Author Topic: New Custom Gauge for Text  (Read 3089 times)

BertL

New Custom Gauge for Text
« on: February 04, 2017, 03:22:51 PM »
I love the use of realtime custom gauges to display only whats most important to me on my macOS desktop.  I appreciate they can additionally be used on websites, but that is not something I use or desire.

What I would truly find useful is to have a new form of custom gauge created that allows display of both limited user-defined text (think of it as a title or description) and output from the WeatherCat current conditions calculator or selectable information the Dock Icon can already display.  Combined with existing gauges, this would allow me to then display at-a-glance on my desktop nearly everything that is most important to me, without creating a website to do the same via a web browser, opening up and performing a WeatherCat inquiry, or by displaying larger more-full-function options WeatherCat provides.

Once the basic capability were provided, then the sky is the limit as to how far additional functions could be made available in the future, perhaps extending to display other WeatherCat variables normally used on a webpage, and as an alternative or secondary destination for WeatherCat email alerts.

Thanks for the consideration.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: New Custom Gauge for Text
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 04:31:35 PM »
A "web page/site" doesn't have to be uploaded anywhere to be viewed on your computer. My own "Home Page" (set in any browser's prefs) is a very simple html page living nowhere except on my hard drive. In other words, you can create a web page with anything that WC can create and just leave it on your hard drive.

The only hard part may be getting WC to just "upload" to a specific directory on your drive rather than to any web space you may (or may not) have. Perhaps Stu can reply to this. There may even be something in the WC Wiki about this.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

BertL

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 05:02:49 PM »
Yes, thank you.  I'm familiar with and have built webpages for my own website before, but requiring even basic HTML may not be something all users may desire to get involved with to see the next layer of basic weather info on their desktop.  I love how WeatherCat already removes most complexity from the user, but allows the possibility to extend itself with further customization.  As you suggest, I couldn't think of an easy way to get WeatherCat variables available to a webpage only on my local system without my first having to run some sort of web server that I could point WeatherCat at as the data recipient, and as much as possible these days, I like simple user solutions.

IMHO, being able to have a new sort of gauge (or call it something different, that's fine) that presents limited user text and key variables, that could be defined inside of WeatherCat as easily as gauges already are, and allow their position to be retained on the macOS desktop as they already can, and just run and update as long as WeatherCat is operational, unencumbered by a web browser needing to also be running, would be simple for any user to do.  WeatherCat does a great job for those wanting to use a website and customize it to their heart's desire, but for those perhaps like me (a new target audience?) that use WeatherCat only for collection of data for my own analysis, and real-time presentation of info on my 27" desktop while I'm using it, this suggested enhancement would bring WeatherCat closer to providing what could be advertised as a full-function custom desktop monitor for all key weather variables, that none of the other competitive alternatives have either.  The user wouldn't be locked-in to just predefined gauges or other displays, and maybe if the new function were extended some day, WeatherCat could do all sort of interesting things with alerts, and more on the desktop itself.  It's all just an idea for Stu to ponder, that I know I'd immediately put to good use!

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 05:19:15 PM »
Completely understand, well, mostly, anyway! ;) I even think it's a fine idea! The coding is totally up to Stu, of course. But since 'coding' is really just 'typing', maybe he can do this over the weekend! [lol] It may even already be on his 'radar'! He already has the 'gauges' client display, so it might be possible to add most of the functions you are suggesting. Even the current gauges and charts are being created by WC, just get them into that 'client' display. Even adding some text content to the current gauges would be a nice addition, in my humble opinion. ThU32:-)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Looked into Synthetic channels? (Re: New Custom Gauge for Text)
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 10:55:04 PM »
Dear Bert, X-Air and WeatherCat "feature-oholics."

What I would truly find useful is to have a new form of custom gauge created that allows display of both limited user-defined text (think of it as a title or description) and output from the WeatherCat current conditions calculator or selectable information the Dock Icon can already display.  Combined with existing gauges, this would allow me to then display at-a-glance on my desktop nearly everything that is most important to me, without creating a website to do the same via a web browser, opening up and performing a WeatherCat inquiry, or by displaying larger more-full-function options WeatherCat provides.

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do, but couldn't you do this using the WeatherCat Synthetic Channels capability?  Take a look at the current WeatherCat manual starting on page 56.  You can definite what is displayed on your custom gauge (or graph) using an AppleScript function and the Synthetic Channel defines the title and so on.

If you want a "custom gauge" for text in which the text is changing, okay this is not what you want.  The other thing you might look into is my suite of AppleScripts:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1039.0

They make extensive use of Growl to provide alerts of changing weather conditions.  Sadly they are almost completely obsolete and my life has become so frantic that I no longer have time to maintain them.  Still, if you are open to getting your hands dirty with code, you might be able to "roll your own" solution.

Cheers, Edouard

BertL

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 11:20:14 PM »
I appreciate everyone's pointers.

I was simply trying to suggest a very-easy-to-use extension to the existing custom gauge capability that WeatherCat already provides.  One of the great things in WeatherCat is existing custom gauges require no user programming, have a great deal of flexibiity with use on the macOS desktop, but the existing custom gauges leave out some important textual data I'd love to also see on my desktop.  ...and yes, I am looking for a custom gauge that deals with changing text -- e.g like some of the textual data presently in the changing dock icon, but selectable, that can be sized, moved, and have colors changed like existing gauges allow.

I too worked with Growl back in the day, but abandoned it long ago.  I also prefer to not do programming if I can help it these days (I spent the early part of my career in that world, and had a personal website for 17+ years that I initially coded by hand in HTML, moved it to Dreamweaver and CSS, then on to Wordpress before I shut it down a few months ago trying to simplify my life).

I'm likely not being descriptive enough, or I'm suggesting something that long-time users of WeatherCat see no value in, so let's drop this idea and close this thread.  As I've said in a couple other threads, my WeatherCat use case appears to be out-of-the-norm today, but I've been trying to suggest a couple things because perhaps that opens a market for a new set of WeatherCat users too.  IDK.  Anyway, Thanks again to everyone trying to assist.  I'll go back to being happy with what I've got.  ;)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 03:20:10 AM »
Well, the idea/thread is now available as long as this forum is around and then as long as the Internet way back site exists! And whether you continue to post or not, the ideas expressed could be useful to Stu and others.

As you suggest, words can sometimes be inefficient to describe our needs or wants. Perhaps a 'rough' sketch would help. Doesn't need to be fancy, to scale or high def (I do NOT recommend Photoshop)!
Or, you can just see how your young idea grows from afar!

BertL

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 01:19:52 PM »
For posterity sake:  :)

Concept:  Text Gauges which allow an alternative way to see existing data available in other places within WeatherCat, but also provide data that is not available in existing gauges when used on the macOS desktop.

Sample:  4 different text gauge examples that could compliment or replace existing gauges on my desktop, depending on the user's need and preference for data presentation.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 02:47:03 PM »
A perfect example of why I stopped using "Icon View" back in OS 8! cmu:-) Gregg's Browser solved that problem! Seriously, I think it?s a great and useful idea! Thanks for the examples, also! ThU5:-)

PS: You seem to be pretty capable in the graphics area, also! :)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 04:07:23 PM »
BertL,

I completely understood your suggestion from the get go, and it would make an excellent addition to the WeatherCat tool set. I think it got confused when xair got us off-track on creating local web pages, which is clearly not your suggestion.

I keep my WeatherCat gauges/charts open on a separate window to easily view the weather information *I* want to see. But it gets to be too much information to show the few items I really want to see, such as whether the pressure is falling or what my soil temps are at a glance. Instead, I just leave too Live Data window open, but that has much more information for a simple glance. Sure, I could write a simple web page, or try to come up with what I wanted using Synthetic Channels (Something I haven't fiddled with because it looks too complicated at first glance), but having a simple checkbox for what parameters you would like to see as shown in your examples would be a welcome addition, especially for new users not interested in complexities.

Please continue to suggest features from the new user point of view! You are correct that most of us have many years experience with WeatherCat and overlook the things a new user might want. Suggestions like this and simple templates are oft times met with dismissal or repeated claims of 'why bother, even a kindergartener can write html.' This is not helpful, and at times, insulting. At 63, I don't *want* to have to learn a new language just to see the weather information the program already supplies, but maybe not in the way I want to see it. Suggestions like yours, simple locally useable templates, etc. are what many users might be interested in, and make WeatherCat an even bigger success.

Thank you for your contributions, and please keep it up.
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 11:04:42 PM »
Probably wins the prize for the most detailed and well presented feature request ever :)

Added to the list, thanks!