Author Topic: Meteotemplate  (Read 137704 times)

monymony

• Strong Breeze
  • CoCoRaHS - MD-CC-16
    • EW3643
    • KMDELKTO10
    • Cecil County Maryland Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Re: Meteotemplate
« Reply #405 on: April 19, 2017, 01:07:51 PM »
Thanks Stu and Jachym for combining the Meteotemplate API and WeatherCat.  What a great combination!
 [woohoo]

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #406 on: April 19, 2017, 08:20:39 PM »
The really cool thing possible with Meteotemplate is that you have some *freedom* to design the look&feel of the template - especially when diving into the deeps of the coding of the blocks and plugins. Very impressive, Jachym!  [cheers1]

Another cool thing to mention is that Stu implemented the MeteoTemplate plugin to WeatherCat. This leads me to what monymony said: It's really a great combination!  [bounce]

[rock]

Reinhard

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
  • Station Details: WH1080
« Reply #407 on: April 19, 2017, 08:24:32 PM »
 [cheer] [cheer] [cheer] [cheer] [cheer]

jhoke

• Gentle Breeze
  • this space for rent
    • EW5604
    • KPAALBRI11
    • Indian Mountain Lakes - Carbon County Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, MacMini (i5 2.5Ghz 4GBRam 500GB HD, 4TB attached storage), other bits coming soon (UV, etc)
« Reply #408 on: April 25, 2017, 01:12:58 AM »
John, just looked at your new site. Clean and fast. Nice work.

I second that

Thanks! I moved this (and a bunch of other sites) to an amazon Lightsail virtual server ...  I used the $20/mo plan, but there are plans there for $5/mo with a TB of transfer quota!

Pretty damn good :) [rockon]

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
  • It is far better to wear out than to rust away.
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
  • Station Details: Weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2. Software: WeatherCat. Computer: Mac Mini, High Sierra OS
« Reply #409 on: May 28, 2017, 09:55:39 PM »
I am using api to upload data from WeatherCat to my Meteotemplate website. My problem is, I am going to update the Mac Mini that is running WeatherCat to Sierra. How does the api handle periods when WeatherCat, or the computer, isn't running?

When I've installed Sierra, will the api 'catch up' with any data not uploaded, or will I lose data for the period the computer is offline?

Thanks - ALAN.

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #410 on: May 28, 2017, 10:23:48 PM »
Hi Alan,
no the API will not handle this, it always sends just the most recent values, but you can import data retrospectively using the log files (you might have done it already when first installing the template)

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
  • Station Details: Weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2. Software: WeatherCat. Computer: Mac Mini, High Sierra OS
« Reply #411 on: May 29, 2017, 08:54:39 AM »
Thanks Jachym. I think I can cope with that.

ALAN

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #412 on: May 29, 2017, 12:55:53 PM »
Hi Alan,
some practical knowledge from my side. Recently we did have a power outage here, and I also had to import the data from this missing 3 or 4 hours. So here is my workflow:

? When the power came back, booting the Mac and starting WeatherCat
? The Cat collects the missing data from Davis datalogger
? Export the day when it happened in 5 min steps (exporting less than a day not possible from WeatherCat - correct me if I am wrong)
? Cut the exported data to only the missing time span
? Now the important thing: Edit the exported data to something the importer of Meteotemplate can handle, for this
? read carefully the explanations in the section of Meteotemplate Controller > Database > Data Import

I have had to fiddle around a bit with the time/date settings to get it handled by Meteotemplate, but finally it works.

Hope this helps a bit!
Reinhard

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
« Reply #413 on: May 29, 2017, 12:59:16 PM »
Thanks wurzel.

I have just finished the Sierra update and exported the missing data. Hopefully this will upload successfully to Meteotemplate and I will have no problems.

I have been putting off the Sierra update for weeks expecting problems. Less painful than I envisaged.

ALAN.

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #414 on: May 30, 2017, 12:04:18 AM »
Hi guys,

I was of course thinking about some feature to enable loading data automatically during outages.

Unfortunately I personally dont see any way of doing this technically.

First problem - the API uses HTTP GET request. This means the data is sent via URL and the length is limited, it is perfectly fine for one data set, maybe two or three would be fine as well, but thats like 3 minutes of data... no way you could send hundreds of data sets via URL

Second problem - the communication is always one-way. SW->MT. A desktop program can send data to the internet, but a webpage cannot send anything to a SW, which is a problem again because the template would somehow have to let the SW know what the last record in the db is.

Third problem - each SW works differently (and MT now supports over 10...) and as you know, you have to set up the parameters and then also you see on the screen what is happening so you have some way of telling what happened and can check if it proceeded ok. If it "somehow" happened in the background you never know if something was sent, if it was correctly saved etc.

But the primary issue is the problem number 1. Long files also can time-out so you see that on the screen and repeat the import which then imports the rest, but if it was automatic it is again a problem because of the inability of MT (or webpage in general) to communicate back and report what happened.

Last but not least, one of the goals of the API was to get rid of any CRON jobs, FTPs etc. These are always difficult for users to understand, set up and FTP is slow and unreliable compared to HTTP GET request.

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
« Reply #415 on: May 30, 2017, 07:27:07 AM »
I needed to change the date format in the logfile to something that the database could understand, but that only took a couple of minutes with Textedit. I also had to change the conditions in the loffile to singles words, e.g. sun, clouds, rain, as two word conditions like 'light rain' were read as a separate column when importing. Again, this only took a couple of minutes.

Once the data was in a format compatible with the database, importing was a breeze.

ALAN

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #416 on: May 30, 2017, 02:46:20 PM »
Once the data was in a format compatible with the database, importing was a breeze.

Yesss.  ;D
Reinhard

leonrossouw

• Gentle Breeze
    • iGauteng95
    • Elandsbergweather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue , Macbook 13 inch early 2008
« Reply #417 on: June 05, 2017, 02:13:00 PM »
Been using meteotemplate for 1 week.
Absolutely great !
Does anyone know how I can export my data as a .csv file without data like "light cloud"etc.
I am trying to import my historical data into meteotemplate.
Regards,
Leon Rossouw

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #418 on: June 05, 2017, 04:57:41 PM »
Hello Leon,

as far as I know you can only export all data that WeatherCat has collected. The only thing you can control is the time window (today, yesterday, user-defined, etc.). After exporting you can open the csv file with Excel or LibreOffice or Numbers and here you can arrange the data that you want to import in Meteotemplate. After done this, save the edited file again as .csv and try to import in Meteotemplate.

Hope this helps,
Reinhard

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate 15.0 Black Currant
« Reply #419 on: July 10, 2017, 09:46:36 PM »
Hi guys,
new version and many new features including possibility to save any sensor data to database (UV, extra temp, humidity, soil temp, soil moisture, leaf wetness etc etc.), higher security, etc. and last but not least a new, now fully automated update procedure

http://meteotemplate.com/blog/?p=2969

Enjoy