Author Topic: changing computer and upgrading  (Read 2191 times)

tony powell

• Calm
    • IBRETAGN92
  • Station Details: Aercus WS 3083 on a mac mini, located in Finistere, France
changing computer and upgrading
« on: April 03, 2018, 11:24:26 AM »
Hi,

I just swapped out my old mac mini for a newer one and downloaded version 3 of weather cat and paid the upgrade fee. It all works fine, but I would like to import the last 3 years of data from my old machine which was running version 2.44. Is this possible?

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: changing computer and upgrading
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 08:04:26 PM »
Hi Tony
 Go to your Users on your Hard Drive on your mac mini -then Library- then WeatherCatData then Location1-
It should Show you the Years of your data (2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 and so one go to 2018 file and open it
You will see 1_WeatherCatData.cat for January 2_WeatherCatData.cat for February 3_WeatherCatData for March also 1_WeatherCataData.cat.hrs and so one this is where the data is stored. You will need to quit Weatherat before doing this You Will Need to bring over the 1_WeatherCatData.cat 2 and 3 after you restart The Cat it should reproduce the WeatherCatData.cat.hrs for each month if it doesn't you might need to bring the over as but I don't think you will have to.
Hope this helps.

Cheers

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 09:35:07 PM »
I actually had some "...Data.cat" and "...Data.cat.hrs" files created yesterday. I think that indicates that I had connected the app to the Davis Console via the SiLabsUSBDriver64. However, there have been no new Data files created since those first two. I simply dragged the one I had been using in 10.12.x. [goofy]

It appears that 'drag-n-drop' is not effective to put it kindly (others can consider my actions not so kindly!). The point is, there is a version that came out this January, I'm sure I installed it on the old mini, but I probably did not do that on the current iMac, since it does not run WC and is not connected to the Davis hardware. So, dragging a rather old copy of the driver only worked long enough to choke WC. My bad... again...

Interesting...
The name/version/loaded of the driver that is on my iMac:
SiLabsUSBDriver64/3.0.0d1/No
The newly installed name/version/loaded on the new mini:
SiLabsUSBDriver/5.0.4/Yes

I had noticed that the 'drag-n-dropped' old driver (3.0.0d1) was also listed as not loaded. That's was my second clue that something was awry! Two bats against the head is usually enough to at least get my attention, even if it doesn't 'encourage' actions...
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Instructions on the Wiki. (Re: changing computer and upgrading)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 11:12:27 PM »
Dear Tony, Randall, X-Air and WeatherCat welcome wagon,

Since this is your first posting, welcome to the WeatherCat forum!

I just swapped out my old mac mini for a newer one and downloaded version 3 of weather cat and paid the upgrade fee. It all works fine, but I would like to import the last 3 years of data from my old machine which was running version 2.44. Is this possible?

Actually, it is best to have moved all your old files and WeatherCat 2.44 before upgrading to WeatherCat 3.  Which weather station do you have?  If it has a data logger that would be the better solution.  Simply migrate all your old WeatherCat 2.44 files over to your new Mac (overwriting what WeatherCat 3 had created.)  We have instructions on which files to move over on the WeatherCat wiki:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Moving_a_WeatherCat_installation_from_one_computer_to_another

Once you have WeatherCat 2.44 working, upgrade to WeatherCat 3.

If your weather station doesn't have a data logger than what Randall and X-Air have suggested will also work, but it is more of a hassle.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 11:30:24 PM »
My apologies, Mr. Powell, I didn't even notice your newness! So...
Welcome AboaRd, Tony! You've already proven that this place is full of helpful people! Thanks!

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 11:37:38 PM »
Hi Tony
 Edouard is right I had forgot about the wiki page  [banghead]

cheers

tony powell

• Calm
    • IBRETAGN92
  • Station Details: Aercus WS 3083 on a mac mini, located in Finistere, France
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 11:51:35 AM »
Thanks everyone, I have a fine offset WH 3080 (Solar/UV), which has been running for over 3 years. I am based in Brittany, France and first started doing weather reporting as a 16 year old on weather reporting UK Merchant Navy ships. Much easier now.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 02:40:46 PM »
My wife and I will be on a boat on the Danube in July! Grab a kayak and we'll treat you to a meal! [lol]

In other WC news, I connected the video-less mini to our Ethernet network and transferred 98% of the WC 2.4.4 and web site files to the new one. Naturally, WC realized there was historical data on the data logger and then started up perfectly! I'll upgrade to WC3 as soon as I have time. Thanks for the hand-holding!

And, thanks to the new MP4 movie format, I can not bother loading at least three daemons and one format converter app! ThU5:-)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome! (Re: changing computer and upgrading)
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 11:21:36 PM »
Dear Randall, Tony, X-Air, and WeatherCat faithful,

Thanks everyone, I have a fine offset WH 3080 (Solar/UV), which has been running for over 3 years. I am based in Brittany, France and first started doing weather reporting as a 16 year old on weather reporting UK Merchant Navy ships. Much easier now.

We are certainly pleased to have you "on board" so to speak!  :)  I'm glad that your Fine Offset has served you so well.  They are certainly tough little stations for the price you pay for them.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]