Author Topic: High Sierra issues  (Read 5226 times)

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
High Sierra issues
« on: September 27, 2017, 11:51:02 AM »
Hi there-
Upgraded last night to High Sierra and I have had a couple of Weathercat woes.
I had a couple of crashes - and at night Weathercat crashed and failed to restart (I had the restart checked in Misc 1). I restarted the program this morning and all looks well except my video camera isn't uploading the new images. I can see a video preview in the Webcam tab and can set the camera with correct time and all, but when I then go to my webpage, the old image is there and despite refresh doesn't show the newest image.  I'll look in the files to see if that's changing but thought it worth a mention...
Bill

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
Re: High Sierra issues
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 12:31:14 PM »
Hi all,
Just checked the same weather page on Firefox instead of Safari, and all is well with the webcam. Turns out despite refreshing the page, Safari wasn't reloading the new image.
One mystery solved anyway...by the way - to do a hard reset of cache in Safari 11 you can hit Cmd+Opt+E. This restored the Safari ability to see my new webcam image when I refresh the page...
Bill

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 01:15:01 AM »
I am not using High Sierra yet but I can confirm the most recent release of Safari does not refresh webcam images or the WeatherCat banner. Instead, it caches them. The only way I have been able to get it to refresh is to delete the last hour of history in Safari preferences; doing this will cause it to reload the latest.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 01:21:40 PM »
If you have a separate web page for the camera, try using a forced page relaid in the <head><meta> area. I can't remember the exact code but it is basically adding a specific URL to the same page rather than just a plain reload commas.

Use the Full URL?

Again, it's possible that a page using the methods shown above can get cached and can stop reloading from the server. A Webmaster friend told me that if you simply set up a link to the current page but use the entire URL, the page would always reload from the server because the request starts at the domain. For example, if your web cam is at:
http://www.yourWebSite.com/yourWebCameraPage.html
 Just use that full URL in each of the elements above, you'll lessen the chance the page will cache. Thus, the Meta Refresh would become:
<META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="5; URL=http://www.yourWebSite.com/yourWebCameraPage.html">

[ no JavaScript needed! ] The trick is to use the full URL address so that the process starts at the very beginning.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 12:04:57 PM »
Hi all-

I am using the Sea Monkey template and tried the tip xairbusdriver gave it works to make Safari reload the page with my webcam appropriately.

To go through his solution as I implemented it in this template:
My webcam is on a page within the template, in my case under the "station" tab.
In each link in my title bars -so on the home page for my weather station under my title graphic (which is a static image) and within the links - I changed the actual link to the Station page. To do this, I simply replaced the line that read:
onclick="location.href='station.html'"
with
onclick="location.href='http://www.billcurry.ca/station.html'"

This now brings up a refreshed page - and includes a refreshed webcam image without the user having to do a cache dump/reset.

The solution has some success, as in it seems to work sometimes, but if you return to the page after a new image should have come up and even if you refresh, the old image still stays. Clearing the cache and reloading brings up the new image. A pain, as most folks won't know to do/how to do that.
Hmmm... seems Safari 11 is a bit too aggressive in the cache department!

Bill

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 01:39:33 PM »
I don't remember where I found it and it may be a "default set" command sent via Terminal, but you can set your cache to just about any value you want. I set mine to zero as I was making/testing my site. I'm near Prague right now and I can't check my Mac. ;(

In the code you edited, you can also set the number of seconds for the page to 'auto' refresh. Since my vids only get updated once an hour I'm not sure I even bothered.

Hope that helps.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 03:02:01 PM »
High Sierra bricked my mid-2011 iMac yesterday. This turned out to be somewhat a common complaint with this particular model. I backed up from my CCC archive, and only lost a day's worth of stuff.

If I recall, this is only the second time in 24 years of using a Mac that an upgrade hasn't gone smoothly. And this is the sixth major upgrade on this particular machine with never a fresh OS install, so I'm not complaining.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Xipper

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW1914
    • KORPORTL202
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 01:27:43 AM »
Multiple times per day mine stops reading data from the weather station and stops uploading it, if I can actually get the "not responding" app to bring the windows forward it has the hovering transfer window showing it is trying to load historical data from the weather station and it just sits there....if I force quit and open, it sometimes just does the same thing.  Oddly, once I get it to elevate as the app with focus it eventually resolves itself.  I also have a flood of "Month 13 is out of bounds" errors in the system logs.

The strange part is that it was "fine" for a while, and then it started this problem yesterday and now repeats itself multiple times a day.  I tried installing the supplemental fix to if it would help, it didn't. 

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Have the latest Silicon Labs driver? (Re: High Sierra issues)
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 11:36:13 PM »
Dear Xipper and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Multiple times per day mine stops reading data from the weather station and stops uploading it . . . .

Have you installed the latest driver from Silicon Labs?  It is described in this thread:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2550.0

Earlier drivers are not likely to work and could misbehave as you describe.

Cheers, Edouard

Xipper

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW1914
    • KORPORTL202
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro
Re: Have the latest Silicon Labs driver? (Re: High Sierra issues)
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 12:28:11 AM »

Multiple times per day mine stops reading data from the weather station and stops uploading it . . . .

Have you installed the latest driver from Silicon Labs?  It is described in this thread:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2550.0

Earlier drivers are not likely to work and could misbehave as you describe.

Cheers, Edouard

Thanks, but I did the day I upgraded to High Sierra.  I even checked for updates when this problem crept up, however I have Kext Version: 5.0.1 which is the latest available.

Just installed WeatherCat 2.4.3 in hopes that it helps fix this issue.

I do wonder which driver is actually being used, since I have a Wacom tablet their installer adds a CP210x driver as well:
SiLabsUSBDriver64:

Version:   3.0.0d1
  Last Modified:   8/11/17, 10:03 AM
  Bundle ID:   com.silabs.driver.CP210xVCPDriver64
  Loaded:   Yes
  Obtained from:   Identified Developer
  Kind:   Intel
  Architectures:   x86_64
  64-Bit (Intel):   Yes
  Kext Version:   3.0.0d1
  Load Address:   18446743521844800000
  Loadable:   Yes
  Dependencies:   Satisfied
  Signed by:   Developer ID Application: Wacom Technology Corp. (EG27766DY7), Developer ID Certification Authority, Apple Root CA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Silicon Labs driver conflict? (Re: High Sierra issues)
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 12:25:02 AM »

I do wonder which driver is actually being used, since I have a Wacom tablet their installer adds a CP210x driver as well:

Well if the version number of the Wacom tablet is the same as the Silicon labs version, then that driver is two major releases out of date.  If WeatherCat is using that driver, that could easily be your problem.  Could you remove the Wacom driver temporarily and see if that's the problem?

Cheers, Edouard

tizza

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue with no extras, MBPr late 2012
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 03:18:47 AM »
Hi kidz, FYI, I don?t have a webcam and don?t have my station live, anyhoo I had WC v2.4.2 working on mac high sierra fine for 3 days and just upgraded to WC v2.4.3 today the 18th Oct. It?s also running fine, I?ve found the SilLabs March 24, 2017 the most stable driver for me. rMBP mid 2012, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, boosted 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
Preparing for summer downunder it?s been 35?c for the last 3 days 95f already. That?s VERY hot for where I live at this time of year!   
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Davis Vantage Vue, MBPr late 2012.
I'm a photographer and have a photography website if you're interested.
http://www.mixed-up-pix.smugmug.com

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Hello again! (Re: High Sierra issues)
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 10:00:07 PM »
Dear tizza and WeatherCat users from all over the world,

Nice to have you posting once more!  :)  We haven't had any of Southern Hemisphere users posting much in a while.  Nice to have your perspective on da' Earth.

Hi kidz, FYI, I don?t have a webcam and don?t have my station live, anyhoo I had WC v2.4.2 working on mac high sierra fine for 3 days and just upgraded to WC v2.4.3 today the 18th Oct. It?s also running fine, I?ve found the SilLabs March 24, 2017 the most stable driver for me. rMBP mid 2012, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, boosted 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

Glad you are humming along on the latest version of macOS.

Preparing for summer downunder it?s been 35?c for the last 3 days 95f already. That?s VERY hot for where I live at this time of year!

I do hope you have adequate air conditioning!  That does sound very warm for early Spring.  I hope it is completely unrelated but we are having an unusually hot Autumn in Northern California.  A high pressure ridge in the Eastern Pacific continues to keep the air above us unusually warm for this time of year.  I'm definitely getting a little weary of all this heat!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

SeanA

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW3381
    • INLANARK2
    • northlanarkshireweather.co.uk
  • Station Details: Davis Instruments Vantage VUE /MAC MINI/WeatherCat
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 09:52:48 PM »
Updated to high sierra 10.13.1, and now cant get twitter to work (WeatherCat 2.4.4). Account details correct, deleted account and re-added... nothing. Restored mac to the pervious version of sierra and all worked fine. So upgraded again with the same thing, noooo tweets... so I guess  Sylvester is not liking twitter or twitter is not liking Sylvester or neither likes high sierra. Pretty sure i started today with a full head of hair now i can do a great kojak... up for any ideas??

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 10:24:50 PM »
As reported in another thread, Apple has broken Twitter access by most apps.