Author Topic: WC FTP connection  (Read 1523 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
WC FTP connection
« on: May 04, 2019, 03:14:39 AM »
Today I tossed all of my old and dying Apple home networking hardware in the rubbish bin and installed a new router and wireless network. When I brought WeatherCat back up, I see that WC can only upload data to my website when my iMac is set to connect to the home network wirelessly. When I turn wireless off and connect the iMac with a wired ethernet connection to the router, WC cannot FTP data to the site. When wireless is off the error message I get in WC for testing the FTP connection is:
FTP ERROR (6) - Couldn't resolve host.

Is this the way it has always been or is there some arcane setting I have forgotten about? I am using a WeatherLink IP Data Looger if that makes any difference. The logger is successfully cabled via ethernet to the network. As soon as I turn off wireless on my iMac the WC Log shows that FTP (both Main and Aux) stop working. When I turn it back on, I am back in business.
Any ideas?
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: WC FTP connection
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 05:44:17 PM »
Can you access the server via FTP with any other app (FTP client, BBEdit, etc.)?
Do you have another Ethernet cable you can try?
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 09:37:04 PM »
I have just been nominated for Eejit of the Year. When I rebuilt the network, at one point I had to force my iMac to use a specific internal IP address and I did that by manually entering the appropriate IP. So even though I assigned the hardware to use the correct address, I failed to remember to put it back the way it was. WeatherCat is looking for a static IP address that is created with a DHCP reservation in the router. When I remembered the folly of my ways, WeatherCat resumed its normal, excellent gathering and disseminating of the data. One problem solved. Next in line, please (don't forget to vote for me in the aforementioned award ceremonies coming later this year to a ballot box near you).

And May the Fourth be with you.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 10:45:13 PM »
I suspect you should write up a Bug Report! I'm sure you would never maik a misteak like that, sew it must be a bug en the oS!! [rolleyes2] ThU32:-) Thanks for helping the rest of us be on the look out for sumthing simalor!! [blush]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system