Author Topic: High Sierra Support  (Read 7194 times)

mikegf

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW4257
    • INSWYASS5
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Pro, Macstudio M2U, MacOS 14.0
High Sierra Support
« on: August 24, 2017, 01:56:29 AM »
Hi Guys,

Probably getting a little ahead of myself here, but I noticed that WeatherCat is pretty much the only 32 bit app I am regularly running.  With High Sierra out next month (supposedly - officially just northern Fall) and it (supposedly) removing 32 bit app support, is there a timeline for a WeatherCat update?

I am very sensitive to this noting that it is a similar issue to IOS 11 (also going 64 but only), for which I have a couple of very useful apps that are still 32 bit (and looking unlikely to be updated - leaving me in a bit of a predicament).

Mike

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: High Sierra Support
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 01:59:51 AM »
I think High Sierra (10.13) is the last version that will still support 32 bit apps. It will be whatever comes after HS (10.14?) that will require 64 bit apps. Butt, i,ve ben rong befour!  [lol]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 11:14:08 AM »
Yep, X-Air is correct. You'll be good for one more year but Stu needs to get cracking and testing. The handwriting is on the wall, iOS 11 will drop 32-bit support this year.

Another program I've been keeping an eye on is SuperDuper which I run nightly on schedule. It's still 32-bit as well.

awilltx

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 11:35:58 AM »
Another program I've been keeping an eye on is SuperDuper which I run nightly on schedule. It's still 32-bit as well.

Yep. I was a former SuperDuper user and switched over to Carbon Copy Cloner. The developers currently have a v5 beta for High Sierra testing with the new file system. It is just as good as SD and seems to be a little more modern interface.

Alan

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 12:20:39 PM »
Bombich is ahead of Nanian thus far with regard to APFS. The only way to use SuperDuper with High Sierra at this point of the beta is to install without converting to APFS (in other words, load 10.13 but stay with HFS+) which kind of defeats the purpose of loading/testing the beta.

Presumably, everyone is running 10.13 on a partition so it's not the end of the world if it's not backed up. Unless you're a developer I suppose.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 03:13:32 PM »
It has been a long time since we switched from 16 to 32 bit applications. I forget if there's an easy way to see what all of my current applications are. Suggestions?

[EDIT] Answered my own question...

https://www.macobserver.com/tips/how-to/macos-find-32-bit-apps/

I have a surprisingly long list of applications that are not 64 bit. I'm sure most will be addressed in the next year, but not applications like EvoCam, Quicktime 7, old Skitch, iDVD, old iMovie, and more abandoned applications.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

TechnoMonkey

• Strong Breeze
    • EW9323
    • KTXARANS6
    • TechnoMonkeys Weather
  • Station Details: La Crosse WS-2315 / High Sierra Server / Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8GB Ram / OS 120GB SSD / Home Folder 500GB FireWire / DATA 8TB RAID 5 / 1TB TIME CAPSULE
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 09:30:33 PM »
Setup the new OS on a new partition.  Need the old programs, just reboot into the old OS.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Stu's strategy and 32 bit apps. (Re: High Sierra Support)
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 11:06:06 PM »
Dear Mike, X-Air, Felix, Alan, Steve, TechnoMonkey, and WeatherCat sys-admins,

Probably getting a little ahead of myself here, but I noticed that WeatherCat is pretty much the only 32 bit app I am regularly running.  With High Sierra out next month (supposedly - officially just northern Fall) and it (supposedly) removing 32 bit app support, is there a timeline for a WeatherCat update?

As others have noted there is no crisis for WeatherCat.  However, as a rule Stu starts monkeying with a new operating system at some point in the beta process to see what might need changing.  Still, he might not support High Sierra immediately.  There is still a bug that Apple hasn't fixed that is impeding some folks from upgrading to Sierra.  Stu might encourage us to wait a bit so that the dust can settle before jumping on this upgrade.

[EDIT] Answered my own question...

https://www.macobserver.com/tips/how-to/macos-find-32-bit-apps/

I have a surprisingly long list of applications that are not 64 bit. I'm sure most will be addressed in the next year, but not applications like EvoCam, Quicktime 7, old Skitch, iDVD, old iMovie, and more abandoned applications.

Thanks for pointing this out!  You saved me some searching! 

This is an interesting procedure.  It showed me that I have a lot of old junk applications to get rid of!  ::)

It turns out there is more of a list of applications that I use that are also 32-bit than I realized.  Alas Spell Catcher is included which has not been supported since the untimely death of its creator.  Oh well, a year is a long time, we'll see.  ;)  Besides, perhaps the second coming will finally happen and promptly end all this nonsense that is happening all over the world!!  ;D

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 03:38:57 AM »
Thanks for the post Steve. Helpful in the cleanup process that needs to occur prior to switchover, whenever that may occur. The National Weather Service have been trying to switch to https (and other last century improvements) for most of this year and can't seem to figure that out so a little caution for High Sierra is a good idea.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 03:05:46 PM »
Setup the new OS on a new partition.  Need the old programs, just reboot into the old OS.

That would be fine, except EvoCam runs 24 hours a day to support my weather station, and has been killed off, so no update coming. And I use old Skitch daily, because new Skitch does not let me save and use images to my own server. So those are irreplaceable as of now.

A question for those of you using EvoCam 5; Is it still 32 bit, too, or was it updated before ceasing development?
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Hugh Whalen

• Gentle Breeze
    • INBFLOWE2
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 with UV and Solar sensors. 2017 27" iMac, 3.5 GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 07:38:04 PM »
I don't remember where I got it but see below.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 03:48:17 PM »
Thanks Hugh! Now to see if there's somewhere to buy the update from 3.7.6 to 5.X that hasn't pulled it from their archives...
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 04:06:55 PM »
Can't vouch for either of these download sites (I don't use any sites other than a developers site now-a-day!).

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 08:16:47 PM »
Can't vouch for either of these download sites (I don't use any sites other than a developers site now-a-day!).

Thanks, but I already have the application. It is being able to register it that's the problem. The developer's page is gone, so there doesn't seem to be a way to register the application.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 09:24:08 PM »
The developer's page is gone, so there doesn't seem to be a way to register the application.
Have you tried setting your Mac's clock back a few years? And then there is the Interweb Wayback Machine (shades of Bullwinkle!).