Author Topic: Cannot Connect  (Read 17841 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Cannot Connect
« on: February 24, 2015, 07:04:38 PM »
Grand:

All of sudden I am no longer able to connect via dyndns or directly to my static IP address either from my iPhone or iPad. I had the phone company out today and they verified they are not blocking any ports and the Internet is running fine. The ports are being forwarded correctly. The desktop WeatherCat client works. I have shut down my router for 5 minutes and brought it back up again. I have rebooted WeatherCat and verified that the WeatherCat server is running on port 49254. I don't know what else to try.

Any ideas?
Blick

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
Re: Cannot Connect
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 07:30:04 PM »
There are a few things that you can check although I suspect you've already done this:

Change the settings on your iOS device to "Local" to verify that you can get any data.
Change the settings on your iOS device to the trixology-test address to verify that you can get data over the Internet.
Inspect the router administration page to verify that a private fixed IP address is still assigned to your host computer.
Inspect the host computer Network settings panel to verify that the private fixed IP address is being used.
Inspect the router settings to verify that the port range 49250 to 49254 is assigned the the private fixed IP address.
Wave 3 stalks of daffodils over your iOS device and say "Spring to life and bring me data!" three times.

Okay, may the last suggestion is a little far out, but I hope it made you smile. A smile can help. :)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 09:02:36 PM »
Ha ha! Thanks for the laugh; I needed it.

Alas, I have already done all of those things. I know the port forwarding is working because the WeatherCat OS X client works. The static IP address is working for other applications that use it. The internal IP address assigned to the iMac running WeatherCat is correctly assigned.

I have tried everything I can think of except the daffodils and they are in short supply during the winter.

It appears that something internal is blocking the IOS client from seeing its target. If anyone can think of anything else, please let me know.
Blick

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 10:18:14 PM »
Can you connect OK to trixology-test.dyndns.org? If that's fine, it's likely something internal to your network.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 04:43:11 AM »
Can you connect OK to trixology-test.dyndns.org? If that's fine, it's likely something internal to your network.

Yes, I can get the your test site fine. The puzzling thing is that the static IP is working great for other applications and the WeatherCat client is working find as well, which means, as you say, something in my internal network is wonky and I cannot figure out what it is!
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 07:16:57 AM »
Well, I ran out of ideas. So in desperation I deleted the WeatherCat iOS app, reinstalled it and it works like a champion. So now I am a certified WeatherCat iOS app expert.  :)
Blick

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 01:55:41 AM »
Deleting and app from iOS is, actually, a fairly common recommendation for solving app problems. There isn't much else one can do within iOS; it is pretty tightly "sealed" though I have heard that the determined can work their way into the inner workings of iOS. Glad your problem is resolved.

kmatley

• Calm
  • Station Details: Vantage pro II, Dedicated Mac Mini
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 04:51:23 AM »
I've had this same problem for a couple of months now. Local works fine, trixology-test works fine, my own ip does not work. This is after using WeatherCat without difficulty since its initial release. I've deleted the port forwarding entry on my router and redone it from scratch without any success. I've also tried all the other suggestions given here, except the daffodils, because I don't want to get caught picking my neighbor's flowers. WeatherCat either endlessly continues, "checking the connection..." or hangs entirely and I have to  force quit it. Uninstalling and reinstalling WeatherCat will usually give me at least one clean connection before the problem resumes, but tonight even that won't work. This might have started about the time that we had a power failure and I got a new IP address when the modem reconnected, but usually when this happens, I just plug in the new address and everything is fine. I'm at a complete loss....

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 07:18:07 AM »
First of all, welcome to the forum kmatley. And we are in the same boat. Deleting and reinstalling the iOS app gave me an Internet connection for about a day and now I am back to no connection. I tried again to delete it and reinstall. This time that did nothing. There is obviously something in the local network preventing the iOS app from connecting but for the life of me, I cannot figure out what it is. The iOS apps worked flawlessly for me for a long time and I have not changed anything in my network setup. Frustrating ins't it?
Blick

kmatley

• Calm
  • Station Details: Vantage pro II, Dedicated Mac Mini
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 04:46:02 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. I've been a lurker for a long, long time so it surprised me to see that I've only now just made my first post.

Another twist. After my last reinstall of WeatherCat, I've found that if I click the home button to close the WeatherCat window while it is in its checking settings hang, when I return to the app it gives me readings, but the readings I get are those of the trixology-test site, not mine, even though the network setting has my address selected.

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 07:57:02 PM »
The iOS apps worked flawlessly for me for a long time and I have not changed anything in my network setup. Frustrating ins't it?

This is frustratingly mysterious as the iOS network connection code has been unchanged for the past two releases. What about DynDNS. Could that be the culprit?

It would be helpful, as a test, if someone could try to "connect" to your server using one of the iOS apps from outside your network. Has that been tried?

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 08:08:49 PM »
Another twist. After my last reinstall of WeatherCat, I've found that if I click the home button to close the WeatherCat window while it is in its checking settings hang, when I return to the app it gives me readings, but the readings I get are those of the trixology-test site, not mine, even though the network setting has my address selected.

Here's another one: If I change the URL for the Internet connection to something totally bogus and return from Settings, I get a "Checking..." message. Then, while the "Checking..." message is showing, I press the Home button to return to the Home screen and tap WeatherCat again. The "Checking..." message goes away and is replaced by, get this, a valid and current set of readings for the original URL. It will continue to update periodically as if the URL was correct. Feature or bug? (Don't-cha just love this stuff? It's almost as good as an Inspector Rebus mystery.)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 12:08:07 AM »
What about DynDNS. Could that be the culprit?

No, because every other app I use that goes through dyndns.org works fine. Also, in my WeatherCat iOS app I have now replaced the dyndns entry with my static IP address and it still won't connect.
Blick

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 07:21:33 AM »
Have you tried a restart of the iPhone?

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 07:49:02 AM »
Just tried a restart of the iPhone. Alas, no joy.  :(
Blick