Author Topic: Year Over Year to show min/max values  (Read 2427 times)

monymony

• Strong Breeze
  • CoCoRaHS - MD-CC-16
    • EW3643
    • KMDELKTO10
    • Cecil County Maryland Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Year Over Year to show min/max values
« on: October 04, 2014, 10:28:13 PM »
Currently when viewing the Year Over Year values for Temperature (Maximum), as an example, the tables shows both the monthly and yearly average at the far right and bottom.  Instead it would be more helpful to show the max temperature for the year/month on this table since really when you look at maximums you are looking for the extremes, not averages.  Same logic would hold true for tables with Minimums displayed.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Year Over Year to show min/max values
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 09:44:58 AM »
Yep, I can see where you're coming from. What do others think?

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 06:32:56 PM »
My two pennies worth:

I would leave it as is for consistence look: All YearOverYear stats are summarized in ? month at the bottom and ? year at the right. The min's and max's can be better displayed with certain tags on an additional site on everybody's webpages: Here you can add the time and date of the occurance (e.g. Max Temp Out [Value] on [Date] at [Time]).

On the other side I can understand monymony - but as explained above I would leave as is.

Only my two cents :)
wurzelmac
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Need averages somewhere (Re: Year Over Year to show min/max values)
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 10:18:06 PM »
Hi Jay, Stu, Reinhard, and WeatherCat "amateur climatologists,"

Currently when viewing the Year Over Year values for Temperature (Maximum), as an example, the tables shows both the monthly and yearly average at the far right and bottom.  Instead it would be more helpful to show the max temperature for the year/month on this table since really when you look at maximums you are looking for the extremes, not averages.  Same logic would hold true for tables with Minimums displayed.

Well, I think it depends on what you are trying to get out of the data.  Before climate change, indeed like you Jay was just curious about extremes.  However, now I'm trying to pay attention to what is "normal."   The National Weather Service Climate Prediction Center gives their forecasts as departures from seasonable averages.  So all of a sudden I am very interested in what little data I have about what happens at my station on average.  So the average high and low temperatures for a given month are something I can use to compare against predictions.

That doesn't dismiss your point Jay and I don't know how to accommodate both points of view.  Still, I do think we need to pay more attention to what are station can tell us about how the climate might be changing, even if it is a very small amount of data.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Wuls

• Calm
    • Mijn eigen weer
  • Station Details: wireless Davis Vantage pro 2, Imac mac osx
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 12:10:59 PM »
the Dutch national weather institute (KNMI) tells us the "normal" daytemp during the seasons.
It could help if there was a way that we fill in that temp once a week for example normal season day temperature table.
that way you see a somewhat strait line in the table during a season or period in a season
to make it scientific responsible, make 2 season temp lines one for the daytime and the second for the nighttime temp's
by that way you can integrate your "normal"  temp / rain etc in the yearly table(s) and see if there is a change
is this making sense or ? :-)

Greetings from Bergen op Zoom, Netherlands