Author Topic: Live Gauges  (Read 3339 times)

HairyMcLeary

• Strong Breeze
    • DW5912
    • INORTHOT6
  • Station Details: LaCrosse WS2355, iMac 2.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, Mountain Lion
Live Gauges
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:47:40 PM »
Hi Guys,

I did this just as a proof of concept, and I don't think I'll keep them.

With a wee bit of fiddling of the WCT_realtime.txt for Ken True's Saratoga web templates I have successfully managed to get some live gauges to show on a website with data produced by WC.

They are using the gauge set produced for Cumulus by Sandaysoft, but there are other gauge sets out there that might work.

The gauges will update in realtime but I have them set to update every minute to conserve bandwidth.

At the moment they are running on a modified realtime.txt which is separate from the WCL_realtime.txt which is needed to run the Saratoga websites, so you need to update both at very short update cycle time to make your site appear "live"

http://www.oamaruweather.net.nz/live.html

Tony

[Edit: We are experiencing very settled weather with little or no wind - so it might be a bit like watching paint dry! ]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Live Gauges
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »
Very nice, Tony! Is this using some of the "SilverSeries" gauges recently created on the weather-watch? I'd asked about how to incorporate them into the LWC Custom CGI over on the MacWeather forum a couple of months ago.

http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/board,61.0.html

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks for the experiment!! (Re: Live Gauges)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 07:27:30 PM »
Thanks Tony for the proof of concept!!  [tup]

I did this just as a proof of concept, and I don't think I'll keep them.

With a wee bit of fiddling of the WCT_realtime.txt for Ken True's Saratoga web templates I have successfully managed to get some live gauges to show on a website with data produced by WC.

I would like to explore what can be done with inserting some live gauges into websites that already exist with minimal disruption.  You are taking us in that direction.  With all due respect to Ken's templates, they are little busy for my tastes and after all - I'd like to do it "my way!"  ;D

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]