Author Topic: Steve and Deb's 2016 Cross-Country Adventure  (Read 9126 times)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Steve and Deb's 2016 Cross-Country Adventure
« on: September 11, 2016, 03:03:42 AM »
Road Trip! We leave tomorrow!

We were gone 42 days last year, but I don't think it will be quite as long this time. Probably around a month. Like last year, we will leave from the Cleveland, Ohio area and head west. Unlike last year, we won't be making the trip to Seattle in four days of mind-numbing interstate driving. Our daughter saw all the great places we explored on our return trip last year, and asked if we could leave earlier so she could see some this time.

We will most likely head across Iowa again, but continue west across Nebraska instead of up to Sioux Falls and across South Dakota like last time. Then wander our way northwestward to take in several state and national parks.

I'll be posting photos on Instagram, which will then be shared to Facebook if you'd like to follow along.
Instagram: https://instagram.com/explore_the_usa/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ExploringTheUSA

(Please do not reference or link to anything that might identify me or my location closer than northern Ohio.)

This is our general route headed west. I don't know where we'll go on the return trip.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Steve and Deb's 2016 Cross-Country Adventure
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 06:48:57 AM »
Have fun - and don't get arrested.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
You forgot the trailer! (Re: Steve and Deb's 2016 Cross-Country Adventure)
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 11:16:52 PM »
Dear Steve, Blick, and WeatherCat road trip warriors, . . .

Road Trip! We leave tomorrow!

;) . . . . Yeah, but you forgot to get yourself a vintage travel trailer again! . . . . . .

Seriously, have a great time and do pop in on the forum when you have a chance!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 04:04:00 AM »
We made it to Davenport, Iowa today. We'll head to Lincoln, Nebraska tomorrow to meet up with one of Claire's friends.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 05:51:14 AM »
Uploading photos of the past couple days now that I have an Internet connection that isn't dial-up speed... We are in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho tonight, and will reach Seattle tomorrow.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 10:07:06 PM »
Steve, just checked out your Facebook postings and photos. Looks like you are having a blast. I too have owned both a Subaru and a 4-Runner. For me, the 4-Runner was way more comfortable, but the Subaru handled much better on snow and ice. Interested in your take. Keep on posting.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 12:10:26 AM »
Steve:

We know your are on the road but last year when you were on the road you upgraded to El Capitan. Are you running macOS Sierra yet?
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 07:13:13 AM »
Steve:

We know your are on the road but last year when you were on the road you upgraded to El Capitan. Are you running macOS Sierra yet?

I upgraded while on the road last year?!?! That doesn't ring a bell, but I forget a lot of things these days. That seems pretty bold! If so, I'm not doing it this time.

We are in Bellingham, Washington at this time. We got Claire all moved into her apartment, and have left Seattle behind. I don't like cities much, and Seattle is way to busy for me. We don't have any firm plans yet, but will keep you up to date on where we are.

The 4Runner has been very comfortable, and we went on a trail in the Tetons that I don't think I would have taken the Outback on. The 4Runner didn't even blink at some of the rougher areas. We'll see next winter how it handles snow. It will be hard to beat the AWD Subaru offers.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 04:30:45 AM »
We've been wandering around a lot since my last posting here. Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and now Utah. John, I'm just NW of you in Tremonton. We'll be in the SLC area for 2-3 days, and then head east, either via I-70 or I-80. If I-70, we might end up in your neighborhood. It'd be nice to stop and say hi! No promises at this point, though.

Instagram: https://instagram.com/explore_the_usa/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ExploringTheUSA
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 04:50:52 AM »
My brother in law, just retired who is 61  biked (bicycle) from LA across the US  to the Atlantic ocean.   That is an accomplishment.
My wife and I have driven from Iowa to Nova Scotia 3 times ,  as far as Cheticamp.

Nothing beats a road trip, but being 61 years old, with a pacemaker and bicycling says more to me.  Geez  makes me tired considering it.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 04:59:46 AM »
Steve:

Would love to see you if it works out; understand if it doesn't. We live about 10 miles east of Heber City, which is 20 miles south of Park City, which is 20 miles east of Salt Lake City. I'll PM you my mobile number.
Blick

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 05:02:55 AM »
Be careful in Iowa, Eastern Iowa,  a lot of flooding going on, but by the time you get there, the water should be down.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Glad it is going well! (Re: Steve and Deb's 2016 Cross-Country Adventure)
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 12:04:16 AM »
Dear Steve, Weatheraardvark, Blick, and WeatherCat adventurers, . . .

We've been wandering around a lot since my last posting here. Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and now Utah.

Glad that you and Deb are having another great adventure!  [tup]

My brother in law, just retired who is 61  biked (bicycle) from LA across the US  to the Atlantic ocean.   That is an accomplishment.

That's quite journey but these days I don't know if it is all that safe purely from the way that cars and bicycles no longer mix.  I used to do a lot of cycling in my area but had to give it up because bad drivers and too many cyclists who also weren't the most polite or skilled.  Riding in an area that you know well gives you a leg up on the potential danger spots.  Riding across the country these days would be something that would frighten me.

Cheers, Edouard

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
Re: Glad it is going well! (Re: Steve and Deb's 2016 Cross-Country Adventure)
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 04:54:37 PM »
Dear Steve, Weatheraardvark, Blick, and WeatherCat adventurers, . . .

We've been wandering around a lot since my last posting here. Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and now Utah.

Glad that you and Deb are having another great adventure!  [tup]

That's quite journey but these days I don't know if it is all that safe purely from the way that cars and bicycles no longer mix.  I used to do a lot of cycling in my area but had to give it up because bad drivers and too many cyclists who also weren't the most polite or skilled.  Riding in an area that you know well gives you a leg up on the potential danger spots.  Riding across the country these days would be something that would frighten me.

Cheers, Edouard

He followed historic Route 66 the whole way.   He blogged along and met a lot of folks that biked from other countries.  Bike travel is great, but motorists and two legged pond scum are a fright it seems.  Anyway, Have a great trip, enjoy.  Nothing beats a road trip.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 08:22:46 AM »
My wife and I met Steve and his wife tonight in Heber City, where they bought our dinner! We had a wonderful time getting better acquainted with one another. We covered lots of topics, including some of you because you were not there to defend yourselves.  :)

Steve has been a very helpful resource on the forum for years and it was a treat to meet him in person.

From a historical perspective, this was the first ever meeting of two WeatherCatters face to face in Utah. It was a very enjoyable experience and we are pleased to have become a very small part of Steve and Deb's 2016 Cross Country Adventure. Thanks for a great night out Steve.
Blick