Author Topic: Wondering about transfer of WeatherCat...  (Read 6255 times)

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
Re: Wondering about transfer of WeatherCat...
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 02:23:53 AM »
Hi all,
Thanks to your help - I got it going!
The only thing now is I've lost mt past statistics.
I assume I can just bring them over - if I can find them on my Mac Pro, yes?
(and I notice I've lost my banner...it's late, sleep, then fix that) - but its reporting fine and the main template is working - Yay!

Thanks,

Bill

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 08:27:56 AM »
If you follow the wiki instructions for moving your WeatherCat install, you should end up with your past stats on the iMac.
Blick

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 11:18:47 AM »
I thought I had - but obviously some files are missing. The advantage of having the old machine on the network is it's drag and drop.
Does anyone know which file is the actual directory for the statistics data? Like, it is today obviously storing info from today and yesterday...if I found that I could then add in the older stuff, yes?
I am having another issue now too in that Weathercat isn't uploading to the FTP server, even though the test passes.

UPDATE - got things going pretty smoothly. I have the station uploading to FTP again, by erasing a plist file, and things seem to be progressing smoothly. I have the station reporting everywhere, and it found the webcam and the FTP site. I found the data files and placed them in the data folder and it worked! Yay.
I guess re-doing the banner is all that's left.

Thanks everyone for all the help,

Bill

ps - here's what it looks like:
http://www.billcurry.ca/weather

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 04:33:06 PM »
Good for you Bill! I took a look at your site and I believe I recognize Edouard's SeaMonkey template. Glad you are up and running on the iMac. Redoing your banner won't take you too long.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 08:53:45 PM »
The image you use for the banner should be (on your Mac Pro): ~/Library/WeatherCatData/BannerGeneratorData/BannerGeneratorImage(in whatever image format you used).
In that same directory is the BannerGeneratorSettings.plist which contains the exact pixel locations for each label, the label text, and the actual info WC inserts.

Both these should be drag 'n droppable to the same location on your iMac.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Reboot after updating .plist files? (Re: Transfer of WeatherCat...)
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 11:14:02 PM »
Dear Bill, Blick, X-Air, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I thought I had - but obviously some files are missing. The advantage of having the old machine on the network is it's drag and drop.

. . . .

UPDATE - got things going pretty smoothly.

Just in case X-Air's point wasn't clear.  macOS/OS X caches the content of at least some of the .plist files.  So when you were restoring files, you needed to reboot your iMac, not simply restart WeatherCat.  So if anything remains out of whack, you might try again moving the .plist file and rebooting before starting WeatherCat once more.

Glad you hear that you are mostly back in business!  ThU5:-)

Good for you Bill! I took a look at your site and I believe I recognize Edouard's SeaMonkey template.

[wink] . . . . . . Hmm, well what do ya' know . . . . that does look suspiciously familiar! . . . .  [biggrin]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 12:48:40 PM »
Hi all,
Thanks again for all the help!
Yes, I got the template (which is the Sea Monkey one - thanks Edouard  [bounce]...) to just drop over and it kept all the template's features except I had to manually add the data for the Statistics page.
It was a fun experience to do this change, and now the Mac Pro can go into the studio, right next to the printer, and I can use the monitor when I teach lessons in the Gallery next door!
Thanks also for the tip on TextWrangler - I have that installed and I like it a lot for tweaking the HTML, which I'll now do when I have time - along with re-doing the banner as I tried moving that but it just doesn't want to do it - but that's not a big job and I'll play with it soon.
Have a great day!
Bill

www.billcurry.ca/weather

jhoke

• Gentle Breeze
  • this space for rent
    • EW5604
    • KPAALBRI11
    • Indian Mountain Lakes - Carbon County Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, MacMini (i5 2.5Ghz 4GBRam 500GB HD, 4TB attached storage), other bits coming soon (UV, etc)
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 12:00:07 AM »
I should also have noted that the developers of TextWrangler state on their website that they are eventually going to retire TextWranger in favour of their paid product BBEdit, but for now, TextWrangler is still available. When you download it they give you one soft push to download the other product instead.

I moved from TW over to using Sublime Text https://www.sublimetext.com/ use it for all my programming needs (PHP/HTML, Ruby, Perl, JAVA, etc etc etc)

I have found I actually LOVE it more than TW by YMMV

mcrossley

• Gale
  • Sorry, I'm not a WeatherCat user!
    • ICHESHIR25
    • Wilmslow Astro Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 + home brew
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 09:44:04 AM »
Whilst not a "visual" editor for HTML, I have moved from Sublime to Microsoft Visual Studio Code - and haven't looked back. It is free, open source, actively developed with a monthly update, and loads of plugin support. It runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac. Like Sublime it runs on a web client engine under the covers.

Don't confuse it with MS Visual Studio, despite the name it is nothing to do with the MS development environment.

I use it for virtually every code task now, the integrated debugger and GitHub support works well. Its great for step by step debugging PHP code which has always been a headache try to figure out on a web server. I use it at work as well, and have converted co-workers to it as well.

Like all editors it takes a little time to get used to and learn the tricks - you'll never know them all!
Mark

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 02:34:31 PM »
it takes a little time to get used to and learn the tricks - you'll never know them all!
Sounds like it was developed by the MS Word crew! [lol]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

mcrossley

• Gale
  • Sorry, I'm not a WeatherCat user!
    • ICHESHIR25
    • Wilmslow Astro Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 + home brew
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 05:12:25 PM »
it takes a little time to get used to and learn the tricks - you'll never know them all!
Sounds like it was developed by the MS Word crew! [lol]
:-X
Like Sublime, too many features, too few hot-keys. Though there is a nice config editor plugin that allows you to switch the config based on the file type you are currently editing. Anyway enough evangelising, just forget it was written by some MS Devs.
Mark

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 05:33:05 PM »
Anyway enough evangelising, just forget it was written by some MS Devs.

Hahahahaha. I'll try.
Blick