Author Topic: Upgrading to a Vantage Vue. Any Gotchas?  (Read 3539 times)

davebarfoot

• Gentle Breeze
    • ISOMESE69
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue
Upgrading to a Vantage Vue. Any Gotchas?
« on: November 19, 2014, 04:05:02 PM »
I currently have a Maplin weather station (badged Fine Offset WH1080) connected to Weathercat v2.

I have just ordered a Davis Vantage Vue/USB (Mac) Datalogger to replace it.

I was wondering if there are any precautions I need to take when I switch from one to the other. I plan to set  up the Davis and make sure everything's working, shutdown the mac, swap the USB from the Maplin to the Davis, then reboot and make sure Weathercat can see the station.

I think the Davis deals with rain totals differently. Is that going to confuse Weathercat somewhere along the line? I suspect there are more differences than this too.

The other worry I have is that if I've have both systems storing data at the same time, is Weathercat going to cope with the new Davis having data for a time period it's already got data for? Should I accepts a small gap in my data to avoid any issues (the Maplin has been providing me with gaps in my data so another, FINAL, gap won't be too depressing)

Just trying to convince myself I'm not going to break everything when the new system arrives :-)

Thanks,

Dave Barfoot.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Congratulations! (Re: Upgrading to a Vantage Vue. Any Gotchas?)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 09:31:05 PM »
Dear Dave and WeatherCat members of the "wouldn't you really rather have a Davis" club,

I was wondering if there are any precautions I need to take when I switch from one to the other.

You have some very good questions and as far as I can recall they have never been answered before.  You will probably need Stu's authoritative opinion on some of these matters.

I plan to set  up the Davis and make sure everything's working, shutdown the mac, swap the USB from the Maplin to the Davis, then reboot and make sure Weathercat can see the station.

Seems like a reasonable strategy.  Just to double-check, have you ordered a Mac data logger to go with the Vantage Vue?  You need that additional hardware to connect to your Mac.

I think the Davis deals with rain totals differently. Is that going to confuse Weathercat somewhere along the line? I suspect there are more differences than this too.

Unfortunately, I don't know for sure.  However, WeatherCat stores it data consistently.  I would suspect that so long as you don't make the swap on a rainy day (if you can pull that off,) you shouldn't have any problems.

The other worry I have is that if I've have both systems storing data at the same time, is Weathercat going to cope with the new Davis having data for a time period it's already got data for? Should I accepts a small gap in my data to avoid any issues (the Maplin has been providing me with gaps in my data so another, FINAL, gap won't be too depressing)

I'm not sure on this one either, but my impression is that WeatherCat only uses data from the station when it doesn't already have data for the period.  Every now and then I have to take my computer down for maintenance and when WeatherCat reconnects, it download the entire contents of the data logger.  However, it only changes the data that wasn't already collected.  Once more you might want to check with Stu to be 100% certain.

Congrats on the new station.  You'll like Davis ruggedness and accuracy.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

davebarfoot

• Gentle Breeze
    • ISOMESE69
Re: Upgrading to a Vantage Vue. Any Gotchas?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 09:05:50 AM »
Thanks.

I suspect I have a week or so before it arrives and I can find the time to set it all up.

I think I'll add in a step to shut down Weathercat and take a separate backup of all its files just before the shutdown/switchover for good measure :-)

Dave Barfoot

davebarfoot

• Gentle Breeze
    • ISOMESE69
Re: Congratulations! (Re: Upgrading to a Vantage Vue. Any Gotchas?)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 09:16:40 AM »
Just to double-check, have you ordered a Mac data logger to go with the Vantage Vue?  You need that additional hardware to connect to your Mac.

Ha Ha. You made me doubt myself and had to go back and check the order confirmation. It's listed as 6520MAC so I think I ordered the right thing :-)

Dave Barfoot.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Sounds good! (Re: Upgrading to a Vantage Vue. Any Gotchas?)
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 07:38:23 PM »
Dear Dave and WeatherCat Davis fans,

Yes, you seem to be in good shape!  Enjoy your Davis Vue!

davebarfoot

• Gentle Breeze
    • ISOMESE69
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 11:07:54 AM »
Just thought I'd update to say the transition went smoothly and WeatherCat seems happy with the switch in data source.

It's amazing how much more robust this system feels than my old Maplin!

Dave Barfoot

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 03:18:52 PM »
Glad to hear you are up and running on the new hardware. Enjoy.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Congratulations! (Re: Upgrading to a Vantage Vue. Any Gotchas?)
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 09:17:40 PM »
Congratulations Dave!

You'll be much happier with a Davis station!