Author Topic: First storm of the 2016-17 North CA rainy season  (Read 19328 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
A gentle but juicy start! (Re: 2016-17 North CA rainy season)
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 11:47:40 PM »
Dear X-Air, Blick, and WeatherCat west coast drought watchers,

That same storm is predicted to drop 3-4 feet of snow outside my front window over the next several days. Not sure if I believe the forecast, but the extrapolated forecast from WU adjusted for my location has been quite accurate for snow, less so for rain.

Well, I can't tell you what will happen when the storm reaches you, but we have had a prolonged period of very gentle rains.  The peak rate never exceeded 1/4" but we've bagged 0.82" of rain to this moment.  This afternoon's forecast discussion starts with:

.SYNOPSIS...Look for scattered showers to continue into Friday.    Widespread rain will return starting late Friday as a front approaches our region. Rain will changer over to showers late on Saturday with drier conditions forecast for Sunday. More systems are on tap starting the middle of next week.

Just hope he rain doesn't fill the reservoirs with mud slides! Remember, every silver lining has a dark cloud inside! [rolleyes2] :o [banghead]

;) . . . Awe shucks X-Air!  Didn't you know that inside very big problem is a little problem struggling to get out!!  lol(1)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
*Sigh*, been there - mopped that . . . (Re: 2016-17 North CA rainy season)
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 10:38:23 PM »
Dear WeatherCat Western United States victims of feast or famine,

10 days in December and sadly the first nuisance flooding has occurred in the workshop.  There is a root that has tunneled too close to the south wall of the workshop and when we get too much rain, water seeps in along that path.

My value of rainfall for a normal December around here is 3.54 inches.  In only 3 days we have already picked up 2.87" and it is still coming down.  Next week is setting up as an "atmospheric river" phenomena basically guaranteeing will exceed the normal rainfall for the month by the end of the week.

Alas, this is anything but good news really.  Lots of rain along the coast doesn't help the water supply.  These are warm storms that don't dump as much snow which is the major water storage system in most Western states.  Worse still, there is a disturbing pattern.  In 3 of the 4 years where we had well above normal December rainfall, we had well below normal January rainfall.

It is very early in the 2016-17 rainy season, but I'm cured of the idea that early rains mean we'll have an abundant rainy season.  It still might happen, but I'll remain skeptical as I mop up the water . . . . .

*Sigh*, . . . . . . . Edouard

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
Re: First storm of the 2016-17 North CA rainy season
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 11:53:34 PM »
We are located in the western foothills of the Sierra Nevada. Our December rain total is now at 4.7 inches. Granted, we didn't get snowfall in the higher elevations, but that will come in early 2017. Our well's static water level has already risen 2 feet and that was just from the recent 3-day rainy spell. Can't complain about that.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Any trouble with flooding? (Re: 2016-17 North CA rainy season)
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 12:21:13 AM »
Dear Grand and WeatherCat Western USofA "feast or famine" victims,

We are located in the western foothills of the Sierra Nevada. Our December rain total is now at 4.7 inches. Granted, we didn't get snowfall in the higher elevations, but that will come in early 2017. Our well's static water level has already risen 2 feet and that was just from the recent 3-day rainy spell. Can't complain about that.

Yes getting water is always a good thing - so long as it isn't too much of a good thing.  I see that most of the Sierras are under a flash flood watch for next weeks rain.  I hope you haven't had a problems and that your good luck will continue!

Cheers, Edouard

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 07:32:23 PM »
I see that most of the Sierras are under a flash flood watch for next weeks rain.
Indeed, our county did get flash floods, but fortunately there was no property damage. There's another "atmospheric river" headed our way starting tomorrow. Batten down the hatches and put on the rain gear! We're ready.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 11:00:11 PM »
These storms moved east and we got 14 inches of snow out of them this past weekend here along the Wasatch Mountains in northern Utah. Keep shoveling them our way so I can shovel more snow.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
As ready as I can be! (Re: 2016-17 North CA rainy season)
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2016, 01:17:57 AM »
Dear Grand, Blick, and WeatherCat experts at Batten down hatches

There's another "atmospheric river" headed our way starting tomorrow. Batten down the hatches and put on the rain gear! We're ready.

I scrambled around the yard this afternoon.  We are about as ready as we can get!

Bring on the rain! 

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Da' Monster storm has arrived! (Re: 2016-17 North CA rainy season)
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2016, 11:53:45 PM »
Dear WeatherCat Western United States victims of "feast or famine,"

A heavy rain event that has been forecast for several days has finally reached the San Francisco East Bay.  The heavy rains started about 2 hours ago and are expected to last at least twice as long as that.  We may pick up somewhere between 1 and 2 inches of rain (25-50 mm).  Of course with this amount of rain in a short time damage is likely.  About 1/2 hour ago I went out to find a branch from our Acacia tree had cracked and was now reaching the ground.  We just had the trees trimmed and I had asked the Arborist to check that branch in particular because it had cracked in the past.  Obviously, the didn't lighten it enough, because that is where the branch cracked again.

It is a good thing that the rains are supposed to stop by tomorrow, I appears I have a lot of wood removal to do . . . .

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2016, 06:41:41 PM »
Sorry for your tree. Snowing here. 7 inches so far today with high water content. Good stuff.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Da' MAIN event!! (Re: 2016-17 North CA rainy season)
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2016, 12:04:34 AM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat Western USofA drought watchers,

The storm was still pounding away as I wrote my last posting.  Here is the "blow by blow" as reported by my WC Storm Monitor AppleScript:

For coastal Northern California, receiving 1.78" (45.2mm) in a continuous period lasting almost 9 hours is in the top 10% of storms.   Rainfall rates of 1.4"/hr (35.6mm/hr) is also very heavy.  In addition to the tree, the nuisance flooding in the workshop started again.  If the rains return soon, I'll have to cover an area in front of the workshop with a tarp to prevent any additional moisture reaching that part of the foundation.

Sorry for your tree.

Here is the fallen branch:

Here is a close-up of the crack in the branch that caused the branch to fall:

The arborist thought the crack had healed up, but obviously it wasn't strong enough to bare the weight so it opened up again.  So it falls on me to remove this branch.  I'm about 50% of the way on that chore.

Snowing here. 7 inches so far today with high water content. Good stuff.

I'm glad you got some helpful snow.  Unfortunately for us it ended up raining on almost all of the Sierras.  I haven't read up on the situation, but I suspect we actually lost snow because of this storm.  I suppose you can't win them all.

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2016, 12:48:00 AM »
We set three all-time records today for my weather station:
  • Lowest recorded pressure: 29.13 inHg
  • Highest recorded wind speed: 51.0 MPH
  • Snowiest day: 12 inches, containing 1.14 inches of precipitation
One of the freeways in a nearby canyon is closed, we have an avalanche warning and the ski resorts (two within 45 minutes, two more within an hour, six more within 90 minutes and another 4 within 4 hours) are jumping moguls for joy.

A pretty good day for weather enthusiasts in Utah.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Congratulations! (Re: 2016-17 North CA rainy season)
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2016, 10:43:28 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat fans of "exciting" weather,

We set three all-time records today for my weather station:
  • Lowest recorded pressure: 29.13 inHg
  • Highest recorded wind speed: 51.0 MPH
  • Snowiest day: 12 inches, containing 1.14 inches of precipitation
One of the freeways in a nearby canyon is closed, we have an avalanche warning and the ski resorts (two within 45 minutes, two more within an hour, six more within 90 minutes and another 4 within 4 hours) are jumping moguls for joy.

A pretty good day for weather enthusiasts in Utah.

Glad the weather has been good for you and you escaped all the potential bad.  Interesting that the low pressure intensified after passing over us.  The lowest pressure I observed was only 29.58".

Today, I finished cutting back that damaged branch.  Such things are so much more challenging and potentially dangerous when you have to do this all by yourself.

Oh well, . . . Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2016, 02:43:37 PM »
I finished cutting back that damaged branch.  Such things are so much more challenging and potentially dangerous when you have to do this all by yourself.
Surely you could have backed up your 'wagon' under the branch and stood on it's top to wield the chainsaw! Of course, you could also tie a chain around the bumper to drag the limb to the street... I'm jis' sayin' the wagon has plenty of power... ;D

Hillbilly Car Roof Climbing Tip: Roll down one of the winders (ifin hit still has glass in it), open thet door. First step is on thet door frame, second on the bottom edge of the open winder, last one is on to the roof. Sumetimes its helpful to prop thet door open with a fence post, the dang things kin close on you jist whens you need it open!! Glad ta help! [tup]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Another "brisk" storm! (Re: 2016-17 North CA rainy season)
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2016, 11:37:02 PM »
Dear WeatherCat Western United States drought watchers,

We had another "brisk" storm blow through today.  It isn't finished, but we already have 0.76" of rain (19.3 mm).  That brings our December total to 5.78" (149 mm) which is 63% above a normal December.  The week is supposed to start out dry but who knows.  The National Weather Service Climate Prediction Center 8-14 day outlook for precipitation is for above normal rainfall.  So we might get one more storm before the start of the new year.

Cheers, Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
One-Two punch? (Re: 2016-17 North CA rainy season)
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2017, 11:38:03 PM »
Dear WeatherCat sufferers of precipitation feast or famine,

I was very worried that January would usher in another dry period. Of the 7 years of January data I have at my station, 4 were well below normal.  This year still could easily end up below normal, but that's not how things are starting.  As in December, we are in an "atmospheric river" pattern.  A first storm is winding down after dumping 1.74" of rain (44.2mm).  That's over 1/3 of January's normal rainfall in just 2 days!  A second storm is expected to dump even more rain than the first over the weekend and the Climate Prediction Center is forecasting above normal rainfall 14 days out!

The drought was so severe that all the rain we received in December basically was swallowed up by the thirsty ground.  However, now the ground is finally saturated.  So these rains will lead to accelerated runoff.  Flooding seems unavoidable and landslides may also be in the cards.

So Northern California looks to be in the crosshairs of more than it can easily handle.  It may not be long before we make national headlines.

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard