Author Topic: Weatherlink Live--Anyone know about this and WC?  (Read 8974 times)

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus With FARS, Solar and UV sensors, MAC 27 in. Retina, WeatherCat vers. 3.05 build 27
Weatherlink Live--Anyone know about this and WC?
« on: April 22, 2019, 11:19:28 AM »
So, being the eternal geek and Weathercatter, I was wondering if anyone knows if this could be used as an adjunct or new way to get info to Weathercat?
I see it is wireless, and with an impending move on my part, I was considering it so that the placement of the console versus the Vantage Pro 2Plus (which might end up on the roof)
would not be an issue.

Any suggestions, input or information as to its compatibility or other such addons would be appreciated!

https://www.davisinstruments.com/weatherlinklive/

Jenna

mcrossley

• Gale
  • Sorry, I'm not a WeatherCat user!
    • ICHESHIR25
    • Wilmslow Astro Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 + home brew
Re: Weatherlink Live--Anyone know about this and WC?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 12:18:08 PM »
Davis have not published an API for this device yet. The WLL is a very interesting device, but though it will be available soon, Davis have said the API will not be available until "summer" - which normally means "end of"!
Mark

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus With FARS, Solar and UV sensors, MAC 27 in. Retina, WeatherCat vers. 3.05 build 27
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 12:44:48 PM »
HI Mark and thank you for the reply:

I just received an email dated the 18th that the Weatherlink Live is available.  That link I posted shows the price at $250.00.
If the API is not available and as you correctly indicate, Davis is well known for dragging heels with new tech; that makes this a no-go for me
at this time.

Many thanks! 

Jenna

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
WiFi Data Logger available. (Re: Weatherlink Live . . . )
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 12:14:48 AM »
Dear Jenna, Mark, Weatheraardvark and WeatherCat gadget junkies, . . .

So, being the eternal geek and Weathercatter, I was wondering if anyone knows if this could be used as an adjunct or new way to get info to Weathercat?

Okay perhaps I'm confused, but but I don't see much here that would be interesting with respect to WeatherCat.  WeatherLink Live does provide faster data uploads.  Does anybody really need wind speed updates that frequently?  All the other data is already accessed via the existing protocols and the data doesn't change very fast.

I see it is wireless, and with an impending move on my part, I was considering it so that the placement of the console versus the Vantage Pro 2Plus (which might end up on the roof)
would not be an issue.

You could get data wirelessly to WeatherCat if you use the WiFi data logger for your Davis Console that was mentioned on this thread:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2830.msg28568#msg28568

Here is a link with more information about the data logger:

https://www.weatherstations.co.uk/wifi-logger.htm

Here is a link to where you can buy this data logger in the United States:

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/wifilogger/

So you could switch to getting data to WeatherCat via your WiFi network without purchasing WeatherLink Live.  You might still want it for the other functionality it provides, but as far as I can tell, you could run both your Console and the WiFi data logger and Weatherlink LIve.

Can you tell us more about what you want to use WeatherLink Live for?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

mcrossley

• Gale
  • Sorry, I'm not a WeatherCat user!
    • ICHESHIR25
    • Wilmslow Astro Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 + home brew
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 08:35:39 AM »
My use case...
Quite a few users would like to have their solar & UV sensors up high away from shading. But the console limits these sensors to being connected to the ISS, which measures your temperature and rainfall and needs to be low down.
I have a separate wind transmitter to allow my Anny to be mounted above my roofline.

To solve this I have moved my solar & UV sensors to my wind transmitter, and created my own Davis receiver that receives the data from both transmitters combines it and retransmits it as if it was coming from a single ISS for the console to receive.

The WLL will allow anyone to do this without having to create their own transceiver.

Want an additional T/H sensor in your garage/pool/tree house? Or a second wind sensor on the other side of your property or a different height? Again WLL makes it easy.
Mark

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
Re: WiFi Data Logger available. (Re: Weatherlink Live . . . )
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 09:23:38 AM »

So you could switch to getting data to WeatherCat via your WiFi network without purchasing WeatherLink Live.  You might still want it for the other functionality it provides, but as far as I can tell, you could run both your Console and the WiFi data logger and Weatherlink LIve.

Can you tell us more about what you want to use WeatherLink Live for?

My needs are multiple:
Move console away from MAC and ISS
Not depend on MAC always being on
Add additional sensors

I have considered Weatherbridge, WifiLogger, Meteobridge Pro or Nano and now the Davis offering. Each has its pros and cons; meaning I have not bought any of them.

If someone could say to me...THIS WILL FILL YOUR NEEDS...I would walk over them to order. But, that said--this setup now is working flawlessly, and I hate the thought of messing with what works.

Jenna

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 10:35:00 AM »
I've been keeping an eye on the following WXForum thread concerning the new Davis WLL after the original post a few months ago indicated WeatherLink IP was going bye bye:

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35919.0

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
What additional sensors? (Re: Weatherlink Live . . . )
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 11:45:54 PM »
Dear Jenna, Felix, and WeatherCat technocrats,

[wink] . . . Well now, since you are unsure, let me further confuse you with more options! . . .  lol(1)

Seriously, can you explain more what are your motivations?

Move console away from MAC and ISS

Why do you want to relocate your console?  It is to simply be able to view it in a more convenient spot in the house?  There are potentially two alternative tricks you could consider.  You could simply buy an additional console.  Your ISS can drive an unlimited number of consoles or Envoys.  Even this comes with two options.  Depending on the information you want displayed, you could simply buy a Vantage Vue console which is less expensive.  I've thought about this option because we have a two story house and frequently I'm downstairs and want to simply know how hot it is.

Another way to move your console is to buy a Weather Envoy and put that next to your computer.  That's what I have now.  There is potential advantage that I recently realized.  The Weather Envoy has an internal thermometer like the console.  By having an Weather Envoy next to you computer, you can make sure your computer room isn't getting too hot for your computers.

Why don't you want to keep your computer on 24/7?  Is it energy savings or something else?  Macs have gotten a lot more thrifty lately, so you might not be saving a lot of energy by turning it off.  Also, Macs still run a variation of UNIX and there are scripts that run overnight.  So if you can keep your Mac going, it is a tiny bit more healthy for the computer.  If that's not the reason, could you explain?

Add additional sensors

Which sensors are you thinking about?  Additional temperature/humidity probes or are you thinking about the soil and leaf probes to improve your gardening?

I have considered Weatherbridge, WifiLogger, Meteobridge Pro or Nano and now the Davis offering. Each has its pros and cons; meaning I have not bought any of them.

I'm not sure we can really help you with this decision either, but we are moderately diverse community and some of us have a comprehensive Davis setup with examples of all of their various sensors.  You might get some more helpful advice once we have a better idea of how you want to use your Davis station.

P.S. Also keep in mind that Davis hardware (particularly older hardware) is heavily discounted.  So buying something like a Weather Envoy may not be as expensive as first imagined.

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
Re: What additional sensors? (Re: Weatherlink Live . . . )
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 12:02:46 PM »

Seriously, can you explain more what are your motivations?

As best as I can...here are the reasons in more depth:

Why do you want to relocate your console?  It is to simply be able to view it in a more convenient spot in the house?

To have the information follow me rather than I follow the information.  Buying an additional (or possibly even 2) consoles seems to be a doable action.

Why don't you want to keep your computer on 24/7?  Is it energy savings or something else?  Macs have gotten a lot more thrifty lately, so you might not be saving a lot of energy by turning it off.  Also, Macs still run a variation of UNIX and there are scripts that run overnight.  So if you can keep your Mac going, it is a tiny bit more healthy for the computer.  If that's not the reason, could you explain?

See? I always learn something when I post here. My reasoning was less energy and less wear/tear on the Mac. If it appears there is no REAL benefit to doing so? That comes off the list.

Which sensors are you thinking about?  Additional temperature/humidity probes or are you thinking about the soil and leaf probes to improve your gardening?

Additional temperature sensors for other parts of the house; this is a 3 story townhome we are buying and I would like to be as energy-efficient as possible with heating.  I may want to add soil probes at a later time. However, I will admit these options are less appealing IF the only way it can be done is to buy this Davis item.

At this moment I am leaning towards the Wifi Logger. Better support, better usage ability and cost is lower. My fear with the Davis offering is sometimes bleeding edge is my blood. Would rather wait until API is available and compatible with WeatherCat and many of the startup issues are worked out.

Edouard, As always...a good forum buddy! Many thanks to you.  [cheers1]

Jenna

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Caution prudent and Alexa? (Re: Weatherlink Live . . . )
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 10:43:04 PM »
Dear Jenna and WeatherCat faithful,

To have the information follow me rather than I follow the information.  Buying an additional (or possibly even 2) consoles seems to be a doable action.

That would be my preference as well and I might well spring for another console one of these days.  The alternative would be to use your iPhone as a mobile device to keep track of station data.  However, that means lugging your phone around the house and potentially putting it at risk.  When I'm working in the yard I prefer to not even carry a watch (because I broke one once) and instead be able to peek into the house to see what information I need.

See? I always learn something when I post here. My reasoning was less energy and less wear/tear on the Mac. If it appears there is no REAL benefit to doing so? That comes off the list.

Actually there is one subtlety associated with this issue.  If your Mac has a mechanical hard drive, opinions on divided as to whether or not shutting down the drives will prolong or decrease the life of the drive.  My own experience is that hard drives have an excellent durability left on.  I have lost hard drives either during power outages or when I had to shut them down for some reason.  However, I'm not up on the latest thinking about this.  Perhaps another forum member can comment.

If you have an SSD drive it should make absolutely no difference.

Additional temperature sensors for other parts of the house; this is a 3 story townhome we are buying and I would like to be as energy-efficient as possible with heating.  I may want to add soil probes at a later time. However, I will admit these options are less appealing IF the only way it can be done is to buy this Davis item.

WeatherCat has no problems collecting and displaying the data from extra temperature sensors.  Where the Davis WeatherLink Live could have a potential advantage is integrating with smart thermostats.

At this moment I am leaning towards the Wifi Logger. Better support, better usage ability and cost is lower. My fear with the Davis offering is sometimes bleeding edge is my blood. Would rather wait until API is available and compatible with WeatherCat and many of the startup issues are worked out.

Davis had a reputation for quality, but I too would err on the side of caution.  This is a device like nothing they have every offered before.

Many thanks to you.  [cheers1]

You are most welcome of course!  Other comments are definitely encouraged from the rest of our community!  One thing that the WeatherLink Live supports is Amazon Alexa devices.  There was a thread a while back asking for WeatherCat to be able to interface with these devices:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2897.msg28068#msg28068

Are there more user of Alexa?  Is this something that WeatherCatters are starting to drool over?

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
Re: Caution prudent and Alexa? (Re: Weatherlink Live . . . )
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 12:31:50 PM »
Dear Jenna and WeatherCat faithful,

You are most welcome of course!  Other comments are definitely encouraged from the rest of our community!  One thing that the WeatherLink Live supports is Amazon Alexa devices.  There was a thread a while back asking for WeatherCat to be able to interface with these devices:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2897.msg28068#msg28068

Are there more user of Alexa?  Is this something that WeatherCatters are starting to drool over?

I have absolutely NO INTEREST in using Alexa for anything. I realize its a nice idea, but....NOPE.

Jenna

MichaelMaggs

• Gentle Breeze
    • IHERTSBE2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 05:28:33 PM »
I hope that we're now at the stage where Davis Weatherlink Live (WLL) can be urgently considered for integration with WeatherCat. There are several reasons:

1. The Davis WeatherlinkIP logger has been discontinued, and WLL is the recommended replacement (see https://support.davisinstruments.com/article/mm0g1zjotf-is-weather-link-ip-going-to-be-discontinued). This is now the ONLY way that new wireless Vantage Pro systems can talk to WeatherCat.

2. More and more users - like me - want to be able to integrate weather data into a home automation system. I've started using Home Assistant, the most popular open source program, and have discovered that the WeatherlinkIP logger doesn't have a modern API that can be integrated into such a system. Hence, I've been forced to purchase an upgrade to WLL to get a proper API. That works very well, but means that I can no longer get my data into WeatherCat. No doubt as a short term workaround I can keep both loggers running in parallel, but I'd really like to move the console to a more convenient location out of wired reach of the network.

3. A full API is has been published (https://weatherlink.github.io/weatherlink-live-local-api/)

Could this be reconsidered, please?  :D

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Early beta already available. (Re: Weatherlink Live)
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2021, 11:35:53 PM »
Dear Michael and WeatherCat faithful,

I hope that we're now at the stage where Davis Weatherlink Live (WLL) can be urgently considered for integration with WeatherCat.
. . . .

There is already an early WeatherCat beta that supports Weatherlink Live.  You can learn more about it at the announcement posted here:

https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=3264.0

Cheers, Edouard

MichaelMaggs

• Gentle Breeze
    • IHERTSBE2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 07:57:22 AM »
Thanks, I'll follow that thread.