Author Topic: WoW reports not being acknowledged  (Read 3601 times)

acw342

• Gentle Breeze
    • ICODOWNB3
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue Weather Cat v1.2.4, intel i7 iMac, 2TB SSD/HDD, 48Gb RAM. Reporting to UK Met Office WoW program.
WoW reports not being acknowledged
« on: April 06, 2014, 07:09:38 PM »
I've searched the forum but cannot find any info/help for my problem. I recently checked my WoW account and discovered that the last report was late 2013. According to WC I am sending reports but the system is saying "Acknowledgements:0, Response Time:34.48(Av:0.00), Success Rate: 0.00%, Bytes Sent: 58.71KB, Current status: server busy/unavailable" Since restarting the reports I have (supposedly) sent 201 reports. Anybody got any suggestions as to possible finger trouble on my behalf?http://athena.trixology.com/Smileys/default/embarrassed.gif

Davis Vantage Vue
i5 iMac
Hispeed fibre connection

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Screenshots? - logging? (Re: WoW reports not being acknowledged)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 11:28:47 PM »
Dear ACW342 and WeatherCat fans,

Apologies that trouble brings you the WeatherCat forum for the first time, but nonetheless. . . .

Welcome to the WeatherCat forum!

I've searched the forum but cannot find any info/help for my problem. I recently checked my WoW account and discovered that the last report was late 2013. According to WC I am sending reports but the system is saying "Acknowledgements:0, Response Time:34.48(Av:0.00), Success Rate: 0.00%, Bytes Sent: 58.71KB, Current status: server busy/unavailable" Since restarting the reports I have (supposedly) sent 201 reports. Anybody got any suggestions as to possible finger trouble on my behalf?

Could you take a screenshot of your WeatherCat Met Office WoW plug-in window to help you see what might be going on?  It should look like this:

If you've never taken a screenshot before here are the instructions from Apple:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5775

The other thing to try is to turn on logging as noted in the screenshot above.  That will place a copy of the string sent to Met Office into the Console logs.  You can then use the Console Application to take a look at what is being sent and share it with us.

If you take the text:

MetOffice

Into the Filter (search) window that will show you all the strings WeatherCat has uploaded to Met Office that are visible in the Console window.

Hope that's enough to at least help you start troubleshooting.  Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: WoW reports not being acknowledged
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 05:28:58 AM »
One other question. Your profile states that you are running WeatherCat 1.015. The current version is 1.24. Are you really running that old version? If so, try updating WeatherCat; a lot of improvements have been implemented.
Blick

acw342

• Gentle Breeze
    • ICODOWNB3
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue Weather Cat v1.2.4, intel i7 iMac, 2TB SSD/HDD, 48Gb RAM. Reporting to UK Met Office WoW program.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 07:41:52 PM »
Eduard, Blic,
                  Many thanks for the replies. Blic, I have edited my profile to show that yes, I am using WC v1.2.4. I have attached the screenshot i have taken, as Eduard has suggested. However, you will note that there were only 4 reports sent at the time that I took the screenshot. this is because over the past several days i have been getting messages from WC, and confirmed by Wunderground that WC has lost comms with the station and that I might have to restart the computer to restart comms. Often closing and re-opening WC has the desired effect but at other times I have had to restart the computer. The Vantage Vue (VV)is receiving from the ISS ok and the VV console itself is displaying what i consider to be valid information. The Mac Console is currently showing valid uploads to both WoW (but still no acknowledgements) and historical data to Wunderground covering the outage period 16:40 - 18:00 BST. I would appreciate anyones thoughts on the matter.

Regards

Mike

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Network issues? (Re: WoW reports not being acknowledged)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 08:45:21 PM »
Dear Mike, Blick, and WeatherCat fans,

Hmm, . . . definitely odd that you would be having problems like this.  Just in case, why don't you try downloading WhatRoute:

http://www.whatroute.net/

It is a tool to check how well you can reach another location on the Internet.  Then enter the following hostname:

wow.metoffice.gov.uk

Normally, it should be very fast to connect to a host.  If you are seeing that it takes a long time, perhaps your Internet Service provider has problems reaching the Met Office WoW site.  As a check you might compare how long it takes to reach wow.metoffice.gov.uk compared to popular sites like Google.  It seems really unlikely, but it is worth a quick check to see if that's the problem.  Given that nobody else is having problems submitting to WoW, it is most likely a local problem.  Even from California, it takes a long time for packets to reach Met Office, but they to arrive without data loss.

Let us know what you find out.

acw342

• Gentle Breeze
    • ICODOWNB3
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 06:16:32 PM »
Thanks to all for your replies. My problem was twofold.
1. No acknowledgement from WoW.
2. WC losing comms with the station.
 After a short discussion with the met office, number one is most likely finger trouble on my behalf. I have closed the two accounts (one I didn't know about!!?) and I will then try to set up a new account on WoW.

As for constantly losing comms with the station, re-installation of OSX mavericks appears to have cured that problem. 30+ hours and no report of lost comms.

Again, many thanks

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Glad things seem to be working (Re: WoW reports not being acknowledged)
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 10:30:59 PM »
Dear ACW342 and WeatherCat fans,

Glad that you seem to be back in business after that struggle.  If you discover anything in your troubleshooting that could happen to someone else, please do share it with the forum.  That way we have a fighting chance should this sort of odd-ball situation ever happens again!

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 10:38:32 PM »
30+ hours and no report of lost comms.

Good news! Glad you are up and running.
Blick

Bluesky51

• Calm
    • Narrywoolan*
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2. iMac 2017, OSX 12.2
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 03:31:14 AM »
Mike I'm not sure if this could also be part of your problem or not but I thought the Site ID in the WC MetOfficeWOW window should be the 9 digit number not the Site name. See the details of my site in the attached for an explanation.

Noel