Author Topic: Firewall and Virus protection for Mac  (Read 4631 times)

Beekpr

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4502
    • KNHWESTM3
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2+, WeatherLink IP, 27" iMac 5K Retina, OS 10.10.5
Firewall and Virus protection for Mac
« on: October 26, 2015, 03:42:46 PM »
Since it seems many of us have our computers online 24/7 running WC, I'm wondering what users have found to be their favorite firewall and virus protection software.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
John

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: Firewall and Virus protection for Mac
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 04:07:38 PM »
Hi John,

I never used the (build in) Firewall of OS X, and never used any virus protection software. Online with WeatherCat since March 2008, and never had any troubles.

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 06:25:15 PM »
Like Reinhard, I've found Apple's built-in firewall (when turned on) to be perfectly adequate. But the older Mac mini server, limited to running my weather, weather-related and security cam software 24x7, has no high-value passwords and nothing of financial value on it so I don't even bother running a logger to track connect attempts.

And I don't run a 3rd party virus protection either.

Knock on wood, haven't had a hacking problem to date.

awilltx

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 06:44:31 PM »
I just use the built-in firewall in OS X. Occasionally, I will run my home folder files through the free ClamXav, available on the app store. Virus updates are automatic when you start the app. Best of all, it doesn't run in the background, just when you want to use it.

Alan

Update: Well, ClamXav was on the app store at one time. It's now no long free, either, but it is still a great app. Find it here:

https://www.clamxav.com

Alan

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Not a problem thus far. (Re: Firewall and Virus protection for Mac)
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 08:02:24 PM »
Dear John, Reinhard, Felix, Alan, and WeatherCat sys-admins,

Since it seems many of us have our computers online 24/7 running WC, I'm wondering what users have found to be their favorite firewall and virus protection software.

Like all the replies here to date, I've been running all the Macs in the house 24/7 and never had a problem with viruses.  We have a Mac Mini that serves as a hub but I never did anything special to firewall the house.  The only thing I run is Privoxy which is a ad-blocker.  If you use Microsoft Office, you might be a bit more vulnerable, but at the moment the virus and malware crowd seems relatively uninterested in Macs.  Given the explosion in smart phones and tablets, and the decline of PCs, we may see this sort of threat fade away as not fashionable to the hackers.

Cheers, Edouard

Beekpr

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4502
    • KNHWESTM3
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2+, WeatherLink IP, 27" iMac 5K Retina, OS 10.10.5
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 08:18:10 PM »
Thanks, gents!

We definitely are fortunate not to have many of these issues on our Macs but I do believe the day is coming when that will no longer be true. As I do use Microsoft Office, I run the Mac firewall and the free Sophos anti-virus (which just stopped me from logging on to a periodical's website that I frequent because it contains a virus). I guess I'll leave it t that for now and hope the creeps that create the problems leave us alone!

Cheers,

John

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 12:03:28 AM »
I think most Malware is now loaded by the use of 'User deception'; the developers try (and too often do) trick the user into allow the malware to be installed, thus by-passing the built-in security functions. Fortunately, that malware still seems to be targeted at Windows, though some security experts have found holes in Apple's barriers. So I have nothing running on the mini (24/7) nor my iMac. I do have ClamXav available for occasional use. I've had a free copy for decades, paid the 30 bucks as a reward for the guy's continued work. ;)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 12:18:16 AM »
Just running the built-in Firewall baked into OS X here.
Blick

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 01:23:24 PM »
I check for malware using Malwarebytes Anti- Malware for Mac usually once a week or so after having a problem about a year ago.

Virus checking is done by Avast for Mac. Occasionally it warns me of a virus in a website.

Both programs are free which suits my Sporran which is usually sewn tightly shut when it come to software.  [cheers1]

JC

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Norton still around. (Re: Firewall and Virus protection for Mac)
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 08:33:02 PM »
Dear John, X-Air, Blick, JC, and WeatherCat network admins, . . .

I was going through the Costco sales flyer for November and was really surprised to see that Norton Security still exists and is still available for Mac:

http://www.norton.com/

I'm still not sure it is worth the purchase, but Norton claims to support Macs and iOS.  Honestly, I am more concerned about iOS these days.  I'm not too worried about OS X, but iOS isn't as well designed and is certainly popular enough for hackers to have a reason to attack it.

Something to think about especially with a Costco discount if you are a member.

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 09:58:51 PM »
Actually, I think iOS is much "better" designed, at least in the sandboxing and lack of user (confused/tricked or otherwise) access. The App Store verification method, though still not perfect, doesn't even exist in most other OSes.

Software takes up no physical space until it is put on some kind of media. A billion copies takes only as much disk space as one copy. It is extremely easy to "warehouse". ;) Just because software (or fill in that word with hundreds of other items) is still available, doesn't mean it useful, safe, needed, supported, or even good. People actually still get SCAM letters via snail mail. People still respond, but the SCAMs are still fraudulent, and the "recipients" still lose money.

Norton was a package of disaster many years ago, well known for causing many more troubles than it ever prevented. I haven't seen a favorable review of it in a decade. But, I'm actually holding back on what I really think of it (and most other third-party "security" software). [rolleyes2] [lol]

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 10:16:42 PM »
Responding a bit late...
I use the built in Firewall on my MacMini. Am not aware of any attacks or hacks. However, I have hooked up my weather cam to the guest network because I worry that it would be a vulnerable link into the main network in the house. Also, I have no vital info on my weather server - no logins, passwords, etc. Have never accessed my iCloud account via the weather server.

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 11:08:04 PM »
Firewall and virus protection? ? My favorite? ? I'd have to say refractory brick and latex, if i were to be perfectly honest. Never delved into computer virus and firewall security issues. I think the iMac has a firewall, though I haven't invoked it. I'm pretty sure the router has its own firewall, too. I've had to deal with it a few times. At least, I thought that was a firewall.

Never had any problems with viruses. I have run into the occasional Trojan, but the sign on the Internet door here reads "Luwian not spoken here!" But it's also in French, "Louvite on ne parle pas ici!" They generally leave without harm by the bit-bucket door, muttering something about giant wooden badgers. In English of course, but I knew they were Trojans.

[computer]

"Hello, we're from your utility company and we're going to have to cut off your power unless you pay our home office in Nigeria immediately!"
Herb

TechnoMonkey

• Strong Breeze
    • EW9323
    • KTXARANS6
    • TechnoMonkeys Weather
  • Station Details: La Crosse WS-2315 / High Sierra Server / Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8GB Ram / OS 120GB SSD / Home Folder 500GB FireWire / DATA 8TB RAID 5 / 1TB TIME CAPSULE
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 05:05:18 AM »
The only good reason for a virus program is to protect your PC counterparts.  Though the virus will not jack with the mac, it can be transferred.

Firewalls are always a good thing.  It closes down ports that you do not need to have open.  My server gets hit day and night mostly from China then New York and California.  The built-in firewall is just fine along with the routers firewall.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 04:31:26 PM »
Are you implying that you have "PC" (Windows) using "friends"?! I agree with your concerns for them, but I can't remember the last time I forwarded anything to them, with or without attachments/images, or without copying and pasting the parts I wanted to share. That may not affect 100% of hidden malware, but I have (probably) wasted several megabytes down the interweb tubes trying to convince my friends of the dangers of 'un-protected emailing'! I suspect the Mac to PC transmission rate is but a tiny fraction of the total, anyway. If I ran my own server, I'm sure taking more precautions would be mandatory, also.

I gotta go now, I have a new list of sites that are offering big discounts to some "interesting" videos of some famous people... [banghead] [blush]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:59:48 PM by xairbusdriver »