Author Topic: WeatherCat SeaMonkey web templates now available.  (Read 73166 times)

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
Re: WeatherCat SeaMonkey web templates now available.
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2016, 11:40:13 AM »
Hi all,
I am quite happy with what I've got going using this template, but I do like the look of the other gauges I see on some folks websites.
How does one do like this:
http://www.overlookweather.com/WeatherCat/index.html

Do you have to load a whole set of gauge images?
Mine currently looks like this:
http://www.billcurry.ca/weather
and I'd like to play with other gauge looks...

Thanks,
Bill

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Steel gauges (Re: WeatherCat SeaMonkey web templates)
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2016, 05:11:35 PM »
Dear Bill and WeatherCat web spinners, . . .

I am quite happy with what I've got going using this template, but I do like the look of the other gauges I see on some folks websites.
How does one do like this:
http://www.overlookweather.com/WeatherCat/index.html

Those are what are called Steel Gauges:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=576.0

If I understand correctly, they are implemented with a mixture of PHP, Ajax, and JSON.  This is a modern web technology and it can be incorporated into any web page include the SeaMonkey templates.  Others have gotten the Steel Gauges to work on various web templates, you might start a thread so ask how they did it.

Sorry, I would like to help you with this but . . . . there aren't enough hours in the day to get done what I need to do!  [banghead]

Cheers, Edouard

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2016, 06:21:58 PM »
Thanks-
That's what I was afraid of - I'll have a look at the Steel Gauges thread and see if it would be worth it to me!

Cheers,
Bill

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2016, 09:55:23 PM »
Hi Bill and Edouard
 Those gauges on overlookweather are WeatherCats Custon Gauges not the Steel Guages.
Try this:
Open his site in Safari
Then go to file and save it as an source page to your desktop
then open SeaMonkey and open the saved Source file in it
this should give you and ideal of how its done in SeaMonkeys composer page
you will need the web tags for the custom gauges that you have to create to get

cheers

[cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
My bad (Re: WeatherCat SeaMonkey web templates)
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2016, 11:09:52 PM »
Dear Randall, Bill, and WeatherCat web spinner,

Those gauges on overlookweather are WeatherCats Custon Gauges not the Steel Guages.

Oops, my bad!  :-[

I had to make an unusual early morning visit to the forum to answer a PM and tried to blaze through the postings rather than lose track of them.  So I didn't look very carefully.

Indeed if you want to just use the WeatherCat custom gauges instead of the original gauges that is as easy as changing the web tags.  Just create for yourself those custom gauges, write down the tag names before closing the gauge creation window and then inserting those tags into the SeaMonkey template in the place of the old gauges.  You can read more on how the custom gauges work starting on page 38 of the current WeatherCat manual.

Cheers, Edouard

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2016, 12:59:03 AM »
 Ok,
I see this, but that leads to a question-
The original was something like DWINDD$ and then I see the CUSTOMGAUGE$1$
So, is the routine to just sub the CUSTOMGAUGE$1$ for the DWINDD$ or do they go together like  DWINDCUSTOMGAUGE$1$

Thanks,
Bill

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2016, 01:08:57 AM »
Just substitute your new gauge for the old on the template, and you'll be golden!

Thanks again to Edouard for putting together a nice user-friendly, customizable template.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2016, 12:34:22 PM »
Thanks-
I think I have the idea, I'll see what I can do...

Bill

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2016, 02:44:50 PM »
Hi all,
I played with the template and the Custom Gauges and got that figured out thanks to the tips above.
I think it looks pretty good...
Thanks also to Eduoard who made such a great template - it really dresses up the output and takes advantage of what WeatherCat and my Davis Vantage Pro 2 can do together.
Great fun,
Bill

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2016, 03:58:51 PM »
That looks great, Bill! Now that you know how to fiddle with the template, you'll probably find other little tweaks to add or modify. It is addictive! ;)
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Congrats Bill! (Re: WeatherCat SeaMonkey web templates)
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2016, 10:52:20 PM »
Dear Bill, Steve, and WeatherCat web spinners!

Looks nice Bill!  [tup]

Glad you took the time to made the modification!  As Steve points out, you can continue to tweak and explore.  Just make sure to keep a copy of the previous success just in case an intended "improvement" becomes seriously messed up.  In a way, that is exactly what these templates were intended to be, just a starting point for people to come up with their own creation.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2016, 06:45:04 AM »
Bill:

I took a tour of your weather see and I like it. Edouard's template is simple and clean. You've done a nice job with it.
Blick

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2016, 11:25:13 AM »
Thanks all-
It is really fun to be able to take advantage of some of the power of both the Vantage Pro 2 station and the WeatherCat software in combination to yield the website.
I think you are absolutely right that I will find some more tweaks, as you are also right - it IS addictive!
What a great community to be able to be part of and help each other out.
Again, many thanks,
Bill

idunn

• Strong Breeze
  • name: idunn
    • icantono2
    • Magpie Hill
  • Station Details: WS1080, iMac 10.9.5, Canon Powershot A510 zoomed with gphoto2, located at 950m in Gross Switzerland, Webcam view SE to Alps on magpie-hill.com on WeatherCloud (MagpieHill) and Wunderground (ID icantono2)
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2016, 04:11:00 PM »
Edouard,

I ran across your templates as I was trying to find out how to do a Custom Webpage.  You have done a lot of work setting up this teaching material.  One question:  Will I be able to pass the webcam in a Custom Webpage on to WU and others? Will it have a URL?  I am not happy with the webcam compression results of WC.

Irving

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Problem would be sizing. (Re: WeatherCat SeaMonkey web templates)
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2016, 10:51:53 PM »
Dear Irving and WeatherCat web spinners,

I ran across your templates as I was trying to find out how to do a Custom Webpage.  You have done a lot of work setting up this teaching material.  One question:  Will I be able to pass the webcam in a Custom Webpage on to WU and others? Will it have a URL?  I am not happy with the webcam compression results of WC.

The webcam image shown in my templates is indeed just a URL and I use the Weather Underground image on my personal page, so that won't be a problem.  However, you might run into a problem because you can take such wonderfully beautiful images in high resolution.  The website was sized around images in the 640x480 pixel range.  I just checked, the overall size of the webpages is set by the outer table and it is set to 824 pixels.  So you would give yourself a larger canvas for your webcam images just by changing that one value.  Still, I would recommend that you don't use images are are too large.  This template is perfect for iPad and smaller laptops.  If you take advantage of the higher resolution available in modern computers, you might find that some people won't be able see your website without scrolling.

Cheers, Edouard