Author Topic: WC and Weather Underground  (Read 4030 times)

drewaz

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue, Mac OS Monterey
WC and Weather Underground
« on: April 17, 2019, 11:23:21 PM »
first off, sorry if the answer is in the wiki but this time, I did look   :)

I power down my computer at night and have it booted up during the day.
I just noticed that my overnight archived data populates into WC but doesn't get uploaded to WU.  Looks like it has been this way for months .....

Vantage Vue console with a logger that is working
Preferences > On-line > Wunderground PWS:  enable historical uploads is checked.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks, as always!
WU:  KAZPHOEN133

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: WC and Weather Underground
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 02:29:38 AM »
WU has a long history of bad behaviour and it's getting worse. The WC forum has several threads on the connections issues.

Here is a place to start: https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2673.15

As long as your WU password is short and simple (and I mean simple), to should work with WC. Our experiences lately have been that if it's not working, it's on the WU end, not in the WC uploads.
Blick

drewaz

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 02:34:09 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

For clarification:  the data uploads perfectly during the day when my computer is on.  The data collected over night on the logger does not upload so there is a 8-10 hour gap of information every day.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 10:20:40 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, as I did not understand it the first time. Out of curiosity, what is your current setting in WC | Tools | Station Hardware Options | Set DataLogger Interval ?
Blick

drewaz

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 10:36:22 PM »
same issue when set to either 1 or 5 minutes.  currently at 5 minutes.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 10:54:39 PM »
Assuming you also have Log Historical Uploads checked in WC Preferences for WU, and that log shows you are not uploading the historical records, it sounds to me like you have a corrupted WC Plist file. Do you happen to have a clean version of that file stashed somewhere (pre-upload problem forms several months ago)?
Blick

drewaz

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 11:28:37 PM »
I already have 'enable historical uploads' checked but didn't check to log them ...  I will do that now.

I just set up a new iMac fresh so the WC file is new as of a few days ago.  The issue was/is present on the old and new installations.

Thanks for your help!

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 11:57:50 PM »
Checking the box to log historical uploads will simply confirm you are not uploading after your morning restart, which you are already pretty sure, isn't happening. You should also check Log Sent Data while you are there. That way you'll get a log of all your WU uploads.

If you don't have a clean version of your WC Plist (preference file), you will need to to start over with a fresh one, so make sure you have documented all of your current WC preferences. The easiest way to do that is to take a screenshot of each WC preference window.

Here is how your get rid of your current plist file and replace it with a new one:
  • Quit WeatherCat
  • Go to your ~/Library/Preferences and move the com.trixology.weathercat.plist to the trash (where ~ = your home directory)
  • Empty the trash
  • Restart your Mac
  • Restart WeatherCat
  • Edit Weathercat Preferences to be how you want them
As soon as you have verified your preferences are as you want them and WC is now uploading historical data from your logger, DUPLICATE your com.Trixology.weathercat.plist file. This will give you a file called com.trixology.weathercat copy.plist. Just leave that copy file where it is. If you do this, the next time you have to flush your plist down the toilet, you still have to do the first 5 steps above but you can simply insert the following as Step #5 before you start WC:

5. Rename com.trixology.weathercat copy.plist to com.trixology.weathercat.plist

Then you won't need to do Step #6 ever again!
Blick

drewaz

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 02:05:39 AM »
I followed your advice and I think it solved the problem!  The screen shot shows the data is being uploaded.  I quit WC for a few hours and after restarting, the data from that interval seems to have made it to WU.  I'll see how it does in the morning after being powered down all night.

Thanks again ... I'll post in the morning if it's still a problem.

drewaz

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 01:48:07 AM »
After my iMac was shutdown all night, WC (per the log) uploaded all of the archived data to WU after I booted it this morning however it is not showing on the WU site.  It appears to be that the problem is on their side.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 04:52:17 AM »
I don't know if this will do you any good, but supposedly you can ask for help from WU here:

https://feedback.weather.com/?b_id=17298#request

There is also a forum where they invited suers users (I suppose you could sue them - after all. we live in a very litigious nation) to provide input. I haven't looked at it for a long time so I have no idea if this will help or not, but you can try:

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=33651.0

Let us know if you learn anything.
Blick

drewaz

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 12:20:54 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I had forgotten about wxforum ....  just posted in the WU area.  I'll report back if I find out anything useful.

drewaz

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 09:57:12 PM »
Follow up:  I get a response in the WX forum:  WU only accepts real time data.  I guess that answers my question.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
WOW! That's an unwelcome change . . . (Re: WC and Weather Underground)
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 11:46:28 PM »
Dear drewaz and WeatherCat faithful,

Follow up:  I get a response in the WX forum:  WU only accepts real time data.  I guess that answers my question.

Wow!!
  :o  That's definitely an amazing change of policy and presumably API.  :(  Was there any additional information included in the answer?  I just tried to dig up some sort of an announcement about it, but I couldn't find a search string that would do the trick.

Do tell us anything else you have learned on this one.

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard  :(

drewaz

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 12:38:08 AM »
"I think that WU accepts only real time weather data."

Short answer, no detail and maybe it isn't even true.
WC log says it's uploading my overnight archived data though but it doesn't ever show up on the site.