Author Topic: On going connection problem with iPad  (Read 3313 times)

johnpolak

• Gentle Breeze
    • ITOMINTO2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 on iMac running OSX 10.10.5
On going connection problem with iPad
« on: February 11, 2016, 09:15:18 AM »
I don't seem to be able to connect to local with my iPad when using WeatherCatPad. I have posted this problem before and the 're-boot, tick enable server' solution seemed to work. But now I cannot connect at all - I just keep getting the 'searching for local' message. I recently updated to El Capitain - not sure if that may be something to do with it - although i think it was working at first. So frustrating!! Anyone else had the same experience?

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: On going connection problem with iPad
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 02:49:20 PM »
John:

Have you followed the instructions on page 116 of the WeatherCat manual under How Do I Use The WeatherCat Client Program? You will need to forward the ports (49250-49254) in your router in order to use the iOS client on your iPad from the Internet.

If you have already forwarded the ports, try restarting your router. I have occasionally had to shut down my router, wait 30 seconds and restart it in order to use the WeatherCat iOS app. The port scanner in the OS X Network Utility will tell you if the forwarded ports are visible on your network (don't worry if all 5 of the ports don't show up in a scan).

By the way, watch your WeatherCat Log on a restart of WeatherCat. It will tell you if those ports are properly bound. When you first start WeatherCat, about 20 or 30 lines down from the top, in the Log, you should see this line: WeatherCat server is starting - running on port 49250. If the remote server does not properly start that line will say something about unable to bind to port 49250.

Hope this helps.
Blick

johnpolak

• Gentle Breeze
    • ITOMINTO2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 on iMac running OSX 10.10.5
Re: On going connection problem with iPad
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 06:03:32 PM »
Thanks Blick. I'm not really up on checking ports etc - but another restart of the router seems to have solved the problem. At least for now! Long term, I will see if I can get into the router to check this port information.

John.

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Open Ports
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 08:00:27 PM »
If you have an airport extreme, open the Airport Utility in your Applications Folder->Utilities Folder.

Click on the Network Tab and then look at the Port Settings box. You should have created a port setting rule to open those required ports. I named my rule WeatherCatServer. Click on the rule to highlight it and click edit to check the ports. It should look like the second image. This is the main reason why a static IP address assigned to your main computer is crucial, because if its IP address can float, then these rules of open ports are meaningless, regardless of the router you use, and the "server" function won't work. If you have a different brand router, the settings should be similar. I hope this helps,

dfw
A clear conscience is a great pillow.