Author Topic: Web Hosting company recommendation  (Read 1787 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Web Hosting company recommendation
« on: December 17, 2018, 09:26:22 PM »
There are fewer and fewer truly independent hosting companies these days. Many are being bought up by Endurance International Group (EIG), which itself was bought by Accel-KKR and GS Capital Partners back in 2011. Here are a couple of sites that warning about using any of the brands that have been brought into their fold:
  As Full As Possible List of EIG Companies and Brands With Details
  EIG Hosting Companies Brands With Details (+ Non-EIG Hosting Recommendation)

I'm still using Hostgator because I signed up for 3 yrs. My domain is handled by Namecheap. No real complaints with either company, but I plan on moving to CrocWeb for my hosting next year.

I'll be moving to CrocWeb, even though it's based in Canada. That has never been a problem for the past 9 months, when another forum I help administer, switched to them. Their help has been patient, quick, detailed and extremely helpful even though we are using their cheapest plan: 10GB SSD storage, unlimited bandwidth for $106 for the first 3 years (that can be further reduced to $63.72 by using a 40% discount code which I'll be happy to send you).

I've seen at least one company offering $1.50/mon (with a multi-year contrct, I'm sure), but I'm not sure what we should expect, in the way of "service", for that price! [banghead]

I do not have a cert so I'm still not using https. By the time that becomes a major factor for non-info collecting sites, I may be too old to keep a site, anyway. [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks for the information. (Re: Web Hosting company recommendation)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 10:11:33 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat web spinners,

Thanks for the eye-opening references.  I wasn't aware of EIG and it's tactics, but it sounds like the web hosting equivalent of Standard Oil or Carnegie Steel of the previous epoch of trusts.  I was surprised not to see GoDaddy listed as one of the victims.  I guess it is large enough to thus far avoid acquisition. Whether that is a good thing or not is an open question!  ???

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Web Hosting company recommendation
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 10:45:59 PM »
I have access to the backend of another site in addition to my own (I serve on their Board of Directors). They are hosted by GatorHost. What a joke. I use NewTek Technology Solutions to host my website. Love 'em.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Web Hosting company recommendation
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 03:09:43 PM »
That's an interesting article. I've been with HostDime in Florida since they started in 2003. It is now a large, privately owned company that has been growing slowly but steadily over the years.

The shared hosting program that I am on is no longer available to new customers, as they've mostly moved to larger business accounts. But the legacy accounts are still well supported with minimal price increases over the past 15 years.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook