.

Hahaha. I forgot about that because I threw my copy away about 11 years ago.
Blick

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2018, 10:38:51 PM »
Thanks for the information. running smooth but it will take several days to tell for sure.

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2018, 03:01:00 PM »
I am running 10.13.3 and do not have the never sleep option on the energy saving panel. I can tell it not to sleep when the monitor sleeps. I am running the app to never sleep but I don't think I need it after repairing the weather station. It took Weather Underground 24 hours to recover from the bad historical data I unloaded. This morning the Personal Weather Station (PWS) started showing summary data and started the graphs. Weather Station and WC appear to be running perfect. It will take a few more days to be sure. About the time I loaded the never sleep app, we had 4 days of sunny weather before clouds came back in. I think the sunny days was what made me think the never sleep app fixed my problem. After a few days or being up I will remove the never sleep app and test.  Thanks for the help

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2018, 03:38:10 PM »
Happy for your progress. Let us know how it turns out when you have verified.
Blick